Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
J. Hückel´s Söhne Promotional Pocket Mirrors

8261835570_7468a42d66_b.jpg

AMAZING haul, Steve!! I have always been a fan of this type of illustration. The early hat ads (no matter if they are on paper or the back of a mirror) are simply fantastic. When it comes to advertising, I much prefer illustrated artwork over actual real life photos.

Josh, Thanks! I believe these illustrations were also used for print advertisement. By the way your current avatar photo would fit perfectly! :)

Last edited:
P. & C. Habig Vienna Brass Plate (16,5 x 13 cm, late 1800s early 1900s)

8263920819_c95884dca4_b.jpg

I believe this is one of the crests used for export to non-German speaking countries. For German speaking countries it would have had Wien / Hutmacher instead of Vienna / Hatters. Highly possible it was displayed in one of the P. & C. Habig locations in Vienna.

Last edited:
Feiner Junge Bursche mit Stock und Hut (Bremen, 1915)

8272550207_40ab8d8c1f_b.jpg

I was looking through some old hat photos and found this one. The young fellow has a damn nice hat!

sierra 18

New in Town
Hi, new member here, and am interested in getting a Mayser hat, crushable felt, ear flaps for the cooler weather. Does anyone here have any experience with that particular model (which I've only been able to find for sale online at The Village Hat Shop, San Diego, CA, although I'm located in Canada).

Thanks for any info,

Chris

Hi, new member here, and am interested in getting a Mayser hat, crushable felt, ear flaps for the cooler weather. Does anyone here have any experience with that particular model (which I've only been able to find for sale online at The Village Hat Shop, San Diego, CA, although I'm located in Canada).

Thanks for any info,

Chris

Do you have a link?

NHD, Thanks!

Sierra18, As Jared said it's a wool hat. Mayser makes nice hats but it would be better to go with a fur felt at this price. Are you interested because of the earflaps?

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
My Habig Sport Ventilo arrived yesterday! That is a nice mix between a Fedora and a Tyrolian Hat.
This hat was made in the 50s and has Ventholes in the sweatband front area and felt stripes for air circulation.
Outside condition is like new, the sweatband looks like much worn.

habigventilo11.jpg

The details photos shows the Habig Ventilo Patent, the felt stripes as air condition
habigventilo12.jpg

sierra 18

New in Town
Somewhat, as the ear flaps would make it a nice choice for the cooler days here. I'd like something that's a bit more stylish than the standard knit hat. Do you have suggestions in this price point for fur felt?

NHD, Thanks!

Sierra18, As Jared said it's a wool hat. Mayser makes nice hats but it would be better to go with a fur felt at this price. Are you interested because of the earflaps?

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Sierra, ebay is a good place to look after a nice felt hat. Ear flaps are nothing for hats!
Look at the hat that I posted. This one was for 17,00 EUR from Ebay with an high quality felt. If you prefer the brim down, you could steam it in your shape what you want.

Somewhat, as the ear flaps would make it a nice choice for the cooler days here. I'd like something that's a bit more stylish than the standard knit hat. Do you have suggestions in this price point for fur felt?

The problem is the dollar is fairly week against the EURO so you are going pay more for a Mayser. I have a couple new Mayser fur felts for sale (sizes 57, 60cm). The price is close to wholesale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251190838313?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Also as Manfred mentioned you can look for vintage hats on eBay.

Manfred, The P. & C. Habig Sport looks fantastic! Probably some leather treatment would help with the sweatband. The Ventilo vent is system is really great. I tested one of mine out while riding a bicycle and it actually works!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters