Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Dinerman said:
J.F. Reiser

IMG_3112.jpg

Very nice Homburg! :eusa_clap

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Film document of Berlin in 1929. Lots of hats :rolleyes:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XtoRYmKRwIE&hl=de&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XtoRYmKRwIE&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Here is another, earlier, one featuring hunting Homburgs.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QkdHYKM9d_I&hl=de&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QkdHYKM9d_I&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Johann Hückel´s Söhne, Jota Seal Velour

Johann Hückel´s Söhne, Jota Seal Velour, black with a hint of blue (probably 1930s). The Seal Velour finish is fantastic!

4073147246_379e29f7a4_b.jpg

4073148260_e12f36fc2c_b.jpg

4073147906_a8492e8638_b.jpg

4072387771_fd150afe78_b.jpg

4072388189_c6354ed359_b.jpg

3894725524_fb33bec9f0_b.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:
Johann Hückel´s Söhne, Jota Seal Velour, black with a hint of blue (probably 1930s). The Seal Velour finish is fantastic!

4073147246_379e29f7a4_b.jpg

Simply wonderful! Elegant!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
That seal velour is an incredible hat. I have a huckel Mercure that is also very thick probable dating from the mid 1960's. They made great hats. They still make the best velour.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Wegener Homburg

Wegener Homburg, Dark Blue. This is a special model made for A. Breiter Munich. Very nice dark blue felt that is especially pliable for a Homburg (similar to Borsalino Homburgs). I am thinking early 1950s but it could be older (very early 40s?).

4077709721_ab57752f17_b.jpg

4077709837_cc329405e4_b.jpg

4077710403_3d2ea008d9_b.jpg

4077710525_389ca247cc_b.jpg

4078463970_a8d75a5ce3_b.jpg

4078463860_8486102af0_b.jpg

4078463726_453ac8f6ea_b.jpg

Stetson - Mayser

From a friend. Some background info regarding Stetson operations in Europe.

Mayser had owned the Stetson license for Europe before FWS* got it. The hats then were high end products like the fur felt Stetsons made in
the USA (just different shapes and a smooth finish all made by Mayser in Lindenberg). The problem: the hats were very expensive and hardly
anybody bought them. Too little sales for Stetson, so they gave it to FWS, who labeled the whole collection.

http://www.stetson-europe.com/

besdor said:
I think some of the Stetson Europe hats may still be made in the USA by Bollman as well as Isesa of Spain. I remember seeing samples when I was there a few years ago.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Yes you are correct. Here is some info about FWS from a hatter friend of mine in Germany.

"FWS stands for Friedrich W. Schneider. It's a whole sale hat trade based in Köln.They have a long 'after war tradition' for exclusive imports of international
men hat makes. For some years now they have got the Stetson name rights for Europe. So they labeled the whole collection with Stetson. Even the American 'Stetson' people import the Stetson stuff
from Colgne, because there are great men-caps made in Germany in the collection, labeled 'Stetson-An American Spirit' :) - that's how it works. There is no Stetson hat anywhere. It's just a label existing
in USA and Europe. Both are paying for the name and meanwhile cooperate with each other. For example: Our wool-felt Stetson hats are still Bollmann hats, USA. And the 'hattaras' cap by Stetson is
still made by the old cap factory 'Horst Zins', which is owned by FWS.
We sell the whole Stetson collection very well. It's fashionable and matches well the special hat-shops, just as FWS has always done! They just use the legendary name Stetson. FWS' suppliers are
the same as ever..."

Dreispitz

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:
Yes you are correct. Here is some info about FWS from a hatter friend of mine in Germany.

"FWS stands for Friedrich W. Schneider. It's a whole sale hat trade based in Köln.They have a long 'after war tradition' for exclusive imports of international
men hat makes. For some years now they have got the Stetson name rights for Europe. So they labeled the whole collection with Stetson. Even the American 'Stetson' people import the Stetson stuff
from Colgne, because there are great men-caps made in Germany in the collection, labeled 'Stetson-An American Spirit' :) - that's how it works. There is no Stetson hat anywhere. It's just a label existing
in USA and Europe. Both are paying for the name and meanwhile cooperate with each other. For example: Our wool-felt Stetson hats are still Bollmann hats, USA. And the 'hattaras' cap by Stetson is
still made by the old cap factory 'Horst Zins', which is owned by FWS.
We sell the whole Stetson collection very well. It's fashionable and matches well the special hat-shops, just as FWS has always done! They just use the legendary name Stetson. FWS' suppliers are
the same as ever..."

So then, to close the circle: where does Wegener come in the Stetson production in Europe?

By the way, I recently read in an Italien book on the history of Borsalino that after the war Borsalino made the Stetson line for the Italian market and Mayser got the share for some northern markets. This would match with your information MW!

Interesting that you mention Schneider. I never came across them, so far. They might mot have an own "Schneider" lable.

Dreispitz said:
So then, to close the circle: where does Wegener come in the Stetson production in Europe?

By the way, I recently read in an Italien book on the history of Borsalino that after the war Borsalino made the Stetson line for the Italian market and Mayser got the share for some northern markets. This would match with your information MW!

Interesting that you mention Schneider. I never came across them, so far. They might mot have an own "Schneider" lable.

I asked about Wegener but my friend didn't know of any other German Stetson license owners other than Mayser and FWS.

Here is the FWS website which includes a history of the company.

http://www.stetson-europe.com/53-1-FWS-History.html

Hüte aus Ebreichsdorf

Article in German about the hat factory in Ebreichsdorf, Austria. Fraenkel and BRÜDER BÖHM were produced at the factory which shut down in 1971. Interesting mention of a price war with TONAK being one of the causes.

4095929505_fc9b397d4b_o.jpg

4095929535_eabb4684c4_o.jpg

4096689012_2a7f606c92_o.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
A West German-made Dobbs recently ended on ebay. Any idea who had the license to make Hat Corporation of America brands in Europe?

Brad

Brad Bowers said:
A West German-made Dobbs recently ended on ebay. Any idea who had the license to make Hat Corporation of America brands in Europe?

Brad

I am not sure but I will check into it. Do you have a link to the ebay auction? I like to see pictures of it. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick