Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
Here is a picture of the reorder tag behind the sweat band. I inadvertently forgot to post with the rest of my Mayser pictures. :eusa_doh:

DSCF4140.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
Anton Peschel

This Peschel arrived today from an eBay seller. Here's the eBay image:

Peschelebay.jpg

So it was a gamble, but for some reason it called to me. Here it is after straightening it and a preliminary once-over with a brush:

Peschel-open-crown.jpg

Dimensions:
2" brim
5" uncreased crown
1 7/8" sweat
1 7/8" ribbon

Here are the innards:

Peschel-liner-tip.jpg
The cellophane over the liner has disintegrated.

Peschel-sweat.jpg

Peschel-Store.jpg

Peschel-back-sweat.jpg

Peschel-corrugation.jpg

Peschel-tag.jpg

Peschel-brim-up.jpg

Very soft and cuddly felt. There's a place where it looks as if it's been set down in some milk-like substance. I'll take a wet sponge to it when I get the courage to mess with it.

Very cool hat! :)

Sue

billysmom said:
This Peschel arrived today from an eBay seller. Here's the eBay image:

So it was a gamble, but for some reason it called to me. Here it is after straightening it and a preliminary once-over with a brush:
Dimensions:
2" brim
5" uncreased crown
1 7/8" sweat
1 7/8" ribbon

Here are the innards:

Peschel-brim-up.jpg
[/CENTER]

Very soft and cuddly felt. There's a place where it looks as if it's been set down in some milk-like substance. I'll take a wet sponge to it when I get the courage to mess with it.

Very cool hat! :)

Sue

Very rare find and fine velour! A. Peschel were originally located in Nový Jičín, Czechosolvakia (Neutitschein, Austria up to WWI) and moved operations to Dinkelsbühl, Germany after WWII. Similar situation to Johann Hückel´s Söhne. The Hückel and Peschel factories in Nový Jičín were nationalized as TONAK. Mario has a real nice Peschel from about the same time period that is also posted in this thread.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
billysmom said:

Sue...I had a funny feeling that it might have been you again! :p I was after that one as well - as was mayserwegener. I was thinking about adding it to my Peschel collection... ;)

It's the only other Peschel on the Lounge, and a very beautiful one, too. Those Peschels are very rare. If you ever think about selling it - just PM me! :D

For the time being: :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

billysmom

One Too Many
Peschel

Thanks, Mario. I think it has a sort of feminine vibe to it. I'm envisioning it with a Hollywood brim configuration to wear with some of my vintage furs this winter.

The corrugation at the front edge of the sweat band appears to be fabric. Very intricately done.

Sue

I just got my 1961 P. & C. Habig Homburg (posted on this thread) back from Optimo. It had some ribbon / bow damage (otherwise excellent condition) so I had that replaced plus a clean and block. The ribbon width is about the same as the original (more Bowler like). I think they did a great job as usual.

After Optimo

4032329977_7cb5e1e47c_b.jpg

4032330087_82d5eec78c_b.jpg

They also added a sweatband bow which I didn't ask for (nice touch).

4033094402_60c485311d_b.jpg

Before Optimo

3988392762_c6065f0184_b.jpg

Dreispitz

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:
I just got my 1961 P. & C. Habig Homburg (posted on this thread) back from Optimo. It had some ribbon / bow damage (otherwise excellent condition) so I had that replaced plus a clean and block. The ribbon width is about the same as the original (more Bowler like). I think they did a great job as usual.

After Optimo

4032329977_7cb5e1e47c_b.jpg

4032330087_82d5eec78c_b.jpg

They also added a sweatband bow which I didn't ask for (nice touch).

4033094402_60c485311d_b.jpg

Before Optimo

3988392762_c6065f0184_b.jpg

Great! I am always amaized, what miraccle a litle touch up can do! Alongside with the other beauty, you posted, great new hats! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dreispitz said:
Great! I am always amaized, what miraccle a litle touch up can do! Alongside with the other beauty, you posted, great new hats! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks!

I think the new ribbon looks original to the hat. I am very happy with the outcome.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
30ies hat in action

Here is a hat in action in a 30ies German film worn by Johannes Heesters. Very charming actor, born in 1903 and still performing 2009!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cqx92z1EkWI&hl=de&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cqx92z1EkWI&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Looks a bit like your Hückel, MW, no?

Dreispitz said:
Here is a hat in action in a 30ies German film worn by Johannes Heesters. Very charming actor, born in 1903 and still performing 2009!

Looks a bit like your Hückel, MW, no?

Wow that is amazing! He has to be one of the last male actors from that era left on earth. It sure does look like my gray Hückel Superior. I wonder if he would remember? :) The single side dent look is very cool!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Congratulations on our "German(ic)" members for posting this very interesting thread. I must admit I had never much interest in hats originating east of Belgium, I still rather cringe at seeing alpenhüte (yodeling in the background, Lindt chocolate melting away at the fore) but then...les goûts et les couleurs...you know, and of course we've all grown up in ONE or ANOTHER cultural background etc. etc.
Some very "interesting" hats (which don't do it for me) and a few EXTREMELY interesting other ones (Ja Mario, du hattest recht, mit deinen schwartzen Peschel...). Goes to show one word ("interesting") covers a variety of meanings...
Thank you very much.
der Paul

PabloElFlamenco said:
Congratulations on our "German(ic)" members for posting this very interesting thread. I must admit I had never much interest in hats originating east of Belgium, I still rather cringe at seeing alpenhüte (yodeling in the background, Lindt chocolate melting away at the fore) but then...les goûts et les couleurs...you know, and of course we've all grown up in ONE or ANOTHER cultural background etc. etc.
Some very "interesting" hats (which don't do it for me) and a few EXTREMELY interesting other ones (Ja Mario, du hattest recht, mit deinen schwartzen Peschel...). Goes to show one word ("interesting") covers a variety of meanings...
Thank you very much.
der Paul

Isn't Italy east of Belgium? :) Borsalino and other Italian hat companies also made many styles of traditional & not so traditional alpen hut. Love or hate them the traditional alpen hut is the root of the dress Fedora. Also see the trachten root of the Homburg.

As you say there is a wide mix of hats on this thread. German and Austrian hat companies made all different hat styles. I would put a company like P. & C. Habig on equal standing with Borsalino but I am sure most on here wouldn't agree.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Lieber MayserWegener....touché :eusa_clap I agree Italy is...'t is indeed...east of Belgium! (In fact, I was trying to avoid getting too specifically D-AUT-CZ but my diplomacy -as all too often- backfired)

Here's my pitch black Mayser-Milz & Cie. "Meister Marke" hat. I bought it in a Belgian 2nd hand shop, €10. It was blocked like a kind of big bowler (or would that be a homburg?), but I changed it to a self-styled narrow brim because it's just not the kind of hats I wear, far too "conservative", like wearing pin-stripe suits going to the bank. Bound edge. Extremely well made, with fine, well-pounced felt. No tags of any kind, anywhere.

IMG_0684.jpg

033-1.jpg

034-2.jpg

016-1.jpg

Paul "the chocolate maker"

PabloElFlamenco said:
Lieber MayserWegener....touché :eusa_clap I agree Italy is...'t is indeed...east of Belgium! (In fact, I was trying to avoid getting too specifically D-AUT-CZ but my diplomacy -as all too often- backfired)

Here's my pitch black Mayser-Milz & Cie. "Meister Marke" hat. I bought it in a Belgian 2nd hand shop, €10. It was blocked like a kind of big bowler (or would that be a homburg?), but I changed it to a self-styled narrow brim because it's just not the kind of hats I wear, far too "conservative", like wearing pin-stripe suits going to the bank. Bound edge. Extremely well made, with fine, well-pounced felt. No tags of any kind, anywhere.

IMG_0684.jpg

Paul "the chocolate maker"

Nice Mayser. Yes it is a Homburg.

My point is that I don't see a big difference between northern Italian hat companies and their counter parts in Germany and Austria.

By the way the Austrian company Johann Hückel´s Söhne became TONAK (Czech) and PolkaP (Poland) after WWII.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred