Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Brüder Böhm "Lido", 58cm, Crown Open 5 1/2 inches, Brim 2 inches, very light weight 100g / 3.5oz, NOS condition with mothing, original Paper Size Tag, probably late 1930s. The felt finish is very smooth with a white (a slight hint of green) granite rock effect. It's on the stiffer side but will hand crease. There is a Hare on the logo so it could be fur felt but not really sure because of the processing. A very unique hat but probably not in its time and place. :) This is from my latest Czech find.

27383787266_bc82e27fdc_b.jpg

27383778366_d0567050ba_b.jpg

27319544772_87483deec1_b.jpg

26809277164_db4d26063e_b.jpg

27383591526_42df30daf7_b.jpg

Great Design!

27383728826_a39f9b189c_b.jpg

Cloth Sweatband?

27141781790_0f0533659c_b.jpg

27417630265_c27b5b0860_b.jpg

Böhm Hat Holder with Böhm "Lido"

27141752140_f7eb99064a_b.jpg

Original Paper Size Tag

27385339826_58008fa151_b.jpg

Natural Light

26816935513_d1cbe16285_b.jpg]

27147715660_bb679042f6_b.jpg

27352261171_b205dc99ed_b.jpg

27352280951_b47e867114_b.jpg

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Can any of you knowledgeable people help me identify this Mayser Homburg. I believe it's 50's or 60's because of its resemblance to the Homburgs Conrad Adenauer and Willy Brandt sported and made famous in the 50's in Europe. They, of course, were following in the footsteps of politicians like Churchill and Eisenhower.
IMAG0415.jpg
IMAG0414.jpg
IMAG0421.jpg
I also believe it's 50's or early 60's due to the labels and front of hat shaper found inside the hat. There are a lot of numbers on the paper label, but too many to decipher. See the photos below and please help if you can. Thanks - Steve1857

Thank you for posting the photos. It's not a Homburg style hat but it's really fantastic. My guess is that it's later 1950s. Is the liner stitched in? Would be nice to see a photo of the entire bottom of the hat and the sweatband marks.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for posting the photos. It's not a Homburg style hat but it's really fantastic. My guess is that it's later 1950s. Is the liner stitched in? Would be nice to see a photo of the entire bottom of the hat and the sweatband marks.

Thanks MayserWegener. I'm interested to hear as to why you don't think it's a Homburg style hat. I know it's not the classic Homburg style. I have, I believe, a beautiful Italian black Homburg, which I plan to post on the Homburg forum as I can't find anything about the name of the hat company who made it.

Anyway, if one looks at the development of Homburg hats, I think my Mayser falls into the category or Homburg family, if you will. I'm definitely here on this site to learn from you guys, so let me know.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Here are the photos of the sweatband and bottom of the hat, you wanted to see, MayserWegener. The liner is stitched in, apart from the parts where the stitching has come undone.

IMAG0432.jpg

The missing letter on the button is a T. It unfortunately fell off. There was also a great card in the hat with the name and address of the person that bought the hat. I noticed that the telephone number only had five digits, which lead me to believe that the hat was 50's or early 60's.

IMAG0434.jpg

IMAG0435.jpg

Thanks MayserWegener. I'm interested to hear as to why you don't think it's a Homburg style hat. I know it's not the classic Homburg style. I have, I believe, a beautiful Italian black Homburg, which I plan to post on the Homburg forum as I can't find anything about the name of the hat company who made it.

Anyway, if one looks at the development of Homburg hats, I think my Mayser falls into the category or Homburg family, if you will. I'm definitely here on this site to learn from you guys, so let me know.

Homburg style hats have curled brims. I have a large number of them. :) Here is early 1950s Wegener where you can see what is considered a Homburg style curled brim.

22879136966_ed3e79e41b_b.jpg

22905186545_8cd26ef395_b.jpg

22282518374_da13c0e0a5_b.jpg

Your hat is actually more desired because there is less interest in Homburg style hats. It was most likely worn brim up but it appears the brim can be snapped down. You may want to take a look at my site (see signature link) for more examples. If you have questions please let me know.

Here are the photos of the sweatband and bottom of the hat, you wanted to see, MayserWegener. The liner is stitched in, apart from the parts where the stitching has come undone.

View attachment 51116

The missing letter on the button is a T. It unfortunately fell off. There was also a great card in the hat with the name and address of the person that bought the hat. I noticed that the telephone number only had five digits, which lead me to believe that the hat was 50's or early 60's.

View attachment 51115

View attachment 51117

Thank you for posting the additional photos. I think this hat is later 1950s. Again it's a really fantastic hat. As I mentioned above you might want to look through my site (see link below). I have a very large collection of vintage German and Austrian Soft and Stiff Felt Hats. Also historical information on the German and Austrian hat industries.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for posting the additional photos. I think this hat is later 1950s. Again it's a really fantastic hat. As I mentioned above you might want to look through my site (see link below). I have a very large collection of vintage German and Austrian Soft and Stiff Felt Hats. Also historical information on the German and Austrian hat industries.

Thanks MayserWegener. That is one gorgeous Homburg, very much like an Italian one I have and have just posted on Homburg Nation. My Mayser "Homburg" does indeed have a curled brim, I don't think you can see it that much in the photo. It's not as curled up as the classic Homburg. As you rightly point out, the brim can definitely be snapped down, but looks better up, in my opinion. I think it was Mayser's attempt at a "hybrid". Konrad Adenauer and Willy Brandt really made the Homburg popular in 1950's Germany.

I will definitely check your site out. I can't wait.

Thanks for your help - Steve

Thanks MayserWegener. That is one gorgeous Homburg, very much like an Italian one I have and have just posted on Homburg Nation. My Mayser "Homburg" does indeed have a curled brim, I don't think you can see it that much in the photo. It's not as curled up as the classic Homburg. As you rightly point out, the brim can definitely be snapped down, but looks better up, in my opinion. I think it was Mayser's attempt at a "hybrid". Konrad Adenauer and Willy Brandt really made the Homburg popular in 1950's Germany.

I will definitely check your site out. I can't wait.

Thanks for your help - Steve

Yes I guess it could be called a hybrid. Brim snapped less dressy. I have many similar examples on my site.

Here is Konrad Adenauer's Homburg (P. & C. Habig Wien :) so not German) from the Gotisches Haus (Gothic House) Hat Museum, Bad Homburg vor der Höhe, Germany collection.

24916155065_6a66c4a942_h.jpg

24289297613_228cb27d15_h.jpg

24916214485_8916be0f99_h.jpg

Gotisches Haus (Gothic House) Hat Museum, Bad Homburg vor der Höhe, Germany

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/230-gotisches-haus-gothic-house-hat-museum-bad-homburg-vor-der-höhe-germany/

The term Homburg was not used in Germany or Austria pre WWII. These type of curled brim Soft Felt Hats would be called Mode Hut (Fashion Hat) going back to the late 19th Century.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

That is truly a very interesting and informative site you have, Steve. Living in Denmark, I come across quite a few Maysers and Wegeners in thrift shops. The problem is, they're often way too small, as are the Borsalinos I come across, and my head size is medium. They must have had small heads back in the day.

How can I join your site? Via "Create Account"?

Best wishes - Steve

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Yes it could be called a hybrid. Brim snapped less dressy. I have many similar examples on my site.

Here is Konrad Adenauer's Homburg (P. & C. Habig Wien :) so not German) from the Gotisches Haus (Gothic House) Hat Museum, Bad Homburg vor der Höhe, Germany collection.

24916155065_6a66c4a942_h.jpg

24289297613_228cb27d15_h.jpg

24916214485_8916be0f99_h.jpg

Gotisches Haus (Gothic House) Hat Museum, Bad Homburg vor der Höhe, Germany

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/230-gotisches-haus-gothic-house-hat-museum-bad-homburg-vor-der-höhe-germany/

Now, that is a Homburg to die for?

I love my two or one and a half :) I hope to acquire more. I'm a Homburg fan!

That is truly a very interesting and informative site you have, Steve. Living in Denmark, I come across quite a few Maysers and Wegeners in thrift shops. The problem is, they're often way too small, as are the Borsalinos I come across, and my head size is medium. They must have had small heads back in the day.

How can I join your site? Via "Create Account"?

Best wishes - Steve
Steve, Thanks! I am sure there are some great vintage hats (your Mayser is a great example) lurking in Denmark. I am very much looking forward to your future finds. Manfred (Chepstow) has made many great Flea Market finds in Germany.

Yes you should be able to join my site via "Create Account". There might be some questions you need to answer. If you have issues you can send me a PM.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Steve, Thanks! I am sure there are some great vintage hats (your Mayser is a great example) lurking in Denmark. I am very much looking forward to your future finds. Manfred (Chepstow) has made many great Flea Market finds in Germany.

Yes you should be able to join my site via "Create Account". There might be some questions you need to answer. If you have issues you can send me a PM.

I've joined. I just need to be vetted and accepted. Hope I get through :)

I'm looking forward to your site opening up my eyes for other makes than Mayser.

Many thanks - Steve

Steve, Yes you are now a member. I post everything here on my site plus much more. If it is ok I will post your Mayser on my site. I also replied to your post on the Homburg Nation thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy