• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Discussion in 'Hats' started by mayserwegener, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Stefan, Very interesting find! I do not believe I have seen a J. Heinr. ITA with a Crown Patch. They are a rare find in general. J. Heinr. ITA and were still in business until the later 1960s. I tend to think this one is later maybe early to mid 1960s.

steur likes this.
  2. steur

steur Practically Family

Steve, thanks. Now and again I see J. Heinr. ITA hats, but they always have a liner, so this one caught my eye. It does not look like there ever was a liner in this one and the paper crown patch was a later addition (which could have been the case).

3. Stefan, Yes that could be the case. The paper label is missing so maybe someone worked on it. If so it might be a little earlier.

steur likes this.
  4. I am impressed by both of the black offerings. The quality of the brim treatment on the Marke Greif is very nice. What a treat to see.

steur, Steve1857 and KarlCrow like this.
  5. steur

steur Practically Family

Mike, thanks. Although I have more than enough black hats that I don't wear I do get carried away sometimes (and buy another one).

KarlCrow and Steve1857 like this.
  6. Milz & Co. Lindenberg I/Allgäu (Bayern) Strohhut Fabrik (Straw Hat Factory) Dampfbetrieb u. Elektr. Kraftanlagen (Steam and Electric Power Plants), May 12, 1915. Mayser Ulm purchased the company in 1929 and it became known as Mayser Milz & Co. where they made Straw and Soft Felt Hats. Lindenberg was one of the Straw Hat making centers of Germany. Mayser Hat headquarters was moved to Lindenberg in the early 1990s after the closure of Mayser Ulm. This arrived about 1 week ago but I just got around to scanning and posting.

(Click on Photo to Expand)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

moehawk, steur, BobHufford and 2 others like this.
  7. steur

steur Practically Family

Steve, another nice historic find! Now and again I see Mayser-Milz branded hats. How long was that a separate line or brand for the company?

KarlCrow and Redfokker like this.
  8. Stefan, I believe the Mayser Milz trademark might have been used up the early 2000s. Mayser had the Ottmar Reich trademark from 1998 - 2008.

steur and KarlCrow like this.
  9. Wegener "Seal", 60 cm, Open Crown 6 inches, Brim 2 1/2 inches probably mid 1950s. I don't believe this one had a liner so missing the crown patch. The Felt is a very nice Gray color with a fantastic Chamois finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. that is, er yeh that is

steur likes this.
  11. RJR

RJR I'll Lock Up

Nice looking,congrats.

12. steur

steur Practically Family

Steve, thanks for the info. That is another great hat you found. Lovely colour combination and I can almost feel that chamois felt in my fingers.

Steve1857 likes this.
  13. Karl, Thanks!
    Bob, Thank you!
    Stefan, Thank you too!

Here are a couple photos of me wearing it outside. I think it looks better in sun light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Mean Eyed Matt

Mean Eyed Matt One of the Regulars

Just recognized your avatar badge: Karl Plachky was one famous Kürschner (skinner/furrier - not only shop) in Zeitz (near Leipzig) at Roßmarkt 5 - also trading with hats & caps. According to the net he is listed in the phone book of 1914 and still listed after WWII in 1948. And there's also a Ludwig Plachky - skinner in Zeitz at Roßmarkt 14 and Wilhelm (1914) and Johannes (1947) Plachky - both goldsmiths at Roßmarkt 14. Family!?

steur and mayserwegener like this.
  15. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

steur and mayserwegener like this.
  16. Thank you for this great information! By the way it's a Pocket Mirror.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...hne-hückel-hutfabrik-weilheim/page-7#entry810

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Mean Eyed Matt and steur like this.
  17. steur

steur Practically Family

Here's one I haven't posted before. JW Hellings fedora in black. Size 56 with bound brim at 6cm and crown 10,5 cm at the pinch. The shop Hellings is located in Bonn and prides itself that Konrad Adenauer was a customer of theirs. I have this hat for quite a while (don't have the usual photo set-up for this one). Don't think there's a label inside the hat, so I can't say who the maker is. The make and model of the hat are almost identical to the export qualität Borsalino Mirtillo I have.

hellings_1.jpg hellings_4.jpg hellings_2.jpg hellings_3.jpg

18. steur

steur Practically Family

Another one I have for a while and haven't posted either. Wegener Colonel fedora in grey. Size 55 (and can't get it to fit me). Bound brim 6,5 cm and crown 10 cm at the pinch. Nice colour combination and lovely felt. Too bad it isn't my size.

wegener colonel_3.jpg wegener colonel_1.jpg wegener colonel_5.jpg wegener colonel_4.jpg wegener colonel_2.jpg wegener colonel_6.jpg

19. great hats as usual, oddly the same statesman Adenauer made a cameo in a detective fiction novel i was reading not half an hour ago, set between the wars. I'm getting over flu, so reading garbage. Odd coincidence, don't think i'd thought about that european in years.

steur likes this.
  20. Stefan, I discovered Adenauer's Homburg was a P. & C. Habig Wien purchased at Hellings Bonn. I had the museum remove the hat so I could see the underside. :)

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...m-bad-homburg-vor-der-höhe-germany/#entry1358

steur, splintercellsz and KarlCrow like this.