• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Discussion in 'Hats' started by mayserwegener, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Harv, Thanks! All is well. I hope with you too. We have to meet up in the new year.

The Crown height is over 5 1/2 inches Open so not short. It could be the blocking. The brim is about 2 inches. Here is a photo of me wearing it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 5:32 AM
  2. moehawk

moehawk My Mail is Forwarded Here

I found this Alpenland on eBay. I didn't know anything about the maker, but I do have a weakness for the wider brimmed green Trachtens, so I got it mostly for curiosity.
    It arrived yesterday. Here's pics.
    With pins

[​IMG]

I took off the pin and brush, the star pin fell apart. Both left deep marks on the felt.

Inside and sticker

[​IMG][​IMG]

No stamps or marks on the thin, green unreeded sweatband.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The crown is a little over 5 1/4" high, 2 3/8" underwelt brim. 144g. The felt is thick, stiff and has a coarse hand. I thought maybe a wool blend, but I then checked the feel against some other fur felts and it feels similar to a couple I have. Still not ruling out the possibility that wool may be present.
    Not sure of the age. 50's maybe? Any input welcome!

Powered by happy thoughts

Steve1857, Michael A, 1mach1 and 3 others like this.
  3. steur

steur One Too Many

Nice find, Steve. I come across Rehfus hats now and again, but usually very small sizes.

4. steur

steur One Too Many

Something I would skip right away if I saw the auction picture, but I must say that it looks quite good after you've shaped it, John.

M Hatman and moehawk like this.
  5. moehawk

moehawk My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks Stefan!
    The auction pic actually looks a little better than mine...:) the first one I posted with the pins isn't good lighting.

M Hatman and steur like this.
  6. With all these old ones being posted I almost hate post this here but it is really a nice hat. Sweat dated 1988.....so not old at all. Color is quite hard to capture but is what I would call a grey/blue.....Steel Grey maybe.......GREAT COLOR........not a color we do over here....took my crease well..... 2 1/2 inch bound brim, little over five inch open crown with 1 1/2 inch ribbon with wind cord. Originally sold at BATES Jermym Street - London SW1
    Nice hat.......
    M
    20171208_182941.jpg 20171208_182827.jpg 20171208_182852.jpg 20171208_182819.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 1:01 AM
    Steve1857, Michael A, steur and 5 others like this.
  7. That is a very nice looking newer production hat! Great color indeed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

M Hatman likes this.
  8. Very nice hat for sure.

M Hatman likes this.
  9. steur

steur One Too Many

Nice shape and colour. The later Hückel hats come in two flavours: the ones made by Tonak (this is one of them) and the ones made by Hückel Welheim. Very interesting brand history; Steve can tell you much more.

Redfokker, M Hatman and Steve1857 like this.