Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Stefan, Super find! Great colors!

This one appears to be made by the same company as my "Gloria" Back Bow.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/130-ems-hutfabrik/

I have some other hats with the same paper label and made of similar wool. I think they might be from one of the pre WWII east German hat companies.

Is there writing under the "Germania" on the sweatband?

Second one of this tuesdays haul. This one is a mystery hat to me. There is a company logo on the sweatband but I can't make out if there's an actual name there. Maybe Steve (mayserwegener) knows this logo. I'll call it Zilinder (German for top-hat) for now, although I admit I'm not even 100 percent sure if it's German or not. No labels at all inside this hat but it fits me perfectly, so must be a 56 size. Bound brim at 7 cm and crom 10 cm at the pinch. Unlined and no crown patch either. Doesn't look like it ever had one. The sweatband is unreeded. Back bow. Felt is wool (some fur content maybe, but not much) and the hat is quite heavy.
Mike (Redfokker) likes to see a crease-clip in action. Well, this hat called for it; there already was a sharp centre crease and it naturally shaped itself to this crease. It probably had a clip in the past, so I put one of the clips Mike kindly sent to me in this one. It could be shaped in another form easily, but I think this one fits with the period feel of the hat. I'm guessing thirties or early forties.

View attachment 99057 View attachment 99058 View attachment 99059 View attachment 99060 View attachment 99061 View attachment 99062 View attachment 99063 View attachment 99064
Stefan,

Another super find!

Would it be possible to take a sharper + closer photo of the logo on the sweatband?

I like this one for color and this raw appearance.
My n. 1!

Also this is very interesting. I think both are more wool, so an everyday hat. Fine
N.2 in my ranking

The most usual! Not classified :rolleyes:
Daniele, thanks! The numer 3 may be more usual, but is a very wearable hat. Because of that my number 2. The number 1 we agree on!

One more then and I'll do the rest tomorrow. This one was a nice find. Böhm Wien fedora in black. Size 56 (I'm guessing). Raw edge brim at 6cm and crown 9,5 cm at the pinched (it is pinched low). Very nice felt, somewhere between normal and antilope finish. No clue as to its age (couldn't find a similar liner on Steve's website). The model is called Hera.

View attachment 99080 View attachment 99081 View attachment 99082 View attachment 99083 View attachment 99084 View attachment 99085 View attachment 99086 View attachment 99087
Stefan,

Fantastic! I am on travel so can't check paper labels but this type appears familiar. I tried searching the shop address under Wels Austria but I couldn't find a Bismarkstr which is interesting.

I have some other hats with the same paper label and made of similar wool. I think they might be from one of the pre WWII east German hat companies.

Steve, thanks! Great additional info. Interesting to see the one on your website seems to have an off-center crease (or back-bow) as well! Here are two more close-up shots of the logos. Doesn't seem to be writing under the Germania name (just wear of a underlining stripe imo). The top hat logo somehow seems familiar. I'll have a look through my own files if I can turn up something.

zilinder extra.jpg
germania extra.jpg

Stefan,

Fantastic! I am on travel so can't check paper labels but this type appears familiar. I tried searching the shop address under Wels Austria but I couldn't find a Bismarkstr which is interesting.
Steve, thanks. I've done a bit of searching myself. Apparently the Bismarckstrasse in Wels has had quite a few names through history (nine!) Up until 1945 it was known as the Bismarckstrasse. A quote: Schickhengasse (1583), Vorstadt (vor 1863), Spitalgasse (bis 1875), Theatergasse (bis 1914) und Bismarckstraße (bis 1945). Its currently known as Pfarrgasse.
Here's a little picture of it.

wels,-bismarckstrasse-ak124413.jpg

Steve, thanks! Great additional info. Interesting to see the one on your website seems to have an off-center crease (or back-bow) as well! Here are two more close-up shots of the logos. Doesn't seem to be writing under the Germania name (just wear of a underlining stripe imo). The top hat logo somehow seems familiar. I'll have a look through my own files if I can turn up something.

View attachment 99102 View attachment 99103
Stefan, The "Germania" also has unique violet hues (lila / lilac) like my "Gloria". By the way my "Gloria" came with a Crease Clip.

On the Black Back Bow Is there a U.H. under the top hat (top hat logo is a play on U.H.)? Also is there another word under that? Yes this logo seems familiar.

Now that I looked closer it looks like a "u" but not sure about the second letter.

Last edited:
Steve, thanks. I've done a bit of searching myself. Apparently the Bismarckstrasse in Wels has had quite a few names through history (nine!) Up until 1945 it was known as the Bismarckstrasse. A quote: Schickhengasse (1583), Vorstadt (vor 1863), Spitalgasse (bis 1875), Theatergasse (bis 1914) und Bismarckstraße (bis 1945). Its currently known as Pfarrgasse.
Here's a little picture of it.

View attachment 99106
Stefan, Thanks. That is what I was thinking. This gives some idea on the dating. My guess would be late 1920s - 1930s. It's a super find.

I still owe you some more hats from last weeks' find. In between the food and drink and all other things christmassy you can have a look at some nice hats (it's good for the soul). First one is a Rehfus Oberländer antilope hat in grey. Size 57, with a bound brim at 6,5cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. Lovely feel of the felt (I really like these antilope finishes). All in all a very nice find. I'm thinking late fifties to mid sixties for this one.

oberlander_02.jpg
oberlander_01.jpg
oberlander_03.jpg
oberlander_04.jpg
oberlander_05.jpg
oberlander_07.jpg
oberlander_08.jpg
oberlander_09.jpg
oberlander_10.jpg
oberlander_11.jpg

And another interesting find. Mauerer "Super" in blue. It was missing its liner, so I added this one which I had lying around. Size 57, bound brim at 6,5 cm and crown 10,5 cm at the pinch. Mauerer has shop in Vienna since 1873, which still exists today. I visited it a few years ago; lovely shop with a nice old-world feel to it. The hat is a bit roomy for me, but I don't have a Mauerer hat yet and the colour is quite unusual.

mauerer_2.jpg
mauerer_1.jpg
mauerer_3.jpg
mauerer_4.jpg
mauerer_5.jpg
mauerer_6.jpg
mauerer_7.jpg
mauerer_8.jpg
mauerer_9.jpg
mauerer.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I still owe you some more hats from last weeks' find. In between the food and drink and all other things christmassy you can have a look at some nice hats (it's good for the soul). First one is a Rehfus Oberländer antilope hat in grey. Size 57, with a bound brim at 6,5cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. Lovely feel of the felt (I really like these antilope finishes). All in all a very nice find. I'm thinking late fifties to mid sixties for this one.

oberlander_02-jpg.99472
Very nice Stefan. This is my favorite.
The Maurer has a nice color, but I prefere this one.
It is a nostrum for the sweets of Christmas

Stefan, Super! I am not sure if I have seen Rehfus Oberländer like this one. It's fantastic. The Mauerer is great too. I need to find out if they contracted out production. Merry Christmas!

Stefan, Super! I am not sure if I have seen Rehfus Oberländer like this one. It's fantastic. The Mauerer is great too. I need to find out if they contracted out production. Merry Christmas!
Steve, thanks! I was a bit surprised to find a label inside the Mauerer hat with their name on it, because I did expect the hat to have been made by another manufacturer (that's still possible of course). Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21