Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting a californian driverslicence?

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
bean.jpg

Uhm.. yes I know its outrageous, but im going/moving to LA
without a driverslicence. Reason, it costs: around $2-3000 to get
here in Denmark. So i would be very very gratefull for some tips on how the situation is over there.

Problem is that im going on a tourist visa (im danish), to seek employment at production companies/agencies (in order to get a workpermit). But going to interviews everyday by bus-taxi i guess is no fun in the long run (but im prepared to do so).[huh]

I once heard that you easily could get a licence on a tourist visa in the states, like on Hawaii or something. But after 9/11 I heard its only possible if you either have a student visa or workpermit? Is this true, please indulge me with tips ideas or send a PM.

I would be veeery gratefull for any help i can get!

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Thanks scotsman.

Yea, I looked at that californian DMV site earlier, and its says that I either have to have a resident permit, working permit or student visa...[huh] im neither.

But, there should be other ways around that i think. Anyone that heard of nonresidents taking a licence on the westcoast? Im all ears :)

StanleyVanBuren

Tony in Tarzana said:
Look into something called an "international driver's license." I'm not sure if you have to get a license from your home country first, though.

You do. There is no such thing as an official "International Driver's License." The places that will sell you such a thing basically just offer a card that translates your home country's license into several different common languages so you can give that to a local cop along with your license and he'll be able to read it.

At least that is my understanding.

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Thanks Tony and Stanley (nice hats both!)

Yep, to get an international licence you have to have one from your home country first. And getting one here will ruin my savings for the trip.

Well, happyfilmluvguy thats nice to hear your getting a license too. Are you looking to buy a car too? I will be looking into that a little later on, something that has four wheels and engine/pedals i think. :p

Good tip. I think you are right, i should go and talk to them directly.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I believe that a person must be a legal resident alien to obtain a driver's license in California. There was an attempt to give licenses to anyone but public opposition got that repealed.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Lincsong said:
I believe that a person must be a legal resident alien to obtain a driver's license in California. There was an attempt to give licenses to anyone but public opposition got that repealed.

Back in 1980 the guy who turned left in front of me in an intersection in LA (I was on a motorcycle) had a California license but was an illegal alien. What he didn't have was insurance. Things have changed?

Cheers,
Tom

PS I drove using the California drivers license I was issued in 1978 until 2005! It was looking a bit ragged by the time I retired and had to get a new license.

PPS Best of luck to you, Hammelby! I haven't lived in Southern California since 1980, but maybe some others from that area can help you out with suggestions on where you might want to stay that might be close to the companies you wish to apply to.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Lincsong said:
I believe that a person must be a legal resident alien to obtain a driver's license in California.

This is correct. My Chilean wife was not able to obtain a California Driver's License until she was granted resident alien status. Also, California resident or not, she was not allowed to attend community college in Glendale or Pasadena until she got her green card.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
Back in 1980 the guy who turned left in front of me in an intersection in LA (I was on a motorcycle) had a California license but was an illegal alien. What he didn't have was insurance. Things have changed?

Cheers,
Tom

PS I drove using the California drivers license I was issued in 1978 until 2005! It was looking a bit ragged by the time I retired and had to get a new license.

Since 1980 the law was changed to prohibit illegal aliens from getting a driver's license. Then in 2002 Governor Gray Davis signed a bill allowing illegal aliens to get driver's licenses. This was one of the reasons he was recalled. When Swarzennegger got into the saddle the legislature repealed the bill. As of now, illegal aliens cannot get driver's licenses in California.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lincsong said:
Since 1980 the law was changed to prohibit illegal aliens from getting a driver's license. Then in 2002 Governor Gray Davis signed a bill allowing illegal aliens to get driver's licenses. This was one of the reasons he was recalled. When Swarzennegger got into the saddle the legislature repealed the bill. As of now, illegal aliens cannot get driver's licenses in California.

Which unfortunatly doesn't really stop them from driving...I was lucky that the -car- had insurance...even if the guy didnt have a license...so the 5k worth of damage was covered.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I second bicycles. :D At least for those days when you aren't rushing yourself. I found this about an International Drivers License on the DMV's website:

International Driving Permits

The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license. California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident.

The IDP is only a translation of information contained on a person's foreign driver license and is not required to operate a motor vehicle in California. Citations issued to a person in California who has an IDP, but does not have a California driver license will be placed on the Department of Motor Vehicle database.

The IDP is also called an International Driver License, International License, etc.

For more information about travel and driver licensing requirements outside of the US, visit the US State Department Road Safety Overseas website at: http://travel.state.gov/road_safety.html

I know the bus system pretty well if you need any help when you arrive. I wouldn't recommend a taxi but it's an option. I need a better paying job before I can think about buying a car. :p

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Nevermind then. lol

I seem to remember there being a few ways of obtaining legal residency, but I can't remember what they are at the moment. Don't listen to me Mr. Hammelby or you'll end up in jail! :p

Doh!

One Too Many
If you're successful and are granted a license, here are some L.A. driving tips:

• When making a left turn, don't bother using a turn signal (i.e. "blinker")-- those are for suckers.
  • Also, if turning left and the light turns red, don't sweat it: a good 4 or 5 cars can still go left after the light is red. Pedestrians will move out of the way.
  • Don't buy into the myth that you shouldn't talk on a cell phone and drive at the same time -- EVERYBODY does it so it must be OK.
  • At a 4-way intersection with stop signs all around, you always have the right-of-way. It doesn't matter if the other guy was there first or is to the right of you.
  • Stop signs themselves are really only there as a suggestion. If you have the time, go ahead and stop. If not, no problem -- you have places to be.

Dan G

One of the Regulars
The tips above apply to everyone with a California driver's license, regardless of what state you are in. So don't sweat it if you go out of state.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I think I'll take back what I said about not listening to me, or you'll go to jail....

I guess the rules of the road weren't what I thought. Why drive at all. Just hit everybody straight on. Cut to the chase as they say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany