Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting People Into Movie Theatres

Puccini is always my draw card; preferably with Anna Netrebko or another diva in a leading role. Pity that younger adults do not patronize opera.:(
My wife and I (mid sixties) are almost always the youngest members of the audience for any of the Live at the Met performances.
However, the theatre, the largest capacity room, in the local multiplex pretty much sells out for the live shows. The encore performances have at least a 60% fill rate. And this is just in our suburban theatre. The Cineplex chain offers Live in 4 or 5 theatres in our Metro area. Opera is far from dead but they do need to attract at least a bit of a younger demographic. I suspect opera is not something one comes to until past the half century mark but with the attention deficit new generation sitting for 3 plus hours could prove problematic.

Movies got Director's Cuts, making the film faster for younger audiences.

But opera??
Even for Wagner I am most often sad when it has ended, even after 6 hours. But the theatre allows us to take in our own food and we buy their coffee. It is like a picnic, only in the dark. One just needs to find a lull in the action to rustle the wrapping or wait for the intermission. I never realized the "director's cut" was to shorten the movie. I always (not sure how I came to this consclusion) assumed it was a longer cut as the director's indulgence. The cut he would have made if he did have to pander to the audience's limitations.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
My wife and I (mid sixties) are almost always the youngest members of the audience for any of the Live at the Met performances.
However, the theatre, the largest capacity room, in the local multiplex pretty much sells out for the live shows. The encore performances have at least a 60% fill rate. And this is just in our suburban theatre. The Cineplex chain offers Live in 4 or 5 theatres in our Metro area. Opera is far from dead but they do need to attract at least a bit of a younger demographic. I suspect opera is not something one comes to until past the half century mark but with the attention deficit new generation sitting for 3 plus hours could prove problematic.

Europeans seem to appreciate opera across age demographic; or perhaps that is only my intuitive take with regard to domestic audiences here.
Cupid's dart flew when I saw Anna perform in la Boheme.;)

"You get one plate of "Spaghetti Bolognese", an XXL-mug of coffee and a cup of Toffee-icecream for free, if you release your smartphone at the box-office!!"

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Portland has many theaters that offer food, beer and regular concessions screening everything from the latest Hollywood blockbuster to Spaghetti Westerns. It's great fun actually. I sorta got hooked on Pizza and popcorn together...with beer.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
We go to the theater only for those movies we really, really want to see - for example, I make it a point to go see every new James Bond film in the theater. The chain theaters in town - we have four locations - all have converted to the lounge chairs. I must say, I enjoy sitting in them! They're nice and comfortable. Our default mode, though, is to rent a movie at RedBox or find something on NetFlix.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
If you think Wagnerian opera is rough on the audience, think what it must be like for the singers. I believe it's in "Die Gotterdamerung" where Wotan has to stand in one spot for about two hours.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
And one more, why no love of Wagner - the Hitler connection?
As Wagner died before Hitler was born I don't see a real connection, he just hijacked the music because it was so atmospheric with all that Nordic myth stuff, and Wagner was of course German, though I do believe Wagner was a bit anti semitic(so I read somewhere).
I always wanted one of those fancy sound systems to play some of the greats really loud and drown out those base tracks kids play in their cars.
It is the Five hours plus that I think is the deal breaker. And Wagner, in the peoples mind offers the stereotypical opera with the fat lady singing with the horns and breastplate. Which is a pity as his music is lush and flat out gorgeous.
As the Belfastboy points out there are some great tracks but you have to separate the good stuff out. 'Ride of the Valkyries' from 'Der Ring des Nibelungen' is probably one of the most well known and may I say best loved classical pieces. 'Prelude to act III of Lohengrin' is one of my personal favourites and all those others that conjour up said visions of thunder clouds and dark skies, with well built German maidens, all blond locks and long gowns flowing in the wind.
Another Wagner great. Anyone get married featuring the 'Bridal Chorus' ? Also from Lohengrin(Here Comes the Bride).
J

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
We go to the theater only for those movies we really, really want to see - for example, I make it a point to go see every new James Bond film in the theater. The chain theaters in town - we have four locations - all have converted to the lounge chairs. I must say, I enjoy sitting in them! They're nice and comfortable. Our default mode, though, is to rent a movie at RedBox or find something on NetFlix.
For a really good experience you can't beat a real cinema. Ok, it's convenient to pause the TV as you disappear to the toilet of make a tea or coffee but that ruins it for me, I just hold on to the end.
The only thing I despise, and I mean that sincerely is the over pricing of drinks in the foyers and banning outside purchasses etc. With tickets so expensive these days you just have to smuggle your own stuff in. It wasn't so bad when you got a double feature, at least you felt you got your money's worth.

I think, Noir-cinema is still most great on cinema-screen. The artistic impression comes directly to your senses. I cannot recreate the impression on my 51" tube-tv. ;)

So, I would like to watch "Blade Runner" one time in classic cinema. :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Concessions are the only way theatres can make a profit. The split on tickets is so small given the percentage that goes to the distributor and the studio, that those "inflated" prices for popcorn and soda are the only thing keeping the place open.

You're damn right I enforce a policy of "no outside food and drink." We have seven people depending on the theatre for a living. When you smuggle in your own crap, you're stealing the food right off our tables.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Concessions are the only way theatres can make a profit. The split on tickets is so small given the percentage that goes to the distributor and the studio, that those "inflated" prices for popcorn and soda are the only thing keeping the place open.

You're damn right I enforce a policy of "no outside food and drink." We have seven people depending on the theatre for a living. When you smuggle in your own crap, you're stealing the food right off our tables.

Ran into one of the ministers of our church at the local cinema (about 35 years ago) who had brought his own popcorn in a brown paper bag from home. My friend told him that brought to mind Grandpa (Walter Brennan) on The Real McCoys pulling the same stunt.

I am always amazed at how little understanding some people have that a business has to make a profit to survive - I think we've made the word "profit" bad and it has distorted a basic understanding of how a business / how a capitalist economy (or even a non-profit - that still needs to cover all costs, pay salaries, etc.) works.

There's a History Channel show "Pawn Stars," where people bring in, mainly, vintage products to be sold. Putting aside all the fake stuff and showmanship, in many cases, an "expert" comes in and puts a retail price on an item. So, for example, an expert might say a guitar that was in this or that famous movie would get $800 - $1000 in a retail setting.

The expert will leave and then the owner of the pawn shop will ask the seller, "how much do you want for it." Half the time or more, the seller will say "$1000 - that's what the expert said it was worth." Then the owner of the pawn shop will explain that he has to make money, cover his expenses, that the expert's price was where it might sell to a retail customer and that the item could sit on his shelf for a long time.

What do those people think, he can pay his rent, his employees, keep his store open and support himself without making a profit. As noted, even not-for-profits have to basically address all the same business issue and, since profit, at a macro level, is in the single percentage points, the prices at not-for-profits aren't usually that much different than for profit businesses (unless the not-for-profit is getting donations, subsidies, etc.).

Yes, some businesses cheat, some charge egregious mark ups, etc., but facts are facts and most businesses fail (70% after 3 years / 90% for food businesses) and of those that survive, the majority survive on - as noted -single digit profits. Heck, in NYC, the not-for-profit and the for-profit Obamacare insurers - non-subsidized premiums - are about the same as there is so little profit in it, it doesn't effect the premium cost to the customer. Cheating those businesses and hating them for making an "evil" / "selfish" / "greedy" profit effectively implies you'd rather they go out of business, fire their employees, stop paying rent, stop paying suppliers and stop paying taxes.

As Lizzie says, you'd be taking the food off every employees (and suppliers' employees) table.

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Canadian chains are doing many of the things above, more food choices in the lobby, bigger seats (and fewer of them), reclining, even booked in advanced assigned seating. I don't book in advance, but I do like the more comfortable seats. If being crammed in and uncomfortable is the "vintage experience", that's one change I don't mind!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
"how much do you want for it." Half the time or more, the seller will say "$1000 - that's what the expert said it was worth." Then the owner of the pawn shop will explain that he has to make money, cover his expenses, that the expert's price was where it might sell to a retail customer and that the item could sit on his shelf for a long time.

Reminds me of the SNL skit about the "Change Store".

"Do you want change for a dollar? We can give you four quarters. Or two quarters and five dimes. The choice is up to you. Many people ask us how we can make money on an exchange like this. The answer is simple - volume".

If only it were that simple!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner