Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting Rid Of CoOoTies

Memo

Familiar Face
:eek:
Hi gang, I've been trolling this forum for a while and finally decided to join. This place has provided me with more helpful information than all the booze in a drunkards dream. I have been lucky enough to find some great Hats from fishing the bay and other places.
Recently I got one in the mail and it really skeeved me out. I've used scout products before for cleaning and brushes and sponges but this thing needs an acid wash or boiling. Is there some kind of disinfectant that I can use that will not ruin it? The hat has satin finish and it might the longer hair that's giving me the creeps or maybe it is because it looks like a cat's hair ball in the shape of a hat.
Thanks,
Memo

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
First of all, welcome to the lounge! Second of all, that's a creative metaphor. :D Third of all, DON'T boil it!! Show us some pic's, and the pro's here can give you some more accurate advice than me. I do know that naphta is a harmless, all-purpose cleaner that is good for general dirt removal. I've never done it myself (haven't gathered the nerve), but here's some general info on the topic:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=46808&highlight=naptha

And here's a tutorial on how to use it:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=45396

Again, I'm by no means an expert (being only two months a member, myself), so I can't diagnose the problem, or provide a fix for a problem. I think the pictures would be the most helpful. So this is officially my $0.02 for today.

Good luck!
flute

I'm right there with ya, Memo -- cooties just ain't where it's at. But, as fluteplayer said, we gotta know a little more about what particular type(s) of cooty is afflicting this particular patient. And we have to know more about the patient, too.

So, how 'bout some pictures? We'll prep the OR. (That's "operating room," Rusty, not "Open Road.")

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome Memo. I will join the others in asking for pics but would like to correct one thing that Flute wrote in that Naptha is NOT harmless. It most definitely IS harmful thus needed to be worked with in open air or well ventilated spaces. It also can cause cancer. That's why many hatters have stopped using it or have completely gone out of the hat cleaning business. I have recently discovered a product that I'm testing ( and will report on when I feel comfortable) that has no harmful chemicals and so far, does a wonderful job..more on that later

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Art Fawcett said:
I have recently discovered a product that I'm testing ( and will report on when I feel comfortable) that has no harmful chemicals and so far, does a wonderful job..more on that later

I'm really looking forward to hearing more about this product, Art. Please do update us as soon as you are comfortable. :)

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Art Fawcett said:
...I have recently discovered a product that I'm testing ( and will report on when I feel comfortable) that has no harmful chemicals and so far, does a wonderful job..more on that later

Someone has to do the dirty work. We patiently await your final judgment, Art.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Art Fawcett said:
Welcome Memo. I will join the others in asking for pics but would like to correct one thing that Flute wrote in that Naptha is NOT harmless. It most definitely IS harmful thus needed to be worked with in open air or well ventilated spaces. It also can cause cancer. That's why many hatters have stopped using it or have completely gone out of the hat cleaning business. I have recently discovered a product that I'm testing ( and will report on when I feel comfortable) that has no harmful chemicals and so far, does a wonderful job..more on that later

Good thing I didn't use it yet! I actually meant not harmful to the hat--or can it be? Well, in any case, I'll hang out to clean one of my own until your cleaner is ready, Mr. Fawcett. (Not to self--Naptha and living rooms don't mix) Can't wait to hear back on your work!

And Memo, were you being literal when you said cooties/crawling things?

--flute

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Art Fawcett said:

Art - yes! Please keep us infomed at all costs! I've used Naptha on a lot of my hats but it really is a nasty stuff to work with. I'd be glad to find something else that is non-toxic and still yields good results. Looking forward to it! :)

CRH

Call Me a Cab
fluteplayer07 said:

And Memo, were you being literal when you said cooties/crawling things?

dustmite3.jpg

Memo

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the replies. The hat doesn't have any stains just gives me the creeps. Like when you are in a thrift store for too long, makes you want to take a silk-wood shower.

Artie

Suspended
Memo said:
Thanks for all the replies. The hat doesn't have any stains just gives me the creeps. Like when you are in a thrift store for too long, makes you want to take a silk-wood shower.

Oh man, than I got problems. I practically live in thrift stores.:D

Naphtali

Practically Family
Please clarify. The "cooties" to which you refer are not "our little brothers and sisters" crawling around the hat, laying eggs - ready to climb into your scalp to cause itching and more unpleasant things?
Memo said:
:eek:
Hi gang, I've been trolling this forum for a while and finally decided to join. This place has provided me with more helpful information than all the booze in a drunkards dream. I have been lucky enough to find some great Hats from fishing the bay and other places.
Recently I got one in the mail and it really skeeved me out. I've used scout products before for cleaning and brushes and sponges but this thing needs an acid wash or boiling. Is there some kind of disinfectant that I can use that will not ruin it? The hat has satin finish and it might the longer hair that's giving me the creeps or maybe it is because it looks like a cat's hair ball in the shape of a hat.
Thanks,
Memo

Artie

Suspended
Those look like dust mites, if that's what they are you are literally crawling with them. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't they live off of dead skin cells?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran