Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GG Campdraft or MS Fed?

rrog

A-List Customer
I'm thinking of another order from Hatsdirect and I'd like opinions please. Which would offer more utility, the Glen Grey Campdraft or the Moonstone Fed IV? And by that, I mean, which color is more versatile and which hat is better suited across a broad range of dress styles (casual, business-casual, dress, etc)? All opinions are welcome but I'd especially like to hear from those who have both of these hats. As always, pictures would be great. Side-by-side would be even better. Well, you get the idea. And lastly, I've already got the dark brown Fed IV. I love that one, it's just that it won't go with my mostly black/gray/dark blue-based wardrobe very well. Can't tell you how many times I've picked it up headed out the door and my wife will tell me to leave it and take the carbon grey Stylemaster. At least she's there to protect me from myself. :p

Thanks in advance,
rrog

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Fed IV in moonstone comes with a black band which makes it even more versatile I think. I have a Stetson Chatham in caribou grey (which is a very similar colour I think) and I am unable to find anything which it does not go with.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I agree. The Glen Grey is still pretty dark (though not as dark as Carbon/Steel/Mid-Grey) and it won't offer that much of an alternative to your Stylemaster.

I also have a Stetson in Caribou (a Temple) and it's quite different from my Glen Grey Stockman: its lighter color and black band goes very well with virtually everything in the black/grey/blue range. If the Moonstone is as similar to the Caribou as it seems to be, it's a winner.

(I will soon be in an even better position to give an opinion: I believe I have a Carbon/Steel/Mid-Grey Stylemaster like yours sitting waiting for me at my post office!)

Added the next morning: Okay, so I got the Stylemaster. It is indeed a much darker grey than my Stockman - it looks black in dim lighting. But I'm definitely keeping it: it's very elegant, and the smaller brim/crown works well for me. It is also softer out of the box than any other Akubra I've handled (notably the Fed III, Bogart): I lengthened the front dents easily. And it's got the unusual red-gold lining!

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rrog, the Campdraft just arrived less than an hour ago. My pic should help you decide. Both are sharp looking hats, but for a dress hat my choice would be the moonstone Fed. That said, I know the gray Campdraft is going to get a lot of noggin top time.

By the way, we missed you in Monteagle.

rrog

A-List Customer
BobC said:

Thanks. We were coming but I got sick on Tuesday and missed work the rest of the week. I'm thinking I got food poisoning because a guy I had lunch with on Monday also got sick and we had the same entree. Although I was feeling better by Saturday, I had too much to catch up on. I'm sorry I had to miss.

Both hats look great. Side by side, I'd say I like the looks of the Campdraft best, but as my original post mentioned, I want to consider every angle before I buy. I'd love to see your Campdraft bashed. You always have good-looking hats.

rrog

BobC said:
rrog, the Campdraft just arrived less than an hour ago. My pic should help you decide. Both are sharp looking hats, but for a dress hat my choice would be the moonstone Fed. That said, I know the gray Campdraft is going to get a lot of noggin top time.

man every time i see one of those new glen grey campdrafts, I get "grey" with envy.. I'm going to have to bust in my kid's piggy bank or beat up a ol' lady and get me one of those

grin.gif

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I don't have the Campdraft but sure like the looks of those posted around here. Especially the bound brim. But personally, I'd go with the Fed Deluxe moonstone. Have one of those. I think the Deluxe is worth the price differential for the Heritage-grade felt. All four of mine softened up very nicely with some gentle abuse and I suspect, from personal work on shrinking parts of one of them, that it's much more resistant to shrinkage over the long haul. Just an educated personal guess.

- Bill

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rrog said:
Thanks. We were coming but I got sick on Tuesday and missed work the rest of the week. I'm thinking I got food poisoning because a guy I had lunch with on Monday also got sick and we had the same entree. Although I was feeling better by Saturday, I had too much to catch up on. I'm sorry I had to miss.

Both hats look great. Side by side, I'd say I like the looks of the Campdraft best, but as my original post mentioned, I want to consider every angle before I buy. I'd love to see your Campdraft bashed. You always have good-looking hats.

rrog

When I get it creased this weekend, I will definitely put up some pictures. And thank you, I'm flattered. I'm really quite new and unskilled at it, but I've been trying to mimic some of the hat creasing gurus here.

I'm sorry to hear you were sick. You missed a true slice of life. :D

rrog

A-List Customer
I like that a lot. I was leaning toward the Fed IV, but that's a sharp looking hat. Maybe I ought to reconsider...

rrog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace