Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghosts, anyone?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Interesting.

Irena said:
I believe that there are presences in some places, though I've never come across one. I have, however, encountered memories.

Has anyone here felt a memory? I can't really explain it, but there is no presence involved. For example, in houses, you can feel (not always) whether a room has happy or sad memories. Sometimes you can even feel how these memories were made. I can even feel this in not-so-old houses.

Call me crazy, but that's my story.

Thoughts and feelings are really just electromagnetic energy, and according to the laws of thermodynamics; energy, once created, can not be destroyed, only changed. So therefore, maybe thoughts and feelings linger in places even long after the events that inspired them?

(You're not crazy!) :)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Given that she was climbing into bed with me before we'd even been introduced, I'd hesitate to call her a lady... ;)[/QUOTE]

Ha! Good point! :)

GB I & II

Spates Catalog, Tobin's Spirit Guide!
Race memory hidden in the stream of consciencousness, past life experience.

Are you the keymaster?
Yesss, I'm a friend of his, he told me to meet him here.

He is Vigo! you are like the buzzing of flies to him!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Fascinating, Doc.

[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Among other things, yes.[/QUOTE]To say the least. I bet you have some tales to tell. Sorry to say I know a few people that could use your services.
When does the book come out?

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
To say the least. I bet you have some tales to tell. Sorry to say I know a few people that could use your services.
When does the book come out?

There have been one or two interesting occurrences, yes. The book's out in the UK, Europe, Canada & Australia on the first of May. Sadly the US hasn't picked it up yet.

It's got me writing again, though, which I stopped after the radio show came to an end. Now I'm halfway through the next book (a novel), and have the one after that (another novel, set in the twenties) almost entirely plotted. What effect this will have on my main work - consulting on the paranormal and dealing with peoples' problems - remains to be seen.

Bebop

Practically Family
I still don't believe but.....

I should probably start out by saying that I do not believe in what science has not verified and that I am an Atheist so believing in anything supernatural is far from my way of life. I believe that when you die, you lay there and that is it. You don't come back, you don't go anywhere, you are dead. Your soul goes with you. Other peoples memories is the only thing left of you once you are dead. Having said that; My father in law died in 1990. A week after his death my wife was visiting relatives in Arkansas and I was home alone with our bulldog, Elvis, the second of four that we have had. I was out in the back yard throwing out the trash with Elvis at around 11 pm one night when I hear someone open the back screen door and I look up and see my father in law who calls Elvis to him. But he does not call him Elvis, he calls him Gina which was the name of our first Bulldog. Elvis runs barking into the house. Without missing a beat or understanding what is happening, I tell him that this is Elvis not Gina. Before I can comprehend what just happened, he says "Well, he's a beautiful dog too" and goes back inside while I stand there and realize that I have goose bumps and my heart is beating hard and fast. I talked to what I firmly believed was my father in law a week after his death. I was almost afraid to go inside but wondering what happened to Elvis and how he got inside without me opening the screen door made me go in the house to find Elvis on the couch like nothing happened at all. I don't know what to make of the incident and have never had anything happen again. I still think that it was my brain that did it all yet can't explain why the dog barked and ran into the house and how he got inside when I was 50 yards away and you have to open the screen door to get inside. That is the closest I have ever come to believing in something that does not exist.:)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
You saw this with you own two eyes,,.....

Bebop said:
I should probably start out by saying that I do not believe in what science has not verified and that I am an Atheist so believing in anything supernatural is far from my way of life. I believe that when you die, you lay there and that is it. You don't come back, you don't go anywhere, you are dead. Your soul goes with you. Other peoples memories is the only thing left of you once you are dead. Having said that; My father in law died in 1990. A week after his death my wife was visiting relatives in Arkansas and I was home alone with our bulldog, Elvis, the second of four that we have had. I was out in the back yard throwing out the trash with Elvis at around 11 pm one night when I hear someone open the back screen door and I look up and see my father in law who calls Elvis to him. But he does not call him Elvis, he calls him Gina which was the name of our first Bulldog. Elvis runs barking into the house. Without missing a beat or understanding what is happening, I tell him that this is Elvis not Gina. Before I can comprehend what just happened, he says "Well, he's a beautiful dog too" and goes back inside while I stand there and realize that I have goose bumps and my heart is beating hard and fast. I talked to what I firmly believed was my father in law a week after his death. I was almost afraid to go inside but wondering what happened to Elvis and how he got inside without me opening the screen door made me go in the house to find Elvis on the couch like nothing happened at all. I don't know what to make of the incident and have never had anything happen again. I still think that it was my brain that did it all yet can't explain why the dog barked and ran into the house and how he got inside when I was 50 yards away and you have to open the screen door to get inside. That is the closest I have ever come to believing in something that does not exist.:)

...and yet you don't believe it?! Man, you ARE sceptical! :rolleyes:

I have always had an open mind, and so as a result of that attitude, I think I have been allowed some glimpses into the realm of the unknown. Actually I think "unknown" is maybe a misnomer, maybe "un-understood" ( I know, that's not a word) describes these phenomena better.
Recent work in the field of theoretical physics strongly suggests, if not proves mathematically, the existance of other dimensions in space time. Hence matter of a differant nature could exist there,.....or even cross over into the dimension we inhabit and call reality. Who knows?

Bebop

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
...and yet you don't believe it?! Man, you ARE sceptical! :rolleyes:

I have always had an open mind, and so as a result of that attitude, I think I have been allowed some glimpses into the realm of the unknown. Actually I think "unknown" is maybe a misnomer, maybe "un-understood" ( I know, that's not a word) describes these phenomena better.
Recent work in the field of theoretical physics strongly suggests, if not proves mathematically, the existance of other dimensions in space time. Hence matter of a differant nature could exist there,.....or even cross over into the dimension we inhabit and call reality. Who knows?
I hear you Maj. Nick. I have been told that when things like what happened with my father in law happen to me, a sceptic, it is proof that ghosts do exist. I do have a very open mind. That means I take the evidence, check it out to the best of my ability, see what more intelligent people think about it, let things sink in, make sure my belief is not just because everyone else believes it and if there is proof of anything existing, not just my desire to have things exist, I believe in it. I would love to believe in magic and angels and espesially the tooth fairy and have it be true. :)

Bebop said:
I hear you Maj. Nick. I have been told that when things like what happened with my father in law happen to me, a sceptic, it is proof that ghosts do exist. I do have a very open mind. That means I take the evidence, check it out to the best of my ability, see what more intelligent people think about it, let things sink in, make sure my belief is not just because everyone else believes it and if there is proof of anything existing, not just my desire to have things exist, I believe in it. I would love to believe in magic and angels and espesially the tooth fairy and have it be true. :)

Let's see, you saw something that doesn't exist but you saw it. [huh] Hmmmmm....that either means you are psychologically imbalanced or you saw a physical manifestation of a full body apparition.
I would say I saw a ghost if I were you. :p ;)

Regards,

J

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
But he doesn't believe in that sort of thing.

jamespowers said:
Let's see, you saw something that doesn't exist but you saw it. [huh] Hmmmmm....that either means you are psychologically imbalanced or you saw a physical manifestation of a full body apparition.

Regards,

J

In much the same way that I myself can not believe a lot of the things I see with my own two eyes that go on in this world! :eusa_doh:

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Be very careful

"You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. "For God knows when you eat the fruit, your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." Genesis 3:4.

Same old demonic deception going on today. Do what you want, there's no real death. Murder, rape, steal, lie, whatever. You'll still live on in some form.

But: "The dead know not anything, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun." Ecclesiastes 9:5 & 6

When you're dead, you're dead. I'm not one to usually inject religious or political themes into discussions, but I thought it best to warn you all to be careful of 'ghosts'.

I can't recall the woman's name, but I read once about a woman whose son was missing in action, presumed dead, during the Vietnam War. After a while, a friend convinced the grieving lady to go with her to a local seance, certain that the mother would be able to contact her departed son, for the friend herself had spoken with her dead husband.

The woman attended for some months, and did indeed speak to her dead son. She could hear his voice clearly, and even see a presence during the seances. Imagine her suprise, then, when her son actually turned up on her doorstep one day. It took him a little while to concince his hysterical mother that he was actually alive, there in the flesh, and that he'd been hidden behind enemy lines, unable to get out for six months.

Which leaves the question: who, then, had impersonated the son during those
seances with such accuracy?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Benny Holiday said:
"You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. "For God knows when you eat the fruit, your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." Genesis 3:4.

Same old demonic deception going on today. Do what you want, there's no real death. Murder, rape, steal, lie, whatever. You'll still live on in some form.

But: "The dead know not anything, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun." Ecclesiastes 9:5 & 6

When you're dead, you're dead. I'm not one to usually inject religious or political themes into discussions, but I thought it best to warn you all to be careful of 'ghosts'.

I can't recall the woman's name, but I read once about a woman whose son was missing in action, presumed dead, during the Vietnam War. After a while, a friend convinced the grieving lady to go with her to a local seance, certain that the mother would be able to contact her departed son, for the friend herself had spoken with her dead husband.

The woman attended for some months, and did indeed speak to her dead son. She could hear his voice clearly, and even see a presence during the seances. Imagine her suprise, then, when her son actually turned up on her doorstep one day. It took him a little while to concince his hysterical mother that he was actually alive, there in the flesh, and that he'd been hidden behind enemy lines, unable to get out for six months.

Which leaves the question: who, then, had impersonated the son during those
seances with such accuracy?

Maybe it was a case of her wanting to believe so much that she convinced herself it really was her son? Times of war always have brought about a huge interest in spiritism. Especially among those that have lost their loved ones. It's hard for many people to accept the finality of this kind of loss.

The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.

All hope abandon, ye who enter here!

Consider your origin; you were not born to live like brutes, but to follow virtue and knowledge.

If the present world go astray, the cause is in you, in you it is to be sought.

In the middle of the journey of our life I came to myself within a dark wood where the straight way was lost.

Dante Alighieri had a lot to quote as well I suppose. Then there is Jesus himself:

"Blessed are the Poor in Spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven."

Just an example of how quotes are not going to change the minds of most people. :eek:fftopic:
And now back to Ghost Stories.

Regards to all,

J

Bebop

Practically Family
jamespowers said:

Regards,

J

You would say that if you believed in ghosts. If you don't believe in ghosts, you are certain that they don't exist. Therefore you would be positive that it was not a ghost but your mind playing tricks on you. Because I can't explain it does not mean there was a ghost or that anyone else has had a ghost sighting. It means it seemed like the ghost experience that people describe. There was a call for interesting ghost stories so I related my experience with "ghosts". I refuse to believe that you seriously believe that you have to be psychologically imbalanced to have your brain play tricks on you so I will properly ignore that.:rolleyes:lol I knew that someone would toss the word "morals" around when dealing with "spirits". I am just surprised it took so long.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ghostly experiences

I was skeptical to a point until 15 months ago when my mother died. I'd cared for her at home for a dozen years from the point she'd been released from the hospital after a stroke left her paralyzed in the left arm & leg, until six weeks before she died, when she was hospitalized due to an infection. That infection was ultimately cured, but she got pneumonia and that's what ultimately did her in in 4 days time.

I'm only going to say three things happened later that day. Two you could write off as just weird coincidences, which is what I sort of did that day. The third, as my partner put it, left no doubt in his normally skeptical mind, and freaked me out to the point I jumped up and ran from my desk into the hallway.

But I will relate one other completely weird thing that had occurred several years before. My grandmother had a rocking chair. Nothing special, just a maple rocker with tie-on cushions that she'd bought in the early 60's when she moved to Long Beach. After she died, it sat in the living room of Mom & Dad's house for years. When we first brought it home, our dog would jump up in the seat for a moment, then ears flat as if cowering, he'd jump off the chair and run and hide under the bed. But he started staying way away from the chair. His ears would lay flat, his tail curl down when he'd have to walk near the chair, and usually take off like a shot when he was past it.

There were many times I would doze off watching TV and I'd wake up and the chair would be rocking on its own. No windows open, no drafts, no discernable reason for any motion, the dog in another room, behind closed doors sleeping. Or I'd just be sitting there watching something late at night, or studying, and the chair would do a couple of rocks. And I told nobody about it. It was just something creepy and I wasn't crazy, there had to be a logical explanation even if I couldn't figure it out. When we moved to Seattle, I gave the chair to Goodwill along with loads of other stuff.

About 7-8 years ago, at Halloween, a friend had told us this weird occurence at the private school where he teaches. He was alone on the top floor of the building, with a secretary at the reception desk 3 floors below waiting for an appointment. He felt someone massaging his shoulders, turned & nobody was there and flew downstairs to see if anyone had run out of the building. The secretary said nobody had entered or left the building, the doors were always locked in the late afternoon / early evening and unlocked when someone who had a tutoring session scheduled knocked at the door. From the look on his face, she said she knew our friend had just had a visit from Nellie, the founder of the school. Sooner or later, she'd pay everyone who worked there a visit. Nellie had founded the school back in the early 1900's, the school was the building it's currently in, and she had her living quarters on the top floor, later converted to offices & classrooms.

So we come home from that party (Mom had stayed home with a friend). The next day, when we were having lunch, I said to Mom "At times, I wish I'd kept Granny's rocker. It doesn't really go with the rest of the furniture, but it was a nice rocker." I was trying to keep what I said generic and not lead the conversation anywhere. Mom's response was, "Oh, I'm glad you got rid of that thing. It was creepy - I used to see that thing just start rocking on it's own every once in awhile when I was up by myself watching TV or reading. All the dogs & the cat gave it a wide berth over the years. Scott <my brother who died in 1992> had it in his apartment for a few days and brought it back because he'd catch it moving out of the corner of his eye." None of the three of us had ever compared notes on it before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats