Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The original "Wild One"

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Whenever this subject comes up, I always feel the need to mention Hunter S. Thompson's "Hell's Angels." (1966) the book that really propelled the biker-outlaw into the public consciousness. I can remember it being a hot item of discussion among the smokers in my highschool restroom, and it's no surprise that the great wave of biker movies (most of them ridiculous crap, as Monitor mentioned) came out soon after the book's publication. I remember hearing somewhere that it was Thompson's doctoral dissertation.

Edward

Bartender
Whenever this subject comes up, I always feel the need to mention Hunter S. Thompson's "Hell's Angels." (1966) the book that really propelled the biker-outlaw into the public consciousness. I can remember it being a hot item of discussion among the smokers in my highschool restroom, and it's no surprise that the great wave of biker movies (most of them ridiculous crap, as Monitor mentioned) came out soon after the book's publication. I remember hearing somewhere that it was Thompson's doctoral dissertation.

It's one of his books I've never read, and really must do. As memory serves, the Angels were intially welcoming, but a later disagreement led to him being very badly beaten.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
It's one of his books I've never read, and really must do. As memory serves, the Angels were intially welcoming, but a later disagreement led to him being very badly beaten.
It's a really good sociological study and shows how perceptive HST was in those day. He makes it clear the Angels were losers, long before they stomped him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner