Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghosts of the Golden Era

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hi everyone,

I often read books about ghosts, and of course come across the cases where people claim to have seen ghosts of famous stars of the Golden Era. I was recently reading about Thelma Todd and her 'ghost'.

Just thought it may be an interesting thread to start here. Know of any Golden Era ghosts? Have you seen one? *lol*
X
BD

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I used to see a ghost in my house all the time when I was a kid.

But I really wanted to see the ghost of Marilyn. So much so, I would dress up like her to try to attract her.

She never came. I guess she had other things to do beside visit a ridiculous little girl in New Jersey! lol

rue

Every neighbor I have has a ghost story, but then again all the houses were built over a hundred years ago.

When I first moved into my house I would find my keys in the yard even though I had to use them to get in the house and if there was a strange banging noise in the basement I would yell "stop" and it would, but I thought I was imagining things until one morning about a year ago....

I was going upstairs to get my daughter up for school and I thought I saw her run past me in her white robe to get to the bathroom, but I didn't hear the door slam behind her. She was still asleep, as was everyone in the house. I even felt the breeze when it happened.

I haven't seen anything since, but I always feel like someone is behind me and the dogs will occasionally bark at corners of the house for no reason.

Tiller

Practically Family
My Aunt is always afraid people from our family are going to haunt her. She lives in the old family homestead, and three generation's have died in that house that we know of, my Grandmother (who passed onto her eternal reward this February) being the latest.

She told me that she had a dream, that started when she "woke up" and went down stairs and opened the kitchen door. From the kitchen all the way to the living room their were dozens of people that she didn't know, talking and seemingly celebrating something. Obviously she though "what the heck?", and noticed that everyone was dressed in completely different styles. She then noticed her Uncles in spots, and someone who looked like the picture of her Grandfather that hangs in the reading room. Then her father walked over to her, and told her he loved her and was glad to see her. He then smiled and said "Well we are all here because it's Marion's time."

She then started crying and ran behind the kitchen door and tried to keep it shut, crying and screaming that they weren't going to take her Mother from her. Meanwhile my Grandfather supposedly kept saying "Honey, don't be afraid we aren't going to hurt her. It's just her time." She then woke up.

A few days later my Grandmother had a stroke, and 3 weeks after that she left us. Take the story for what it's worth.

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Aunt is always afraid people from our family are going to haunt her. She lives in the old family homestead, and three generation's have died in that house that we know of, my Grandmother (who passed onto her eternal reward this February) being the latest....

My grandmother made sure to touch all of the corpses of her family members so that they wouldn't haunt her.

Later

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
'passed on to her eternal reward' what a lovely expression!

I don't have any golden era ghostie stories, but when I was a student I worked nights in a care home to help pay for my tuition. There was a lovely old lady who I used to help dress etc before bedtime. She said to me one night 'tell him to go away' so I asked 'who?'
'Gordon, my husband'
Well, I knew her husband had died many years before so to humour her I said 'Please Gordon, it's not gentlemanly to watch a lady getting dressed' she seemed happy with that and then as I helped her into bed she said 'would you open the window for us?'
I asked her why and she said, 'because it's my time and he's come for me and we want to fly out together through the window'
I did as she asked and she seemed so happy, she squeezed my hand and said 'Goodbye'
She died that night and I found it pretty comforting to be honest with you. Anyway, sorry off topic but I wanted to share.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My father's parents both died at home, and he has said that on their deathbeds they said that "so and so (the closest persons to them that had previously died) were coming to get them." They apparently could see them, even described what they were wearing and looked like. I'm not sure if this is common or not, or if that counts as a ghost.

I grew up in a house built in the 1810s-1820s. My parents have a small house on the property that was the first house built, and it has a corner that is always dark and in shadows, even when it seems like it physically shouldn't be- there is a window in that corner that faces south. Both my mother and I noticed it separately. It is really creepy. Both there and in the main house there are certain rooms in which one feels like one is being watched with an air of "what are you going to do in here? you don't belong here. we disapprove. we are watching you. you are an intruder- this is our space."

Things move around and disappear for short times within that house, sometimes personal things, like jewerly and my hairbrush once. They tend to disappear and then are found sitting out in the open in one of the rooms in the older part of the house. My father says that there are three women in the house. That might be why they like jewlery and hairbrushes, but we've also had other small things disappear, like alarm clocks.

I've heard voices (two women) in my own house talking, hushed like people would over coffee, but in a postive tone of voice. We live in the suburbs, so you can often hear other people outside. I've walked around the house and even outside and never found anyone about who the noise could be coming from. Typically when I get "closer" to the voices they stop, when I return to the room I was in (or another part of the house) they start again. It could just be neighbors, we also have a forced air system and I've noticed the ducts carry sounds.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
When I was about 4 or 5 I would lie in my bed, pitch dark, and I'd watch a man shuffle up and down the hallway in front of my bedroom door. Every night he would shuffle back and forth unless it was raining.

He never came in the room. He never made any kind of contact with me whatsoever. I remember him vividly -- he was a "cowboy" type of guy. He wore brown chaps, a brown vest, and a brown cowboy hat. His hair was very long and he had a long beard. He also wore sunglasses. His walk was a shuffley limp.

He didn't scare me one bit. I never told my parents about it until I was a teenager. My mom told me the bathroom light used to turn on by itself around that time. My dad, half joking, told me the builder and originial owner of our house died in my bedroom.

Around this same time I used to get awaken by a sharp finger poke in my back. THAT scared me a little and I would lie there still, pretending to be asleep. I also told my parents about this and my mom laughed at me! She said "That was me! I wanted to make sure you were asleep!" lol

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Threadmerge?

Reading all this stuff is just fascinating. I find it interesting, all these ghost stories with a family connection. I remember one a few years ago about an old woman who died in her family home.

Every now and then, every few nights after that, the other people in the house kept hearing noises in the corridor outside their bedrooms. The man of the house set up a security camera at the end of the hallway and turned it on every night before bed. It took a while but he eventually got some filmic proof of a shadowy figure leaving one bedroom, going down the corridor and entering another bedroom.

The bedroom that the ghost exited hadn't been used...ever since granny died.

The bedroom the ghost was seen to go into...belonged to her grandchild.

Granny keeping an eye on the kids at night, perhaps?

The Stanley Hotel, which was the inspiration for the famous 'Overlook Hotel'...

Stanleyhotel.jpg

...is supposedly haunted by ghosts from the early 20th century. The hotel opened in 1909. Guests have reported missing or moved luggage and jewellery and hotel staff, from porters to waiters and chefs working in the kitchen have said that the Ballroom is haunted. Staff say they've heard the piano being played when the ballroom is empty and even say they've heard sounds of a full-on party being thrown in the ballroom...when it's empty.

20100301_DSC_0017.JPG

The supposedly haunted ballroom. Can you imagine a ghostly 1920s hot jazz party going on in there in the dead of night?

Last edited:

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Who or what was Thelma's ghost? Was it something she noted in her short life or some posthumous claim made by a biographer?

Ha ha...I meant the ghost of Thelma Todd. People have claimed to see her ghost at the the Cafe she once owned. Poor Thelma...what a mystery about her death.

Glad to see everyone sharing their ghost encounters! The things you've shared are fascinating..perhaps we should just change this to a generic ghost thread? I don't see why not! I've had once strange incident happen to me...but I can't claim it to be 'supernatural.' Who knows!
X
BD

Last edited:

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Threadmerge?

Reading all this stuff is just fascinating. I find it interesting, all these ghost stories with a family connection. I remember one a few years ago about an old woman who died in her family home.

Every now and then, every few nights after that, the other people in the house kept hearing noises in the corridor outside their bedrooms. The man of the house set up a security camera at the end of the hallway and turned it on every night before bed. It took a while but he eventually got some filmic proof of a shadowy figure leaving one bedroom, going down the corridor and entering another bedroom.

The bedroom that the ghost exited hadn't been used...ever since granny died.

The bedroom the ghost was seen to go into...belonged to her grandchild.

Granny keeping an eye on the kids at night, perhaps?

The Stanley Hotel, which was the inspiration for the famous 'Overlook Hotel'...

Stanleyhotel.jpg

...is supposedly haunted by ghosts from the early 20th century. The hotel opened in 1909. Guests have reported missing or moved luggage and jewellery and hotel staff, from porters to waiters and chefs working in the kitchen have said that the Ballroom is haunted. Staff say they've heard the piano being played when the ballroom is empty and even say they've heard sounds of a full-on party being thrown in the ballroom...when it's empty.

20100301_DSC_0017.JPG

The supposedly haunted ballroom. Can you imagine a ghostly 1920s hot jazz party going on in there in the dead of night?

This hotel was featured on that show 'Ghost Hunters.' What a beautiful and yet creepy place. I'd love to visit it one day.

I've been on a few 'ghost hunts' in my time, none at such a beautiful place though!
X
BD

The famed Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, built in 1927, was the site of the very first Academy Awards. The all-star cast of ghosts said to haunt this edifice include Marilyn Monroe, Montgomery Clift, Humphrey Bogart, and Carmen Miranda.

RooseveltHotel03.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Without trying to offend anybody, if for whatever reason, I don't actually believe in "ghosts," (I believe in the existence of angels and demons though) nor have I ever claimed to have had an encounter with any such thing, but is anybody else here familiar with the "hat man" or "shadow people" phenomenon?

Read a bit about it at Wikipedia, for example...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_people

432px-Shadowman-3.jpg

Interesting, but I haven't heard of it until now, I was just wondering if anyone here claims to have had a sighting of one of these mysterious figures. They apparently wear fedora hats and trench coats.

Anyone have any personal experiences. I'm a bit of an amateur 'ghost hunter' and have had many encounters.

What sort of encounters, if you're willing to share some stories? I'm usually curious when someone mentions this sort of thing, although I see it differently.

Last edited:
There is a cemetery out in the country, well off the beaten path. The place is the best known haunt in the area. Lots of crazy things happen there.

-You'll look at a headstone, look back and it'll be gone.
-I've seen figures move from headstone to headstone.
-I saw a grim-reaper type figure circling the edges of the cemetery.
-The craziest one, which I have seen on 3 occasions was we were sitting in the car, outside of the cemetery. There was a shadow way off in the distance, looked to be about the size of a person. As it got closer, it got bigger, and by the time it was about 25 feet from us, it was the size of the car and we got the heck outta there.

My parents built their house about 100 feet from an old farm house that was known as the 'haunted house' when he was a kid. The site was also an indian camp site and back in the 30's they found indian bones, rutted up by pigs about 100 feet from where their stands. My mother, sister, and I have all seen a shadow of a figure go across the master bedroom. When you're downstairs in the house, you can hear footsteps upstairs, when nobody else is in the house.

The farmhouse where I spent most of my life, there was always odd shadows, figures, etc.
One strange story is when I was about 6 and my brother and sister were about 3, I came downstairs and asked my mom if she gave me a kiss goodnite. She said no, and I described the lady, dark hair, pink robe. My mom doesn't own a pink robe. My brother, then my sister woke up, told the same story, unprompted and we hadn't talked to eachother.
The dog also, when we would let him in, would bolt through the kitchen, then stand in the door barking into the kitchen, and would bark at the kitchen window from outside.

My dad ran his gun shop out of the barn for a time and had bells on the doors and they would chime for no reason all the time.

Our house in Milwaukee, my dad had a punching bag hanging from a beam and he heard a noise down there and went downstairs. The bag was swinging full force back and forth as if someone lifted it to the ceiling and gave it a push. He also heard a small girl giggling down there.

Where I live now, my orange recliner will occasionally rock on its own, only the one on the right, never the one on the left. And myself and my friends also get the feeling you're being watched from the other end of the house.

I also believe that items can be haunted.

My dad has this Pabst 1893 Calendar and our dog would bark and howl and growl at it all the time.
When my sister was little she had a little toy doorbell on her room. My dad brought home a 1898 Pabst Malt Extract ad and hung it next to her door. It has a picture of a little girl hugging a big Pabst Extract bottle. From the day it went up in that spot, the doorbell would ring at random all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot