Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibson and Barnes A-2 Questions

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
What do the A-2 mavens think of a goatskin G&B jacket? Is it the same quality as a Cockpit? Do the sizes run small or larger? They have a goatskin for $378.00. They seem to be a bit cheaper than others. Are they good jackets for the money? Thank you.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
They are better than Cockpit. Sizing runs LARGE, though the numeric sizing and Short and Tall versions allow for some fine-tuning. (Stay away from generic S-M-L sizing!)

I've had two G&B jackets for years: a Civil A-2 (2001) and M-422A (2005). Both have held up splendidly. Aside from some of the topcoat wearing off the epaulets and windflap of the A-2 (which I've worn more), they look nearly new. The only thing I don't like about them is the "texturized nylon knits" on the A-2, which quickly became fuzzy (though they are very tough and hard to trim) - the wool knits on the M-422A are much better. Of course, they may not be using the exact same knits 13 years later, so take this criticism with a grain of salt...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I've tried two Civil A-2s, a Raider, and a Navy G-1 (three sizes too big, purchased before I knew how to size myself lol).
They're great jackets. The most recent I tried, another Civil A-2, seemed to be cut differently than the previous (arms/shoulders seemed bigger) and I returned it, as it didn't look like the Civil A-2 I remembered. One or two other Loungers have noticed the same thing, but I wouldn't venture to call the cut change official, as I/we could have just been handed some bad apples, and as I didn't have my previous A-2 in my possesion at the time, perhaps the old one was cut the same way but I never noticed it. I'd still consider another after this, as for the price of those base models, nothing comes close. I also briefly owned a horsehide Cockpit A-2, which in retrospect wasn't quite as nice as the GB (maybe about 85-90% there). For a little more than the price I paid then, I'd now get an Aero from the sale page or Kelso house model, or Aerial Star (though it's not a mil repro) but I still have an affinity for these "no frills" A-2s. Keep checking the GB sale page and ebay as well.

I'd try G&B because they're great working with return-wise if it doesn't work out. And you'll find them excellent people. I really liked the Navy G-1 and the Raider, and I found the synthetic knits to be comfortable with no issues (but I hadn't experienced the knit piling yet).

I'd size 1-2 sizes down from your chest size. The jacket will still be somewhat blousy but that should get you in the ballpark.

Last edited:

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I bought a GB Civil A-2 on ebay that I'm going to back up on ebay in the next few whiles. It has a zip out Thinsulate inner jacket and is really warm. I'm usually a 42 and the GB jacket is a 40. This jackets fits well, but only with the inner jacket (including sleeves) zipped in and filling up some space. I'm flipping it because with liner out, it's too big on me. Otherwise it's a high quality jacket all around. P.S. if you're the right size and want to PM me, I'll let you :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn