Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibson & barnes Historic A-2

Dracorex

Familiar Face
Scott, the vegetable tanned goatskin used on the Mark 31 is IMO every bit as nice as the goatskin used by Aero, which is really saying a lot. The chrome tanned goatskin used on most of G&B's other jackets is completely different than the veg tanned goatskin used on the Mark 31, and you will see what I mean if and when you have the opportunity to compare the two together. Enjoy your visits to San Diego, which might be the nicest all around city in the US. You will definitely enjoy a visit to G&B!

Fanch, I own a G&B Navy G-1 and a M-422A. I was recently sent a leather sample of their veg-tanned goatskin and I don't see much of a difference at all. The grain is a little more pronounced than their chrome tanned but nothing dramatic. The thickness of the leather is actually a little thinner than the chrome tanned goatskin sample I have. I was expecting the veg tanned goat to at least feel stiffer than the chrome tanned but they both feel exactly the same! I was actually quite disappointed. I was expecting to see a big difference.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Samples don't necessarily show an accurate representation of the final product. Since I am not a leather expert, I can only give my impressions as a novice. However, the "feel" of the veg tanned goatskin on my G&B Mark 31 A-2 is thicker and has far greater "character" than the goatskin on my G&B Expedition jacket and a number of the chrome tanned goatskin jackets that I saw at the G&B factory. The goatskin on my Cooper G-1 feels identical to my G&B Expedition. The veg tanned goatskin on my Mark 31 has similar grain, thickness, and character to the seal goatskin used on my Aero pioneer, just different colors with the Aero being very dark brown and the G&B being a lighter chocolate in color.

Dracorex

Familiar Face
Samples don't necessarily show an accurate representation of the final product. Since I am not a leather expert, I can only give my impressions as a novice. However, the "feel" of the veg tanned goatskin on my G&B Mark 31 A-2 is thicker and has far greater "character" than the goatskin on my G&B Expedition jacket and a number of the chrome tanned goatskin jackets that I saw at the G&B factory. The goatskin on my Cooper G-1 feels identical to my G&B Expedition. The veg tanned goatskin on my Mark 31 has similar grain, thickness, and character to the seal goatskin used on my Aero pioneer, just different colors with the Aero being very dark brown and the G&B being a lighter chocolate in color.

Everything I've always seen posted about G&B veg tanned goatskin has always been very positive. Like you, I'm a big fan of G&B jackets. I guess I'll just have to order one and see for myself. I'm sure I'll be very happy with it.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Fanch - When you were fondling the jackets in the G&B showroom, did you notice if the standard goatskin has a bit of surface texture to it? I rather like leather to have some visible grain, sort of like scotchgrain shoes.

kojax

Practically Family
hello people i have every leather sample from g&b if anybody is looking i will send you a leather sample i have a few of gibson barnes leather jackets. my size is a 38 all my jackets fit well

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Fanch - When you were fondling the jackets in the G&B showroom, did you notice if the standard goatskin has a bit of surface texture to it? I rather like leather to have some visible grain, sort of like scotchgrain shoes.

The veg tanned goatskin seems to have far greater surface texture than the standard chrome tanned goatskin used on most of the G&B standard issue military jackets, Expedition, etc.

atomjet58

Familiar Face
With all this praise for the GB Mark 31 goatskin A-2 I would like to mention that I have had a size 42 Mark 31 for sale
on FL for several months if anyone is interested. It really is thicker and has more grain than any other goatskin
I've seen and the silk lining is pretty nice too. I recently got a couple of horsehide A-2s that are very nice so I need to sell the
Mark 31 and a size 46 Cooper to make more room in the closet.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
With all this praise for the GB Mark 31 goatskin A-2 I would like to mention that I have had a size 42 Mark 31 for sale
on FL for several months if anyone is interested. It really is thicker and has more grain than any other goatskin
I've seen and the silk lining is pretty nice too. I recently got a couple of horsehide A-2s that are very nice so I need to sell the

It appears that the measurements for your G&B Mark 31 labeled as size 42 are pretty much identical to my G&B Mark 31 labeled as size 40. Based on measurements, both our jackets are actually tall (long). At the price that you are attempting to sell your G&M Mark 31, consider keeping it in your closet! ;)

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
atomjet58 said:
Fanch said:
It appears that the measurements for your G&B Mark 31 labeled as size 42 are pretty much identical to my G&B Mark 31 labeled as size 40. Based on measurements, both our jackets are actually tall (long). At the price that you are attempting to sell your G&M Mark 31, consider keeping it in your closet! ;)
Please shut up Fanch, I'm hoping he still wants to sell that coat!

atomjet58

Familiar Face
The Mark 31 is a very nice jacket and it has more freedom of arm movement than other A-2s I have worn since the arm
holes are higher up. Unfortunately it's always been a little to large for me and I recently have lost some weight so now it's even
bigger. It does appear to be a bit long proportionately. The Cooper is standard length but a little to wide in the shoulders for me.
It's good as a low cost daily wear jacket for someone with the right shape for it.
I've been thinking of putting the Mark 31 on Ebay.

Edward

Bartender
Nice jackets, but I will have to say the first thing I noticed was the tree. It appears to be much larger than Jan's tree. Haven't seen much of Jan lately.

Thanks for posting the measurements. That confirms what we already know: When buying online, get an accurate p2p from the seller; stated sizing is all over the board.

Even between different patterns from the same manufacture - as, of course, one would expect, due to difference in cut between different contracts. I definitely need a size bigger in earlier Aero contract repros than in the 42 contract model I have.

Those G&B jackets look nice - seem to be a superb price if you're in the US too. Definitely worth considering, the way the price of high end A2s has shot up in recent years.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I sent G&B an email about a week ago asking for sleeve lengths on 40R versus 40L for their standard military A2, but no response, which I think odd.

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
Call them. I found Drew and Amanda very helpful at different times. By the way, Fanch, what is your height/weight, if you don't mind providing? Both jackets look great, too.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Call them. I found Drew and Amanda very helpful at different times. By the way, Fanch, what is your height/weight, if you don't mind providing? Both jackets look great, too.

Good idea to call G&B. I am 6'2" & weigh 180-185. I have long arms and wear a 16-16.5 X 36-37 shirt if that helps.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
AustinTX said:
Fanch said:
Good idea to call G&B.
Okay thanks guys, that's exactly what I will do. I guess they might be a much smaller company than I imagine, in terms of staff that is, and if so then using the blower is always best.

Stormpaw

New in Town
Fanch, that is a fine looking jacket. It fits you very nicely, as well.

I have be considering one of Gibson and Barnes' Mark 31 A-2 jackets for a while. After seeing your photographs I think I am going to have to get one.

Of course, now I am a bit worried about the sizing (I don't own an A-2 to compare). I'm normally a 44R, but it sounds like 42R would be a better place to start looking.

Thanks for the information,
Stormpaw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn