Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibson & barnes Historic A-2

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I recently posted some of my previous experieneces with G&B on an earlier thread "Gibson & Barnes M422a, Us Wings $195" and thought that I would open a new thread regarding my latest experience from having visited the G&B factory earlier this month just prior to departing San Diego on an 18 day HAL cruise to Hawaii.

When I arrived at the G&B factory, I had planned to buy their AN-J-3 in 42T (tall) but found it a bit on the large size for me. In their rack of "historic" A-2 jackets, I tried on a 42T and 40T and selected the 42T and took it with me on the ship. However, as the trip progressd, I though better of my choice and requested that the sales rep at G&B ship the 40T to me so that I could reassess my earlier choice. My final decision is to keep the 40T and send the 42T back to G&B.

The 40L definitely fits much better than the 42L. The G&B 40T is actually a bit bigger than my Aero Bronco A-2 that is labeled as a size 44 (long). It is interesting how labeling of sizes varies greatly from one vendor to another. When I measured the pit to pit of the G&B 40T, I came up with 24.5" (the G&B 42T was 25.5" and the Aero 44 was 24").

IMO the G&B veg tanned goatskin used on their "historic" A-2 jackets is far nicer than the chrome tanned used on their contemporary A-2's. Also their historic jackets seem to have a slimmer fit in the torso than their contemporary A-2's, and I much prefer G&B historic A-2's over their contemporary A-2's with baggy torso, thinner chrome goatskin with less character, and polyester knits. The G&B Type A-2 Mark 31 is made from veg tanned russet goatskin, silk lining, stand collar, and very nice wool knits. Of course all of this is reflected in the price of the jacket!

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-296723/Type-A2-Mark-31.html

The veg tanned russet goatskin that G&B uses on their historic A-2 is actually more of a chocolate color, whereas the Aero russet goatskin (and russet MWHH) has more of a reddish tint present.

G&B 40T Historic A-2

44L Aero Bronco A-2

G&B size 40 A-2 on the left and Aero Bronco size 44 on the right

Brettafett

One Too Many
Fanch, both very nice jackets and both look like they fit very well. That G&B is quite a sharp looking jacket, not as roomy as I assumed they would be. I guess thats because its one of their WW2 models... I also like their colours. Only Aero and G&B seem to have a mid brown/ chocolatey coloured leather (ELC kinda has something close), but everyone else seems to like putting a lot of red tones into their hides...
I have had my eye on their 43 model, but G&B's sizing puts me off, too risky for the import/returns game ;)
Your Bronco looks fantastic. I received one post company 'drama' and was disappointed on a number of details, but yours looks great!
Thanks for the pics, always a pleasure seeing some good looking jackets and how they wear.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Brett, the G&B model 43 A-2 should be sized the same as my model 31 A-2, except the latter is made from smooth 3-ounce horsehide, cotton lining, and no collar stand. The model 43 has a choice of mahogany (dark brown) or russet (chocolate brown). I would be more than happy to offer any personal input regarding sizing, or will say "I don't know" if I don't. ;)

wdw

One Too Many
Two very good looking jackets on you, Fanch. Interesting how the sizes can apparently vary so much.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Franch, any chance of taking a few more measurements? as per this guide Thanks!

G&B 40T (long)
pit to pit: 24.5"
back length: 27"
shoulder: 19.5"
sleeve length: 27.25"

G&B 42T
pit to pit: 25.5"
shoulder: 20"

Aero Bronco A-2 44(long)
pit to pit: 24"
shoulder: 19.25"
sleeve length: 27"

G&B Expedition 44T
pit to pit: 26"
back length: 26"
sleeve length: 26"

The G&B Expedition was somewhat difficult to assess beacuse of the gusseted underarms, bi-swing back, and the Expedition is constructed in such a way as to make the shoulder seams fall beyond my shoulders as you can see from the photos.

The Indy jacket seems to just hang on Harrison Ford in like manner too. :D

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Interesting Fanch. The 40T and 42T barely differ. My understanding of pit to pit for a size 40 is around 21 inches, not a staggering 24.5 which is generally a size 46 jacket measurement. Maybe I should have ordered a size 40t expedition. I'm your size and my 42t fits fine but I'm always looking to shed surplus leather.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Seb, there is two inches difference in the circumference of the chest between the 40T and 42T. However, the tipping point for me was the excess in the body of the 42T that was not present in the body of the 40T, as shown in the photos of the 42T below:

42T below:

40T below. Note the smile on my face below and the frown above:

Peacoat

Bartender
Nice jackets, but I will have to say the first thing I noticed was the tree. It appears to be much larger than Jan's tree. Haven't seen much of Jan lately.

Thanks for posting the measurements. That confirms what we already know: When buying online, get an accurate p2p from the seller; stated sizing is all over the board.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Wow, going by those measurements I'd be a 36 extra long! Yes, I prefer the HH and sans collar stand, so the 43 would be my bet.
For sure you made the right call on your 40T. Actually those G&B jackets look pretty trim and neat, not as bulbous as I'd expect!
Thanks for the measurements and photos... great stuff.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Excellent fit Fanch; lookin' good! Years ago, I had a G&B Mk 31 goatskin Historic model A-2. I bought the 42T even though I'm usually a 46 Long in a sport coat and in most other A-2 jackets.
A very comfortable jacket; loved that silk lining! Alas I sold it later on to help fund a LW purchase.

Enjoy your jacket; wear it in good health my friend.

Richard. Last one looks great. I know you love G&B but you're cut for the slimmer jackets. Thankfully the last one fits the bill. Well done.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. The 40T definitely works for me and would for all of the G&B "historic" A-2's including the Mark 31, 41, and 43. I suspect that their Navy M-422A would also work for me as well in 40T. For any member visiting San Diego, a visit to the G&B factory is definitely worth the trip. The Trolley Orange Line (light rail) goes from the downtown area to within a 10 minute walk to the G&B factory.

Thanks guys. The 40T definitely works for me and would for all of the G&B "historic" A-2's including the Mark 31, 41, and 43. I suspect that their Navy M-422A would also work for me as well in 40T. For any member visiting San Diego, a visit to the G&B factory is definitely worth the trip. The Trolley Orange Line (light rail) goes from the downtown area to within a 10 minute walk to the G&B factory.

Richard, were planning a couple trips to SD next fall to see some football. This will be part of the trip as it's close enough to we're were going.
The hide looks nice. What are your thoughts on it?

hyptul

Familiar Face
I own 4 G&B jackets (Skyliner, Maricopa, Raider and Catalina). All these jackets are size 48R. All of them are a little too narrow in the neck, especially Raider and Catalina. Catalina is a little wide in the body, and Maricopa sleeves are little too short.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Richard, were planning a couple trips to SD next fall to see some football. This will be part of the trip as it's close enough to we're were going.
The hide looks nice. What are your thoughts on it?

Scott, the vegetable tanned goatskin used on the Mark 31 is IMO every bit as nice as the goatskin used by Aero, which is really saying a lot. The chrome tanned goatskin used on most of G&B's other jackets is completely different than the veg tanned goatskin used on the Mark 31, and you will see what I mean if and when you have the opportunity to compare the two together. Enjoy your visits to San Diego, which might be the nicest all around city in the US. You will definitely enjoy a visit to G&B!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Fanch said:
G&B 40T (long)
pit to pit: 24.5"
shoulder: 19.5"

G&B 42T
pit to pit: 25.5"
Seb Lucas said:
Interesting Fanch. The 40T and 42T barely differ. My understanding of pit to pit for a size 40 is around 21 inches, not a staggering 24.5 which is generally a size 46 jacket measurement.
In my experience with north American civilian overcoat sizing, a 40 chest will usually be around 21" or 22", with a 42 around 23" to 24". That 24.5" you mention would be a 42 most of the time, not a 46, and the 25.5" which Fanch measured would generally be a civilian 44... by comparison I have a USMC tanker jacket which fits me snugly and it's a military 42L with 25" pit-to-pit measurement.

In any case, I'm struck by the identical sleeve lengths, which no matter how one spins them, are far too long for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner