Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibson & Barnes: Why the reduction in jackets?

Deacon211

One Too Many
Hey Fanch,

I wasn't under the impression that G+B supplied issue jackets to the mil (Navy/Marines at least). AFAIK, Pharr is the only current maker of the official G-1. My last issue is a Pharr (2004) and is nowhere as nice as the G+B, much to my dismay. I think a lot of vendors kind of use those "mil issue" and "mil-spec" terms a little loosely. Having said that, I do believe that G+B supplied a lot of specialized gear to the mil such as desert flight suits for the 92 Gulf War, the Blue Angel's helmets, and that sort of small open purchase type of gear.

I think G+B is a common venue for those in the service who want a nicer jacket than they were issued and I do think that the Coasties get their jackets from G+B (or other places) as the issue G-1 is stamped "USN" no matter who you issue it to. Back in the 90s, the Coasties got the same jackets as the Navy and the Marines did...I think the switch to a personalized USCG jacket is a relatively recent morale thing for them.

As for the differences I find the evolution interesting. Weren't the original -422As actually roomier than the later G-1s? Now the G+B G-1 is actually roomier than the 422A.

I will say this. My Pharr is actually kind of big on me for the size (48) and I was surprised that I needed a 48 to fit my shoulders. I know I've posted these before but,

Here's my 2004 issue Pharr in 48,

Now, here's my ELC G-1 in 46 (this is about how my older issue jacket fit if a little less roomy in the shoulders)

And here is my 1997 G+B 422A (with G-1 collar)...a little tight in the shoulders these days but look at the proportions

Since I have them, here's my issue Pharr, last years G+B G-1, and the 97 422A

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80