Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gin Lovers Unite!

univibe88

One Too Many
My best advice is to buy yourself some and try them for yourself. I can buy nips of each at my local store. The whole experiment will cost you under $10.

While you are at it, get some nips of whatever else they may have. They will likely have Beefeater and Tanqueray at the very least. Blind, side by side tasting is the best way to learn about any liquor.

Sapphire is higher in alcohol. It is also distilled with more botanicals and has a more complex taste. I find Sapphire to be spicier as well.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tried the cucumber garnish in my G&T (New Amsterdam) on Sunday.

Fantastically subtle taste. I had dropped a couple slices in there and by the time I got to the bottom of the glass and fished them out they were infused and potent little snacks.

stuartk

New in Town
Hendricks

Since discovering Henricks a couple of years ago, I am totally converted.

In addition to the traditional Juniper infusion, Hendrick's uses a hint of Bulgarian Rose followed by a mash of cucumber.

The final Hendrick's gin is a blend of two spirits (one Still producing a spirit which is of a heavy, oily character with a strong juniper-flavour and the other Still producing a lighter, sweeter floral flavour which gives the spirit its distinctive character). Lastly an addition of Cucumber essence and Rose petal essence.

Hendrick's suggests that the gin be served with tonic over ice garnished with cucumber instead of the traditional citrus. I do this on hot, summer days.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
hend-scales_4-199x300.jpg

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I love a gin and tonic (that and Pimms and lemonade are my joint summer favourites) and I love Hendricks. When I asked for Hendricks on a trip to Babington House in Somerset, I was told they had run out, but that I might like to try Millers Gin instead as the bar steward liked it himself. Well I did try it, and it was lovely! Still prefer Hendricks though.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ask your local liquor store(s) to get it from the distributers for you. In some cases they take a little nudging to bring out "less (locally) popular" brands.

skibum69

New in Town
on a job in New Brunswick and found it today. Enjoying a glass with a little ice and a slice of cucumber. The slightly floral taste is definitely a change from Sapphire or Ten. I'd like to try it in a few more incarnations such as in martinis

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
Well, i just got back from a friend's where i had Hendrick's for the first time. We had G and T's with a slice of cucumber. I must say i was quite impressed - among other things, that she had it at all. She tends to be the "whatever's cheap" sort. Apparently she was recommended Hendricks by he r girlfriend...who is allergic to gin.

So, i haven't figured out the math on that, but the drink was, nonetheless, quite good. I'm not certain that i prefer it over Bombay Sapphire - perhaps they are different enough that i would simply rather have both available.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
stuartk said:
Since discovering Henricks a couple of years ago, I am totally converted.

In addition to the traditional Juniper infusion, Hendrick's uses a hint of Bulgarian Rose followed by a mash of cucumber.

The final Hendrick's gin is a blend of two spirits (one Still producing a spirit which is of a heavy, oily character with a strong juniper-flavour and the other Still producing a lighter, sweeter floral flavour which gives the spirit its distinctive character). Lastly an addition of Cucumber essence and Rose petal essence.

Hendrick's suggests that the gin be served with tonic over ice garnished with cucumber instead of the traditional citrus. I do this on hot, summer days.

Ah, Hendrick's. I have tried many Gins, but I alway go back to the refreshing Hendrick's.

My wife works at a local winery, and their Wine Maker is originally from Bristol. As we were talking about gin, he mentioned that he had never tried Hendrick's. Then the discussion came up about doing a blind gin sampling night to see what our favorite will be. He is on vacation in Bristol right now & will be bringing back some gin's with him (or at least having them shipped home). Should prove to be an interesting evening.

Of course my close second would be Martin Miller's Westbourne Gin. Very refreshing, especially after an eight hour exam. ;)

Cheers!

Dan

univibe88

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
. Then the discussion came up about doing a blind gin sampling night to see what our favorite will be.

Great idea! Make sure to give us details after your sampling. It promises to be very eye opening.

rumblefish

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Saturday was a Hendrick's gin night. We had raspberry martinis.
Fill a shaker with ice.
Add
12 ounces Hendricks
1 ounce dry vermouth
3-5 ounces Torani Raspberry (depending on how raspberry tasting you want it)
Shake and serve in martini glass
Repeat. ;) :p
You got that to fit into a martini glass.:eek: :D

How are those Torani syrups? I never tried...

rumblefish said:
You got that to fit into a martini glass.:eek: :D

How are those Torani syrups? I never tried...

Not one martini glass!:rolleyes: It served three actually.:D
Torani is good as long as you get the right syrup. None of the imagined stuff they make like Rocky Road and the like are too good. :rolleyes: Regular fruit flavors are fine though---particularly peach, passionfruit, raspberry and pomegranate. :D

Lancealot

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Not one martini glass!:rolleyes: It served three actually.:D
Torani is good as long as you get the right syrup. None of the imagined stuff they make like Rocky Road and the like are too good. :rolleyes: Regular fruit flavors are fine though---particularly peach, passionfruit, raspberry and pomegranate. :D

I enjoy the Blood Orange myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats