Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gin Lovers Unite!

filfoster

One Too Many
Go slow, sloe gin

Medvssa said:
Has anybody tried both sloe gin and patxaran? I have never seen sloe gin for sale anywhere...

Anyway, both are made by steeping sloe berries in liquor, so I guess they will be at least vaguely similar. Even though the strong aniseed flavour of the anís used for patxaran must get in the way, I enjoy the sloe berry flavour, and it is probably more undisturbed in the sloe gin, am I correct?

Patxaran is also somewhat sweet (which also depends on the kind of anís used), but I read in Wikipedia that "Sugar is required to ensure that the sloe juices are extracted from the fruit", so perhaps there is not such a great difference in sweetness?
You should be grateful sloe gin isn't commercially available in Belgium. It is still sold here by unscrupulous liquor purveyors. Hiram Walker earns a special place in Hades for selling it here.

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
As I mentioned in the sloe gin thread, I don't like Gordons gin and prefer either Bombay Sapphire or Plymouth for cocktails or with Dubonnet. My very favourite gin for a good old fashioned G&T is Hendricks which to me has a very fresh flavour and is best served with a slice of cucumber as opposed to lemon or lime and Fentiman's tonic water, which is quite the nicest tonic I have ever had.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Try a Hendricks Martini

Missy Hellfire said:
... Hendricks which to me has a very fresh flavour and is best served with a slice of cucumber ...
... Made with four parts gin, one part Cointreau, and several sour pickle (half way between cucumber and a pickle) slices.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
John K Stetson said:
My current favorite gin is Bluecoat, distilled in Philadelphia. Beautiful botanicals, and I really like the citrus notes in addition to the blueberries.

http://www.bluecoatgin.com/index.htm

I've had this yes, in a very niche way, it seems quite popular here (a lot of Ginny people really like it). It does have quite a strong citrus flavour, I think I need to try it again. :)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
12 Bridges Gin

My wife just picked up three bottles of 12 Bridges Gin up on Portland, OR this weekend. She will be bringing it home tomorrow. I've been wanting to try this one out for a while now. She truly loves me.:)

spirits-integrity-1109-l.jpg

I suppose I'll need to go out and get some Fever Tree tonic to go with it. I'll give you my assessment after a couple of glasses. :)

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well folks the 12 Bridges Gin is a hit. It is a good blend of London Dry Gin & Danish Genever Gin. It is infused with cucumber & melon, just slightly so the fruit notes are in the background. Now, to my taste buds I picked up a note of a little brineyness, sort of like inhaling foggy sea air through your mouth on a really foggy day on the coats. This made me think that this particular gin would go well with sea food, so I tried it with red snapper tacos. Perfect!
The flavors are not too heavy on the botanicals & it is a very nice drink either straight or with tonic. I prefer Fever Tree as it doesn't seem to override the flavors of the gin.

I think my next go with Portland, Oregon Gins will be from Aviation & Rogue.

Cheers!

Dan

rumblefish

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
Well folks the 12 Bridges Gin is a hit. It is a good blend of London Dry Gin & Danish Genever Gin. It is infused with cucumber & melon, just slightly so the fruit notes are in the background. Now, to my taste buds I picked up a note of a little brineyness, sort of like inhaling foggy sea air through your mouth on a really foggy day on the coats. This made me think that this particular gin would go well with sea food, so I tried it with red snapper tacos. Perfect!
The flavors are not too heavy on the botanicals & it is a very nice drink either straight or with tonic. I prefer Fever Tree as it doesn't seem to override the flavors of the gin.

I think my next go with Portland, Oregon Gins will be from Aviation & Rogue.

Cheers!

Dan
I've been eyeballing that gin.
Interesting description- briny, foggy sea air. I've always had an impression of something I couldn't identify about Genever, that is it. Sounds good. How about with lime somehow?

grundie

One of the Regulars
I'm rather partial to Hendrick's and a brand from the Shetland Isles called Blackwoods. Both have very distinct flavours somewhat different from 'normal' gins.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
My heart belongs to Bombay Sapphire

... although a kind friend brought me some Tanqueray 10 last year, which was also lovely. Blackwoods is very nice for a change, although I don't often see it, and sloe gin is good when I want something a bit sweeter. And Fevertree tonic water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy