Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
kamikat said:
How long do your bras last?

I'm not the person to ask - I keep my bras way longer than I should lol

Now, I've notice that I have to keep adjusting the strap tighter, I have to wear the hooks on the last set, because the elastic doesn't seem to be as tight. I have 4, so I'm not wearing the same one every day. Is this typical will well-fitting underwires?

This is typical of all bras, underwire or not. The elastic will loosen up over time. That's why, when you buy a bra, you should make sure it fits on the *tightest* set of hooks, so you have room to move it as it stretches. If any saleswoman tells you (as one told me this weekend) that it should fit on the middle hooks, don't listen, because that's just plain incorrect. Also, this is why I won't ever buy front closure bras, because there's no way to adjust them as they stretch.

I guess it's also important to get refitted every once in awhile, since your size can change. The size I was wearing previously fit fine, and I didn't understand why all of a sudden they weren't fitting correctly. I lost weight, which probably explains it.

decodoll

Practically Family
LadyDeWinter said:
Has any of you gals seen a girdle in a size 36A. They never have A cups, they all start with a B cup???

There was one on Girdlebound that they had made for them in an A cup... I think only the 32 and 34 though. By the time I saw them, all the A's were sold out. :( You'd think this would maybe tell manufacturers that there is a demand for them! You can get a custom made one from Touchable. I have one that I got years ago and it is very nice, but not cheap.

decodoll

Practically Family
KittyT said:
This is typical of all bras, underwire or not. The elastic will loosen up over time. That's why, when you buy a bra, you should make sure it fits on the *tightest* set of hooks, so you have room to move it as it stretches. If any saleswoman tells you (as one told me this weekend) that it should fit on the middle hooks, don't listen, because that's just plain incorrect. Also, this is why I won't ever buy front closure bras, because there's no way to adjust them as they stretch.

I thought you were supposed to buy them to fit on the loosest hooks. This makes more sense since you could then tighten it as it stretches. If you buy it fitting on the tightest hooks, you've got no where to go but looser...

My straps always stretch out too. Those clear straps they have now are the worst for stretching out in no time at all.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
KamiKat, 3 months is 3 months, with normal wear and tear. However I have some that are older because I only use them on occasion. Shoot, I don't think anyone follows it, though. I actually need new ones.

KittyT, the only reason it said "the middle hook" is for weightloss or weight gain. I use to work for Frederick's (horrible job) and that was the idea behind it (with weight flunctuation happening within that 3 month frame, I guess? [huh] ). Personally, I found Frederick's bras, in particular, are very tight and do loosen up over time. The life of a bra is only supposed to be 3 months. That's with normal wear, of course. I have some that are older than that, only because I use them for certain occasions. I found that by the time 3 months came around, the bra was actually comfortable. :eusa_doh:

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
decodoll said:
I thought you were supposed to buy them to fit on the loosest hooks. This makes more sense since you could then tighten it as it stretches. If you buy it fitting on the tightest hooks, you've got no where to go but looser...

My straps always stretch out too. Those clear straps they have now are the worst for stretching out in no time at all.

I mistyped!! Thanks for the correction. Yes, the loosest hooks.

PS

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
Damn. This doesn't seem to even come in anything smaller than a 36 :(
:eek: i couldn't find it either, i had to order my sister size. i am typically a 34D but went with the 36C.
The Rago does some serious mishaping of my breasts. I hope this one is more kind.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PS said:
:eek: i couldn't find it either, i had to order my sister size. i am typically a 34D but went with the 36C.
The Rago does some serious mishaping of my breasts. I hope this one is more kind.

Yes please keep us posted, because the Rago definitely has cups that sit too low.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I have been to macy's ,nordstroms.. jc penny's , sears.. and I just cant seem to find something comfortable.. and so no luck so far.. and I will keep hunting for something comfortable and versitile..

And the search continues...

Mabey im just too stinkin picky about my bras.. lol lol :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LelaViavonie said:
I have been to macy's ,nordstroms.. jc penny's , sears.. and I just cant seem to find something comfortable.. and so no luck so far.. and I will keep hunting for something comfortable and versitile..

And the search continues...

Mabey im just too stinkin picky about my bras.. lol lol :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Have you been fitted? You could be wearing the wrong size.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
This is a GREAT suggestion! All my adult life, I've worn 42DD bras, that sagged to my knees because nothing else fit. Then I went to a very fancy shop downtown and the lady put me in a 36GG. For the first time in my life, the bras fit, feel comfortable and give me lift. Being professionally fitted made a HUGE difference.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lareesie Ladavi said:
KamiKat, 3 months is 3 months, with normal wear and tear. However I have some that are older because I only use them on occasion. Shoot, I don't think anyone follows it, though. I actually need new ones.
I had no idea the life expectancy was only 3 months. I guess in my size, when they have more work to do, I should keep to that rule.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
kamikat said:
This is a GREAT suggestion! All my adult life, I've worn 42DD bras, that sagged to my knees because nothing else fit. Then I went to a very fancy shop downtown and the lady put me in a 36GG. For the first time in my life, the bras fit, feel comfortable and give me lift. Being professionally fitted made a HUGE difference.

When I went in this weekend to get fitted at an old lady lingerie store, I was told I needed a 34B, not a 36B. Even something as seemingly insignificant as a single band size made a HUGE difference!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone here tried any of the following brands of corselettes?

Miss Mary brand corselette, no garters unfortunately, but they'd be easy enough to add.
807kf49050a.jpg

Silhouette corselette. No picture of the OB one, but it exists
007ct00201a.jpg

Silhouette suspenderless
106ct14601a.jpg

Silhouette corselette
005ct20601a.jpg

Miss Mary of Sweden
001ct04001a.jpg

Playtex Fits Beautifully corselette
003ct25901a.jpg

Unfortunately, none of these seem to be available in smaller than a 36 and that's downright annoying.

Berdita corselettes. These do come in 34s.
bdt30003.jpg

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
KittyT said:

I have.. and I was told that I was a 38C.. I now that I think of it.. that was before I lost 10 lbs... so I think I need to get fitted again.. cause my bra.. Hence.. i only have one left cause mine all TORE and BROKE ON ME>> :rage: :rage:

I think I will have to take some time to get measured again.. then try the bra shopping again! :)

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:

I highly suggest getting fitted at Nordies (or anywhere you can be properly fitted). I recently lost weight and none of my bras were fitting right and I went to go get fitted last week and it turns out I lost a cup size AND a back size, hence the bra shifting throughout the day.

I haven't found a corselette that didn't make my girls look funny, so after going over many options (And picking my mothers brain about what they wore when she was a teenager) I am going to by a long line bra with boning and and a couple of these garter panties:

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/onlineProductDisplay.vs?namespace=productDisplay&origin=onlineProductDisplay.jsp&event=display&prnbr=9E-226511&page=1&cgname=OSPTYGRTZZZ&rfnbr=5161

decisions decisions!!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RebeccaMUA said:
I highly suggest getting fitted at Nordies (or anywhere you can be properly fitted). I recently lost weight and none of my bras were fitting right and I went to go get fitted last week and it turns out I lost a cup size AND a back size, hence the bra shifting throughout the day.

I haven't found a corselette that didn't make my girls look funny, so after going over many options (And picking my mothers brain about what they wore when she was a teenager) I am going to by a long line bra with boning and and a couple of these garter panties:

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/onlineProductDisplay.vs?namespace=productDisplay&origin=onlineProductDisplay.jsp&event=display&prnbr=9E-226511&page=1&cgname=OSPTYGRTZZZ&rfnbr=5161

decisions decisions!!

Watch out on those VS panties. They look low-riding and probably don't actually work to cinch at all (if that's what you want).

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
I have tried the VS ones and they do not really provide any control whatsoever...they just look kinda swish. I don't think they are made to wear for long periods of time....if you get my meaning.... :)

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
MissAmelina said:
I have tried the VS ones and they do not really provide any control whatsoever...they just look kinda swish. I don't think they are made to wear for long periods of time....if you get my meaning.... :)

Haha! I do! I actually just need a little shaping at my waist and something to hold my thigh highs up that doesn't create bumps or lines or bulges.

And call me crazy, but I have an inane fear of having a full body corselette or something to that effect and having to make a mad dash to the ladies room and...well I am sure you can imagine lol

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
retrogirl1941 said:
Does anyone have the 1294? I ordered it last week from my lingirie store but, wanted personal reviews of it. I wanted something that was very controlled. Any reviews on it?

Samantha

This may be a bit late, but I own the 1294 in white and I think it's marvelous, as far as control and shaping go. The only problem I have is when I need to run to the ladies' room and I'm wearing stockings lol I haven't been wearing a girdle that long, so I guess I'll figure out the mechanics of things soon enough. Any other ladies have this problem? I've heard the suggestion of wearing the panties over he girdle, but this seems rather uncomfortable.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
RebeccaMUA said:
Haha! I do! I actually just need a little shaping at my waist and something to hold my thigh highs up that doesn't create bumps or lines or bulges.

Yeah, you don't want the VS ones. First off, they'll provide no support. They probably also have plastic garter clips, which are worthless. I would go for a Rago panty girdle. They have a light control one that is quite comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael