Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

girls in guy's garb

buler

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
lol lol lol Exactly, and since I wasn't dressing for any inaguration, I can take some liberties I reckon! :eek: lol lol

Wow, if this was a contest I'd say we have a winner.

Hadley, take all the liberties you'd like!

Bill

carter

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Women in Uniform

Female French Zouave circa 1898-1906
3229389415_c8810fa962.jpg

Imperial Vivandière Postcard dated 1929
3230249054_96174876b5.jpg

THE VIVANDIERES OF THE FRENCH ARMY
The vivandières of the French army have been popularised in England by the charming music of the "Figlia del Reggimento," with which most of our readers are no doubt perfectly familiar. The librettist has naturally depicted his heroine in the most sunny and romantic of her phases for the dramatic effects of his opera. He makes her ask=in teh most coquettish manner, it is true, but with the greatest aplomb-

What on the earth can equal the life
Pass'd in a regiment, free from all strife

This may be very pretty and poetical in imagination; but in the case of the rosy vivandière-as, indeed, in many others around which Peotry throws her agreeable halo-the reality is not always so delightfully "free from strife" as the Muse would lead us to suppose.
Every regiment of the French army possesses its cantinière or vivandière. She is called the cantinière when in occupation of her ordinary post as the mistress of the canteen, and vivandière when in the exercise of her functions on the parade or on the battle-field; and, whether in the one or the other capacity, her presence always operates beneficially on the conduct of teh soldiers, whose gallantry and respect for the beau sexe are notorious.

The post of the vivandière has of late years been always occupied by a married woman, generally the wife of some deserving non-commissioned officer of the regiment, who is responsible for her behaviour. Formerly, when this rule was not adopted, the female attendant to the wants of the regiment was considered to be under the general protection of the soldiers. Her office is now become more serious and more useful. In the canteen she is ever to be found at her peaceful employment; on the parade her pert strut and regular march, as she casts her eyes around to gather up the expressions of admiration which her appearance excites, may vie with the best of her comrades; on the march her presence at the head of the regiment animates and encourages the wearied troops; and on the battle-field she is the first to dress a wound or administer a reviving cordial. Honour, then, to the vivandière!

Our Engraving gives a very animated representation of a few of these useful women. On the side next to "The Road," where we see a regiment on the march, la vivandière en teêe, is the vivandière of the Zouaves, with her graceful costume; next to her the light-horse vivandière; and by side of "The Field," where she is seen seeking to allay thirst and suffering; is the vivandière of the ordinary Line infantry.

It sometimes happens that, in an excess of military ardour, the vivandières are carried away to the display of other qualities than those for which they were appointed. In the Crimean War they distinguished themselves on more than one occasion of emergency in the employment of the gun and sword; and recently, at Turbigo, in a moment of fury (if such a word can, consistantly with gallantry, be applied to a vivandière), one of them took up a gun and charged the enemy at the point of the bayonet. A severe wound in her leg was the result of her boldness, and she had to be conveyed to the hospital, where amputation of the limb was considered necessary. "Alas!" said she, "to that I will never submit. How should I be able to accompany my regiment?" The doctors left her to her fate; and we are happy to be able to add that she is fast recovering from her wound, and that her determination has preserved at the same time her position and her leg, to follow the army to other scenes more proundly that of yore, for the Emperor has presented her with the cross of the Legion of Honour.
~~"
The London Illustrated Times," August 6, 1859

http://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...&sigr=1171k094t&sigi=1131in75h&sigb=131h4796c

In the US, there were the Daughters of the regiment(s).
1900 cover of two-step march music

3230239942_46b90a2ced.jpg

1909 postcard
3229388999_d71245d46d.jpg

1914 postcard
3229388809_7bf247f881.jpg

Eva Morsikova

Familiar Face
carter said:
Spitfire, Great picture of a WWII Russian female sniper.

Quite a few Russian images here:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...&sigr=11tu0uu7e&sigi=116lgb9c8&sigb=1327ubrm2

Lyudmila Pavlichenko, legendary Russian female sniper, who killed more than 300 Nazis during WWII.
1547085449_e6c79e8357.jpg

Female sniper in the Resistance during WWII
441235808_3b02bac9bb.jpg
I love reading about the lady snipers. Not that I'm one of those OMGGIRLPOWER types, but I think that it was fascinating that the Russian army let women be snipers. on a slightly more gruesome note I just read that they let some be executioners at the gulags as well which actually surprised me. I can picture snipers but executioners? :p

Eva Morsikova

Familiar Face
BinkieBaumont said:
Marlene puts the "Naughty" in to "Nautical" with this little
Double breastsed number, unaware that by the end of WW2 every shop girl
and female factory worker would be wearing "Slacks"

I'm so glad that I'm taking a pattern drafting class. :D

Edward

Bartender
HoosierDaddy said:
Just found this thread last night...
Thought I'd type a response to HeavenlyHadley's wellputtogether posts...
....but my hands started shakin
Knees began a quakin....
Computor almost breakin...
It shook me all night long....
Frankly...I was Thunderstruck...

...and,honestly,I'm normally not near that sensative about girls in guy's garb.
HDddddd

Ac/DC, right? lol

yoonie

Familiar Face
Slim Portly said:
Hmmm... yes... uhmm...

Sorry, what now?

Women-Wearing-Fedoras.jpg

not to hijack the thread, but i don't think i can sleep until i find out who the woman in the bottom left is

Chas

One Too Many
The Russians went beyond female snipers, like an all-women's fighter regiment.

586iap.jpg

witches.jpg

They even had a husband and wife SP Gun team. Sometimes it's possible to work with your significant other and NOT go nuts. In fact, I think that it must have worked for them. They look quite happy.
ISU122_hubby_wifey_web.jpg

Baron Kern

New in Town
I dont much care for women in mensware, I mean a woman in a suit is acceptable if she is like a ceo or something that calls for it. Otherwise Id perfer a woman in a nice dress. Something about a woman in men's clothing just seems strange to me, same with men in women's clothing, It just seems odd to me.

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
someone mentioned the Audrey Tatou as Coco Chanel movie, but has anyone seen the Lifetime version with Barbara Bobulova? She looks amazing in the menswear bits of the movie - in the whole thing, really - she's at the top of my 'i wish i looked like _ in _ movie' list.
i can't find many shots from the movie online, this one's good, but nowhere near as amazing as her in the movie.

coco_etienne.jpg

i want more menswear inspired things. depression-era men/dust bowl/lower class sort of things... but i haven't a clue where to look!

Kadri

Familiar Face
Not exactly menswear...

...but inspired by.My tie does belong to my grandfather,though.
IMGP0001f-1.jpg

IMGP0002e-1.jpg

IMGP0026.jpg

I'm a dress-wearing girly girl at heart,but I always find a change quite nice.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
whistlebait said:
It really is a delicate balance. It's really too bad that there is so much stigma--thus limitation of a man's color choices here in the US. It seems like a reversal of past notions of dress, with women now having more choices than ever.

My stbx pulled off wearing a man's dress shirt and tie quite well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW