Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

girls in guy's garb

analiebe

A-List Customer
i know i've come in really late on this thread but just thought i'd mention that alongside a rather grand collection of dresses, skirts, blouses & other typically "feminine" clothing in my wardrobe also hangs a 30's styled tuxedo, several pairs of high-waisted 40's mens trousers, many a crisp white, french-cuffed shirt, several waistcoats and a wonderful early 40's mens trench... there are also, squirreled away in drawers, braces, ascots, hand painted silk ties, cufflinks & tie-bars... and one of my most prized possessions is my opas' old homburg... personally i find that dressing in my treasured "mens" attire makes me feel as much of a lady as when i wear a dress - not masculine at all, in fact ... and the response by both gents and ladies to such attire is always a positive one...

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Well - maybe not exactly guys garb. But it is my hat!:)

JesperSussi015.jpg

MsStabby

One of the Regulars
ThesFlishThngs said:
I was thinking a while back that I might like to experiment with some gent's clothing, but wondered if I might look either like I was channeling the 80's, or a lesbian.

Bump.

Me too. Any advise as to how to get started and what to look for?

I was thinking of starting in Goodwill or whatever, for shirts and ties in the men's section. But the fit issues: neck size, arms too long, hips in trousers, etc.

Does this call for a major investment in my seamstress's time, or is there another way to go about this? I know that Lauren has suits this year, but custom tailoring is far less expensive.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
There is a surprising number of classic menswear style design for a woman's shape, if you look diligently enough. I have a nicely tailored white Oxford shirt that fits much better than even a gent's off-the-rack small would. That, plus a necktie, plus some cuffed trousers would be a good start.
I lucked into a smallish sized Dior tailcoat, that I could pair with my top hat as the base for a Marlene look.
Braces (suspenders) have always tempted me, but there's that issue of making them work with a bosom....
If I put together any sort of look I'm halfway happy with, I'll share it here. I hope any one else will as well.

analiebe

A-List Customer
you're on lady! and i'll get my best friend andrew (make-up artist & photographer) to document it all!;) now if only i could find some dorothy shoes... 3 clicks & i & my wardrobe could descend upon you!!

ThesFlishThngs said:
Analiebe, I want to come play in your wardrobe! I'll bring my tail coat and top hats. ;)

analiebe

A-List Customer
if you're looking at a 30s/40s style then room for hips in trousers won't be an issue due to the cut... you may just find you need to have a simple waist reduction alteration done if you are small waisted...
and there are plenty of mens style womens tailored shirts out there...
if you're small busted then mens waistcoats won't be a big problem with fit either - if you're curvier then you may have to consider bust dart alterations but for a good alterationist this should be simple & not too costly

MsStabby said:
Bump.

Me too. Any advise as to how to get started and what to look for?

I was thinking of starting in Goodwill or whatever, for shirts and ties in the men's section. But the fit issues: neck size, arms too long, hips in trousers, etc.

Does this call for a major investment in my seamstress's time, or is there another way to go about this? I know that Lauren has suits this year, but custom tailoring is far less expensive.

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
I was just exploring the new collections on Ralph Lauren's site and came across these pictures that immediately reminded me of this thread:

girl_in_guys_garb_1.png

Notice the lady on the far right :)

girl_in_guys_garb_2.png

Very "man-tailored", Golden Era-inspired.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
My entry- The vintage 30s heavy wool and grosgrain ribbon trim tuxedo trousers are mine, bought some twenty years ago. I had them altered to fit me like a glove. The silk collapsible opera hat was a special gift given to me in the late 1980s after a memorable ADSC Art Deco Ball.

All other pieces are my husband's that I altered to fit; he wore these when we got married in 1993. The tux shirt sleeves were shortened 3", the tailcoat sleeves shortened 2-1/2", the vest waist was taken in. The suspenders are also vintage, and the pocket watch and chain.
377083484.jpg
377083440.jpg

377083294.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marlene...

...has met 'more than' her match! You, young lady, cut an absolute dash in that outfit. Quite the 'Bladette' in fact :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff