Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gloves: sizing, etiquette and all other stuff

ITG

Call Me a Cab
fortworthgal,
how long did you soak your hat? I have some gas mask bags I recently got and want to soak them in some oxyclean and water mixture in the sink. Also, how much oxyclean vs. water did you mix?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've got a shelf full of old Sears catalogs, and I still see a few pics of models wearing dress gloves with suits and dresses as late as 1966 -- but nowhere near as often as they were shown with gloves in 1955 or 1945.

White gloves were part of my full dress uniform in the Brownies in 1970-72 -- worn for marching in parades and such -- but they were pretty much out of common grown-up use by then, I think. I remember seeing them at church, but generally only on older ladies.

I'll wear dress gloves with suits if I'm also wearing a coat -- they're much classier and more appropriate for dressy occasions than the cheap nylon/gore-tex things people usually wear around here in the winter.

Rosie

One Too Many
I was thinking this not very long ago. I like that look, the idea of a lady wearing gloves is one of my favorites when it comes to vintage dressing. I've bought a few pair that I was thinking about wearing during the summer, not for special occasions but just as part of my ordinary dress but, I'll admit that I'm a bit afraid of the reaction I may get. :eek:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Rosie said:
I was thinking this not very long ago. I like that look, the idea of a lady wearing gloves is one of my favorites when it comes to vintage dressing. I've bought a few pair that I was thinking about wearing during the summer, not for special occasions but just as part of my ordinary dress but, I'll admit that I'm a bit afraid of the reaction I may get. :eek:

I just think it looks so elegant to wear them, and like a hanky, they can be used as props. I bet they'd look great on you, but yes, I know what you mean about people's reactions.

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
I Did On My Wedding Day...

116-1645_IMG.jpg

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Green Satin Gloves

I found a gown in a green satin type material that I will probably take to the QM. I want to get some matching gloves. Do any of you have a good website for long gloves (modern stuff is fine).

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
I've seen them on women in the 30's, as well, although maybe not as frequently compared to the following decades. But a few I found:

http://www.operagloves.com/Classic/30sCelebs/constancebennett-forearmlengthwhitegloves.jpg

http://www.operagloves.com/Classic/30sCelebs/helenhayes-oscar1932.jpg

http://www.operagloves.com/Classic/30sCelebs/kayfrancis-smokingwhitegloves.jpg

http://www.operagloves.com/Classic/30sCelebs/talabirell-fashion1930s.jpg

It seems like beige or other neutral shades were more popular then for daywear, which figures why most people these days associate white gloves with the 50's/60's.

Rosie

One Too Many
PrettySquareGal said:
I just think it looks so elegant to wear them, and like a hanky, they can be used as props. I bet they'd look great on you, but yes, I know what you mean about people's reactions.

Thanks PSG! Yes, white gloves and hankies, quintessential attire for a lady in my opinion. But, I can imagine the reaction of people. I already get the, "you always overdress" speeches and the "who do you think you are?" looks. Add gloves to the mix and ... who knows.

Vintage Jess, You look great, I the color of your suit compliments you so well.

Etienne

A-List Customer
I LOVE gloves and wear them, at this time, only for church and going out for brunch afterward. But as I am gradually tweaking my wardrobe, I will wear them more. I, for one, love the deep color gloves, worn with suits and 40's hats. I am tall and have quite contrasting coloring so I love classy, striking clothing--nothing demure for me. So gloves and hats and the right shoes just complete the picture! I am really careful with my selections so that I won't look "costumey"--just pulled-together and feminine. Hold your head high and wear your clothes (and gloves!) with confidence--and smile! (And it doesn't hurt that my husband LOVES the look! Last week he took my arm in his and said, "I am so proud to have you for my wife; you look beautiful!" Not bad for an old couple!)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
There are many sites that have gloves, but I can't post links without violating policy (nudity).

You can try Trashy Lingerie in Los Angeles, they have lots of glove colors, and they have a website too.

Also LaCrasia Gloves in NY, might be able to help you out. Also Finale Gloves has Emerald and Hunter.

Matching the color might be a problem, and I am not sure dyeing is a good idea.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Etienne said:
(And it doesn't hurt that my husband LOVES the look! Last week he took my arm in his and said, "I am so proud to have you for my wife; you look beautiful!" Not bad for an old couple!)

*wiping tear* That's so romantic!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
VintageJess- My husband wore white gloves to our reception, because he wore his dress blues and stole the show! :( That uniform always does.

However, I have proof he still adores me. Picture this:

Husband seated comfortably, watching TV or reading.

PSG at computer, upstairs: "Hey! I won this really cute hanky on ebay! Wanna see it??"

Mr. PSG, sighing. "Yes, let me see."

heh

jonniangel

One of the Regulars
Vintage Jess - beautiful wedding picture! I love your suit and pillbox hat. <sigh> I'm a sucker for weddings!

I wore gloves to my brother's wedding (along with the cutest little 20's inspired dress, I still love it) and 18 years later my sister in law still mentions how cool she thought that was. Luckily it took her mind off the lime green golf pants my other brother wore. :eusa_doh:

Rosie

One Too Many
Etienne said:
(And it doesn't hurt that my husband LOVES the look! Last week he took my arm in his and said, "I am so proud to have you for my wife; you look beautiful!" Not bad for an old couple!)

Awwww, this is totally of topic but, I want that. I'd love to find THAT guy.

What a lucky lady you are Etienne. ;)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Tourbillion said:
There are many sites that have gloves, but I can't post links without violating policy (nudity).

You can try Trashy Lingerie in Los Angeles, they have lots of glove colors, and they have a website too.

Also LaCrasia Gloves in NY, might be able to help you out. Also Finale Gloves has Emerald and Hunter.

Matching the color might be a problem, and I am not sure dyeing is a good idea.
If you have any links which you think might be touchy on whether to post or not you can PM them. I'll see if I can google the places you listed above. Thanks!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I sent you a pm with my gloves links, there are a lot of places even more trashy than trashy lingerie.

(It is from a fetish site)

Good luck with the gloves!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic