Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goat leather. How to get it washed?

andpgud

New in Town
Hello.
I bought a goat leather jacket and I find it rather hard and heavy. It is also quite grainy.
How could I get this kind of effect on it?
I have searched the web and cannt find anything.

This is how my jacket looks now

I want to get this kind of finish

Feraud

Bartender
I don't believe you are going to be able to make the leather less grainy. The grain is inherent in the type of leather and the tanning/finishing processes. Your best bet may be selling the goat and purchasing a jacket with the grain you want.

Others with more experience may have other advice.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The gran is part of the character of goatskin. Washing the leather will bring out more grain. Your best bet is to sell the jacket and buy another.

aswatland

It does not appear to particularly shiny in the photos. Wearing it heavily will reduce the shine. It looks fine to me.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You want to know how to get rid of the grain, the shine and now stretch this jacket. To me, it sounds as if you'd be better off selling and starting again.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
All leather will stretch. How much do you want to stretch the leather because the fit looks fine?

As Andrew says all leather will stretch slightly.

Your jacket is goat so it has a fairly pronounced grain - there's nothing you can do about that. Actually it's a really good thing. Goatskin has a lovely grain and is also one of the most hard wearing leathers. Be happy with that.

All leather has a certain "shine" when new. If you want to dull that down, wear it, wear it often and wear it hard. One of the joys of having a leather jacket is breaking it in. Wear it often and it will look better and better.

Fit-wise, your jacket is an excellent fit.

So to sum up, stop worrying and wear it. The more you wear it the better it will get.

ProteinNerd

Goat is never going to look like the leather on the other jacket you posted. Either learn to love it or you are better off selling and buying something else.

If there is something I've learned from this obsession, its that if there is something with the jacket that bugs you, no matter how much it cost or how high quality it is, you are better off selling it and getting what you really want. Its better to lose a bit in the selling re-buyng process and end up with something you will wear than having a very expensive jacket live in the closet. Thats a bigger waste of money imo.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
If there is something I've learned from this obsession, its that if there is something with the jacket that bugs you, no matter how much it cost or how high quality it is, you are better off selling it and getting what you really want. Its better to lose a bit in the selling re-buyng process and end up with something you will wear than having a very expensive jacket live in the closet. Thats a bigger waste of money imo.

I agree 100%. If I get a jacket and there is just something about it that doesn't seem right; then every time I put that jacket on, my eyes will zero right in on the "fault" - even if the fault is barely noticeable.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I agree 100%. If I get a jacket and there is just something about it that doesn't seem right; then every time I put that jacket on, my eyes will zero right in on the "fault" - even if the fault is barely noticeable.

+1 it's like Lady Macbeth and her 'spot' of blood.

andpgud

New in Town
Jacket is for sale and I got me one of those

691980923_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR