Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goatskin. What's the skinny?

Looking for some info about the hide. I know langlitz is a huge proponent. Just wondering how it compares to leathers I'm familiar with, comp weight, Horween CXL etc...considering it for next jacket but having never handled it I'm a bit concerned it may not have the heft/angry nature I desire. Also wondering how it handles weather abuse, sun, rain etc. Please share!

Tony

pawineguy

One Too Many
Handles the weather better than any of the other leather options, oz for oz it seems to be the toughest. I couldn't even put a surface scratch into goatskin jackets that I've owned. Surface is a uniform, slightly pebbled appearance, so you don't typically get the large graining you see on horse and steer. If it's in the 3 oz plus range like Langlitz and Aero uses it will be very, very tough.

Handles the weather better than any of the other leather options, oz for oz it seems to be the toughest. I couldn't even put a surface scratch into goatskin jackets that I've owned. Surface is a uniform, slightly pebbled appearance, so you don't typically get the large graining you see on horse and steer. If it's in the 3 oz plus range like Langlitz and Aero uses it will be very, very tough.
Interesting! How about the weight/ease of wear? I've always heard it felt lighter and easier to wear and move in. Would you agree? Does it stretch?

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've never owned goat and cannot speak to its unique qualities. That said, JC was wearing a goat A2 at Inspiration that was out of this world -- an amazing hide. Likewise, Himel had a few goat jackets that were stellar. I am considering goat for my forthcoming GW Modac.

bwchase

Familiar Face
Almost no break in time, supple and drapes very well, even new. Have a Langlitz jacket and vest, several other brand A2's and G1 variants in goat skin, all wear well. My favorite leather over all, but still like horsehide too.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Interesting! How about the weight/ease of wear? I've always heard it felt lighter and easier to wear and move in. Would you agree? Does it stretch?

Not sure that I would say that it stretches (although it might), but it's extremely comfortable and flexible and as others have noted, it really doesn't require any break-in time. Certainly the easiest leather to wear, wears like lambskin but lasts like iron.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For what it's worth for d'jembe drums goatskin heads are the most common. They stretch more than cowhide and aren't quite as durable. They're used in making the drums more often due to more availability and ease of use. A drummer friend of mine likes cowhide for a hard played drum as it holds up to abuse longer but it's harder to work than goat. There are sound differences as well but I doubt that would have any bearing on leather choice for a jacket.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I prefer goat. It varies a lot, like any other hide. At it's thickest it is about 2.5 oz. It's more abrasion resistant and watertight than other hides ( except kangaroo) and is lighter. It can still be pretty tough to break in. I had an Al goat that took over a year to get comfortable.

Peacoat

Bartender
For me the downside of goat, and it may be a plus for many, is that even after years of wear, it seldom develops patina. In fact, it still looks new after years of use. I have a 1962 issue G-1 that has plenty of grain after all of these years, but no wear is showing. Same thing with a German police jacket--no patina, even though it has some age to it.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
As others have mentioned goat is great for wet weather, very durable without feeling like armor. It's definitely more a medium weight and softer from the get go compared to Aero's FQHH.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
An Ode to a Goat:

One may assume
The old goat has no skin in the game
Compared to the accolades of the horse
It sits rather lame
But go with the goat,
As the Navy boys say
As they proudly wear their G-1,
Or their M-422a

It may not be stiff
Or gain immediate or eventual patina
But don't dismiss the goat
For unlike the wild horse,
the goat will never run off and leave ya.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
I've owned two goat Lost World Raiders in the seal black color finish.
Leather is supple and looks great, though it has less figure than horse.

I owned one I bought new a dozen years ago, then another older one (?) I traded the former for.

The 12 year old one was very supple, not a lot of grain, great.
The 15 year old or older (guessing), also in seal, had quite some patina: some abrasions along the edges and the leather was not quite as supple, appears to have dried out a little. Sleeves were shorter too. This is why I think this one was older, as I perceive sleeves to be a little longer nowadays...

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I am a fan of the Goat, at least my own Goats. I just got another for my Vintage Herd. Looking at the vintage Goats will give you an idea of wear and what can be done with goat. the Vintage Goats can get pretty fancy with 1930s Hollywood style. These jackets just feel like another skin, they conform, move and breath better than other leathers. I would say they are very durable. Very nice for a moderate climate. The pebbled grains is like pixels, all the dots reflecting light.

I'm hoping to have a custom made Goat. I have seen the hides and finished product and they are suburb.

I just updated this thread. with a new old Goat.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Looking for some info about the hide. I know langlitz is a huge proponent. Just wondering how it compares to leathers I'm familiar with, comp weight, Horween CXL etc...considering it for next jacket but having never handled it I'm a bit concerned it may not have the heft/angry nature I desire. Also wondering how it handles weather abuse, sun, rain etc. Please share!

Tony

As the others said. If you want to handle it you can ask for some swatches. I’ve had some quite stiff goat and some very soft so it does vary from tannery to tannery. SB had some lovely soft Italian vegetable tanned goat in black which I have a jacket made of a few years ago, but I think they may be out of it. It’s one of those hides you either love or hate. But it’s very easy to wear.

Thanks for all the info. I've promised myself I'm getting back to my bike this summer and I'm thinking goat hide is going to be the way to go for a summer weight riding jacket.

For me the downside of goat, and it may be a plus for many, is that even after years of wear, it seldom develops patina. In fact, it still looks new after years of use. I have a 1962 issue G-1 that has plenty of grain after all of these years, but no wear is showing. Same thing with a German police jacket--no patina, even though it has some age to it.
That's interesting too. From the pics I've seen of the hide I can see what you mean.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I can only say about my own goat jacket since I have no other experience,
supple and strong, a bit stretchy, doesn't really create/ hold wrinkle all that much , develop stretch marks (vertical streaks) overtime (along my sleeves), naturally water repelling, and when wet it is fast drying too, and the rough side is velvet like on mine, I like it, can't say about patina yet (only 8 months old)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My Cooper G-1 and G&B Expedition jackets are both made with chrome tanned goatskin and are flexible, lightweight, and still look like new. My Aero Pioneer and Maxwell are veg tanned goatskin, and are heavier weight than the Cooper and G&B. The Aero veg tanned goatskin is very flexible, drapes well, looks great, is water resistant, and shows very little evidence of wear. G&B does make a "historic" Model 31 A-2 with veg tanned goatskin that looks and feels identical to Aero's and probably Langlitz's too, although I have never seen a Langlitz's. Must be a good reason though why Langlitz's goatskin is so popular with riders.

Edward

Bartender
Goat is supposed to be one of the most abrasion-resistant hides, which is why some like it for an mc for the warmer weather. I've owned a few jackets in goat: one A2, one AN6552 - both Aero - and one Wested Raiders. That A2 gets worn a lot - my ELC (horse) no longer does. The goat does stay 'tidy' looking longer; as Peacoat notes, if you want a jacket that shows real break in, goat won't do it, but it does look and feel great. It's noe of my favourites. The new veg-tanned goat Aero have is fantastic stuff - had I not seen the Horween Bison, that's what my Dustbowl would have been. I already have my eye on a couple of jackets in that goat in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo