Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going vintage from a shaved head...

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
hi all :) in march this year I'm shaving my head to raise money for a cancer charity and I was wondering if you had any advice on the best way to grow your hair out from that. Ill probably get a no. 3 or 4 buzz cut to start with and I've not had short hair since I was a kid, i think the shortest I've had it would be shoulder length, so it's a little bit daunting. I know there are quite a few threads on here about how to do vintage with short hair but does anyone here have hair shorter than, say, a pixie? Or has anyone gone all the way from a shaved head back to long hair before? I'm pretty excited at the opportunity to try more bobbed styles or the shorter 1930s styles when it's a little shorter but I'm just not sure of the process of cutting it the best way or anything like that as I go so that I can make the most of it. Amy hair at the moment is pretty thick and straight but I've heard of people shaving their head and having it grow back completely differently so I guess we'll see if that's a factor as well.

Thanks everyone :)

Alsek

New in Town
Hair tends to grow in differently as a result of different nutrition, though. If you eat significantly differently than you did before it might be a problem. Just for an example, i don't think it's uncommon for people going through chemo to change their diet because, "I should make better health choices," and when their hair grows back in it's different.

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
Oh ok I didn't know that :) well i'm a vegetarian now and i'm lacose intolerant which has only been diagnosed for a couple of years so I suppose it could well grow back differently - it'll be interesting to see :) thanks :)

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
Use these 3 pictures (in order) as hair goals. You can't do much until your hair is long enough to style like picture 2. Once your hair is longer than the 3rd one, you can grow it into a different style.
adeyn_GL_1sep11_pa.jpg

Super_Short_Hairstyles_For_Women5.gif

3097d1234892372-fingerwaves-halle-finger-waves.jpg

geekgirl

New in Town
Something to consider while you are growing out your hair from a buzz cut, is hats.

Spend the time while your hair grows investing in some cute vintage or vintage style hats. They're perfect for adding a little vintage oomph when you don't have the hair to style. The best part is that you can keep wearing them even after your hair grows back. It's double the options! Styled, styled with a hat, just a hat & hide the hair (or leave just a little bit out on those stubborn hair days).

I started collecting vintage hats when I had dreadlocks because I could put my hair in a snood, add a hat & look "vintage" without anyone knowing what my hair actually looked like. I even had people who knew me for years without knowing I had dreads!

Chole

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
In vintage times women didn't have shaved heads.

Having said that you are shaving your head for a good cause.:eusa_clap

Hats, scarf, etc.... that's all I can honestly recommend to you until your hair grows.

atomik_momma

New in Town
Just wanted to say that I've gone quite short like that several times and it is a bear to grow out. Actually right now I'm in the process of growing out a very short pixie cut, but I have shaved it all off a few times as well. I like to wear bandanas or pretty scarves tied either the classic Rosie the Riveter type way, or in more of a turban style. Now that the sides of my hair are a couple inches long, I like to clip in a hair flower now and then. Flat ones tend to look best on me. I get the most mileage out of my pretty ivory magnolia. Lays nice and flat against the head. I'll probably invest in some flat orchids to clip in once the weather starts to warm up.

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
Thanks everyone :) I know it'll be a pain to grow out but it's definitely worth it :) i have quite a few scarves but I think this is an excellent excuse to get more hair flowers and hats!

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
I actually just shaved my head. Not for any reason other than I was sick of the black and wanted to grow out natural for awhile. Its been a few weeks and I'm now rocking a poofy 1/2" or so of hair. lol.

What I use a lot is wigs! Easy to curl and easy to throw on for the day. Plus no sleeping in rollers! :D
I get the majority of mine from Ebay. Shipped from Hong Kong they're usually pretty cheap and since I'm not planning on wearing them for more than a few months the quality isn't bad. Especially the heat resistant ones.

Other than that I've just been wearing scarves or nothing. But going without doesn't bother me too much. Though I will say it doesn't "look" perfect since, well, no hair to curl and put flowers in. But it'll be back soon enough though.

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
Awesome, I had been thinking of wigs but I hadn't looked at ebay so i'll check it out :) thanks :) and i'm sure you look lovely! I agreed to dye my hair different colours before the big shave and now it's fried and it definitely needs to grow out naturally haha :)

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
I thought I would add a picture of the wig I have in heaviest rotation. Basically I just cut in bangs and curled it using foam rollers and boiling water. Its not perfect but I think it works for vintage looks.

Sorry its so blurry, stupid self timers!

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
I say just rock the shaved head with vintage clothing and makeup. I currently have a 6" or so mohawk with the sides shaved down to a 0 on the clippers. I still rock the vintage style dresses and the hawk up or down. I think it's a good time. The thing is, we have the luxury of mixing styles so why not play around with it?

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I don't know if this was mentioned already, but while you are under the 1 inch mark, a headband with a flower or any other fun accessory attached to its side may be a fun way to accessorize your hair when you can't clip anything just yet. Also, berets will look smashing with the short short hair, in my opinion. Once it gets to about 1 inch in length, pin curls will be an excellent way to fake extra body and style, especially if you use the standing pin curls technique. Good luck and keep us posted with pictures! It would be a wonderful way to make suggestions to other gals doing the great thing you are!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pineapple- I want to thank you personally for what you're doing.

I've found this thread to be very useful- I'll be having to shave my hair in about a month (I think) and knowing some ways I can still be stylish (without necessarily wearing a wig) has been great inspiration. Thanks everybody!

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
Good thinking with headbands! I hadn't really thought about that.

I'll add that berets are a great idea too. I wear those a lot. Especially now that I have a bit of hair.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Christi - that wig is awesome! I would love to shave my head just to start afresh but it just wouldn't suit my chubby little face!

I'd love to see photos of your shaven heads ladies. Please share!

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
Christi - that wig is awesome! I would love to shave my head just to start afresh but it just wouldn't suit my chubby little face!

I'd love to see photos of your shaven heads ladies. Please share!

Aw thanks! I'm loving it too, easiest way to be a blonde :D

So I'll bite and post a pic. This is wigless, with glasses and no makeup (ok let's be real, mascara, but that's pretty much a permanent fixture). Which is how I've been rocking it the past few weeks.
Its so great to not have to worry about makeup everyday like I did with the black hair!

This is about a month and a half after shaving it- poof central:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21