Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gold Cufflinks + Silver Watch Case

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Long story short I blew my watch money on another silver cased model, not remembering that I had just bought a pair of gold cufflinks. Can they be worn together? The case is solid silver (well, silver colored metal) and the cufflinks are solid gold (genuine.)

cufflinkmaniac said:
Long story short I blew my watch money on another silver cased model, not remembering that I had just bought a pair of gold cufflinks. Can they be worn together? The case is solid silver (well, silver colored metal) and the cufflinks are solid gold (genuine.)

We need pictures to make a well informed judgement. ;)
However, are we talking about a wristwatch or a pocketwatch here? Wristwatch would be closer to the cufflinks so the contrast would be more obvious but I could see doing it in a pinch. I might have done it once or twice before. :)

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
We need pictures to make a well informed judgement. ;)
However, are we talking about a wristwatch or a pocketwatch here? Wristwatch would be closer to the cufflinks so the contrast would be more obvious but I could see doing it in a pinch. I might have done it once or twice before. :)

Wristwatch. Pictures will come Monday.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Depends on your views of mixed metals, me personally? It would drive me loopy. On you? it may be fine.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I personally prefer to match my jewelry, but I've seen people pull it off just fine. If you like, do what I do sometimes and get one "centerpiece" item (usually a watch for me) that has both silver and gold in it. Then you can wear items of each without worry, as the centerpiece will tie them together.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
MisterGrey said:
I personally prefer to match my jewelry, but I've seen people pull it off just fine. If you like, do what I do sometimes and get one "centerpiece" item (usually a watch for me) that has both silver and gold in it. Then you can wear items of each without worry, as the centerpiece will tie them together.

I have two with gold and silver, but the one has a metal band and the other is too thick to be worn with double cufffs. I've looked at it, and I kind of like the contrast.

Geesie

Practically Family
My watch is usually not visible so I just don't care. I'm not buying another watch just so it can match.

JEEP

Practically Family
Here's the basic "rules" I follow:

- If the case of the watch is gold, then cufflinks and tiebar must be gold aswell
- I the case og the watch is silver/steel, then cufflinks and tiebar must be silver
- A watch with a silver/steel case, but with gold houermarkings and hands on the dial can be worn together with gold cufflinks and tiebar, if it looks good
- If the watch has a leatherband, it must match the colour and texture og the belt and shoes
- If the watch has a metal bracelet it must match the material of the case of the watch (never mix a silver/steel bracelet with a gold watch and vice versa)
- The metal of the cufflinks and tiebar must always match
- It is preferable that the metal of the belt buckle matches the rest of the metal

Examples:

Nytr08.jpg

This 1950/51 Omega can easily be worn with both silver and gold cufflinks and tiebar - and must be worn with black belt and black shoes

30s_guld_omega.jpg

This 1938 solid gold Omega must be worn with gold cufflinks and tiebar - the shoes and belt must be chocolate brown (but not nessacerily in snakeskin)

Seamaster_Cosmic_01_01.jpg

This 1970's Omega Seamaster Cosmic must be worn with silver cufflinks and tiebar - due to the watch being fittet with a bracelet the choice of shoes and belt are more free, as long as they match each other

Officer_Suvern02.jpg

These two Swedish military veterans, a 1938 Omega Officer and a 1945 Omega Suverän, should probably only be worn with casual wear, but if worn with formal attire they should only be worn with silver cufflinks and tiebar - rember to match shoes and bands

Regards.

Jakob

Edward

Bartender
I'm anoyher matcher. I also like to run with gold tones for day wear and silver for eveing, as and where possible / practical. I'm trying to get my anally retentive side to not take it as far as matching with blazer buttons.... lol But that said, it's really up to the individual - can you live with it?

MisterGrey said:

This is a great idea, IMO. Anything that I would be likely only to have or want one of (say, a wedding ring) I would go looking for a two-tone variant on.

El Erico

New in Town
JEEP said:
Here's the basic "rules" I follow:

- If the case of the watch is gold, then cufflinks and tiebar must be gold as well
- If the case log the watch is silver/steel, then cufflinks and tiebar must be silver
- A watch with a silver/steel case, but with gold houermarkings and hands on the dial can be worn together with gold cufflinks and tiebar, if it looks good
- If the watch has a leatherband, it must match the colour and texture of the belt and shoes
- If the watch has a metal bracelet it must match the material of the case of the watch (never mix a silver/steel bracelet with a gold watch and vice versa)
- The metal of the cufflinks and tiebar must always match
- It is preferable that the metal of the belt buckle matches the rest of the metal

Cheers Jeep! I agree 100%...

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
If the watch has a black face and the strap is a dark brown leather then its OK but if it has metal strap it might look dodgy.Just as an aside divers watches which are often supplied with metal or black rubber straps always look good on brown leather straps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy