Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Age Actor dies and No-One at FL Notices!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Rip Bruce Bennet aka Herman Brix.

bruce-bennett-1-sized.jpg

Obituary

Bruce Bennett

Athlete chosen by the author to play Tarzan

Ronald Bergan
Tuesday April 17, 2007
The Guardian

Bruce Bennett, who has died aged 100, was, as Herman Brix, an Olympic shot-putter and screen Tarzan, and, as Bennett, he was a stolid, lanky supporting actor of the 1940s and 1950s.
Born in Tacoma, Washington, Brix was the son of the owner of a couple of logging camps and the young Herman built up his physique carrying logs. Seven years after winning a shot put silver medal at the 1928 Amsterdam Olympics , the 6ft 2in Brix was picked by Edgar Rice Burroughs to star in the author's The New Adventures of Tarzan.

But MGM, whose own Tarzan series starred another Olympic champ, swimmer Johnny Weissmuller, blocked it out of most theatres and the Brix film, while it was the only talking picture until the 1960s to present the character accurately as a sophisticated polyglot English nobleman, also featured pathetic battles with stuffed lions, and lifeless acting.
Brix had already appeared as Hercules, a college rower, in the Jimmy Durante comedy Student Tour (1935), and went on to become the hero of cherishable 12-episode kiddie matinee serials in which wooden acting hardly mattered. In Shadow of Chinatown (1936), Brix battled mad Oriental scientist Bela Lugosi; in Hawk of the Wilderness (1938), he was a "white savage" reared by natives who saves his people from a witchdoctor; in The Fighting Devil Dogs (1938) he was a marine tracking down a master criminal, and in Daredevils of the Red Circle (1939), he was a circus performer hunting a dangerous lunatic.

He then took acting lessons, changed his name to Bruce Bennett, signed with Columbia and returned to the screen in 1940 in a suit and hat. That year he made four B pictures - two with Boris Karloff, The Man With Nine Lives and Before I Hang - and as the lead in The Secret Seven, he was a former crook who forms a secret society of forensic scientists. Bennett was the handsome but dour hero of further competent B pictures, including three movies in which he tracked down Nazi agents: Underground Agent and Sabotage Squad (both 1942), and U-Boat Prisoner (1944). In 1945, Bennett moved on to Warner Bros where he appeared in more prestigious films in good supporting roles.

Bennett brought dignity to the role of Joan Crawford's first husband in Mildred Pierce (1945), restraining himself from punching his successor, no-good playboy Zachary Scott. There followed three pictures in which he lent dullish support to three of Warners other "sacred monsters": Bette Davis in A Stolen Life (1946), Ida Lupino in The Man I Love (1947) and Ann Sheridan in Nora Prentiss (1947). He was again lumbered with thankless "other man" roles in Dark Passage (1947), starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, and in the western Silver River (1948) where Errol Flynn in love with Bennett's wife (Ann Sheridan), sends him out on a fatal mission. But Bennett was good as a doggerel-spouting robber in Raoul Walsh's Cheyenne (1947), and as the wandering Texan prospector in John Huston's The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948).

Freelancing during the next decade, he was Joan Crawford's lawyer in Sudden Fear (1952), warning her against her husband Jack Palance, and, looking elegant in the saddle featured in westerns like The Younger Brothers (1949), The Last Outpost (1951), where he played Ronald Reagan's brother, and Three Violent People (1957).

Towards the end of his film career Bennett returned to the kind of stories that Herman Brix had handled in the 1930s. In The Alligator People (1959), he portrayed a doctor who operates on scaly-skinned Lon Chaney Jr, cutting off the reptile man's tail to get him into a pair of trousers. Bennett then co-wrote The Fiend of Dope Island (1961), starring as a dictatorial self-proclaimed baron of a Caribbean island, living off blackmarket arms and marijuana. After retiring from films, Bennett became a sales manager of a vending machine company, and went into real estate.

Bennett's wife died in 2000. He is survived by two children.

¬? Bruce Bennett (Herman Brix), film actor, born May 19 1906; died February 24 2007

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well 'you' noticed :)

You noticed and brought it to our attention, so well done 'you!':) There'll be a lot of people here glad that you picked up on this news.

It only takes 'one' of us (you in this case) to spot something of vintage interest/importance and post it on the Lounge for all to see.

Thanks for flagging that up Jake so that we can all be aware of any Golden Age star who has passed away.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I don't read the obituaries, so if a death isn't front page/CNN material there's a good chance it'll get past me. That is, until I check the Fedora Lounge Gazette. ;)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
You noticed and brought it to our attention, so well done 'you!':) There'll be a lot of people here glad that you picked up on this news.

It only takes 'one' of us (you in this case) to spot something of vintage interest/importance and post it on the Lounge for all to see.

Thanks for flagging that up Jake so that we can all be aware of any Golden Age star who has passed away.

But I didn't notice! They guy died in February and it slipped right past me. He was in one of my favourite serials - Daredevils of the Red Circle - and he was in Mildred Pierce, which was the subject of another thread and which led me to look up Mr. Bennet...

An olympian to boot!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Thanks from me also for pointing that out. I've seen a few of those listed and will keep an eye out for some of the others.
Despite the fact that the author listed "The Alligator People" and forgot "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" I'd say that the obituary is one of the best I've read for any actor,B or otherwise. It seems as if the author might be something of a fan.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Sefton said:
Don't worry about it. I had a run of obit postings for a while and nobody here started calling me "Dr.Death". Of course nobody here has seen what's in my basement...:whistling

lol lol

Feraud

Bartender
Bennett had a very distinct voice.

A movie not mentioned in the obituary is a little film called Mystery Street (1950).
This fine film is a very early version of the common forensic "whodunit" CSI:Everywhere programs that litter the television airwaves.
The film stars Riccardo Montalban as a police inspector who attempts to solve a murder with only a skeleton as evidence. Bennett play "Dr. MacAdoo".
Elsa Lanchester turns in a good performance as a busy body landlord.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I had just watched him in a delightful little "B" movie called I'm From Arkansas (1944) and then saw the news on another message board a few weeks ago. It always upsets me when someone from the Golden Era that I didn't even know was still alive dies.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
All gone

Almost all the film stars from the the Golden Age are dead, aren't they? Only a few are still with us (golden age for me = stars who were already famous in the 1930s [huh] )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay