Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Age Honolulu: 1920s-50s

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I have already posted these photos in my "Demise of the Summer Suit" thread, but I felt that people who don't frequent the Suits forum might be interested in some Golden Age photos of Honolulu from the 1920s-50s.

1920s:

Bunch of dapper gents in blazers in front of 'Iolani Palace:

367114087.jpg

The crocodile himself, Averil Harriman and business tycoon Walter Dillingham inspecting the railroad:

367114091.jpg

1930s:

Territorial Gov. Judd 1930s:

367114089.jpg

Gov. Poindexter and Dillingham speaking about inter-island travel in 1934

367114095.jpg

A dapper gent and his 1935 Chevy:

367114093.jpg

Crowd waiting for results during Massie Trial in 1932:

massiecrowd.jpg

Massie jury:

massiejury.jpg

Prosecutor John Kelly

Kelley.JPG

Honolulu Chamber of Commerce 1940s:

image_preview

Flying United Airlines to Hawaii 1950s:

367114133.jpg

DecoDahlia

Familiar Face
Great photos, Chasseur! Since my maternal family's roots are in Hawaii, it was a treat to see the photos you posted. The Massie trial photos were interesting, as I've only seen smaller versions in the book, Hawaii Scandal, by Cobey Black, about the Massie trial. Hard to imagine any man wearing a suit in Hawaii now!

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
DecoDarling,

Thanks!

Yeah, its shocking to see the difference between all the suits and ties then, and now the lack of them. The funny thing (that I posted in the summer suit thread) is that there is a slight suit come back the past few years, but its all dark wool suits!

I plan to post photos of Golden Age buildings soon. Downtown Honolulu has some great historic buildlings.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Agreed. Everytime I see vintage travel pictures, whether for planes, trains or ships, it reminds how "far we've come" since then...

mbutler50

New in Town
Searching for a Honolulu mystery

I'm searching for a mystery based in Honolulu on the eve of the Pearl Harbor attack. Came out in paperback sometime during the nineties. Begins with a cab ride.

I know that's not much to go on, but perhaps someone's read it. I had the mystery, began it, put it down, and have never gotten back to it. Now I want to.

And thanks for these wonderful pictures.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Chasseur said:
Agreed. Everytime I see vintage travel pictures, whether for planes, trains or ships, it reminds how "far we've come" since then...

I believe you mean, "how far we've fallen."

I dislike flying. I'm not scared it, I just find it enormously unpleasant. But flying like that? I could do, and would as often as the budget would allow.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I agree with you completely, modern flying is rather depressing... I do it farly often, but most of the time its not particularly enjoyable in this day and age...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo