Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Aircraft

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
I'm a reporter/photographer and this summer I got to experience the media day at the local air show. I love flying and aspire to get my license some day, so couple that with my love of vintage and I was the happiest girl in the world! Plus, it was also a week before my birthday AND I got paid to do it.
I was up in a homemade rocket plane (not vintage) but there were lots of vintage crafts up in the air:
AirShow_2177.jpg

The Harvard T6, the Yak-18T and the 1951 Dehavilland. (Laurie Callsen/ QMI Agency)

AirShow_2151.jpg

Warren Pietsch and his P-51 Mustang "Dakota Kid". This plane changed the face of WWII (Laurie Callsen/ QMI Agency)

LC-Harvard2.JPG

Bud Granley flies the vintage T-6 Harvard, a plane that was not designed for aerobatics. (Laurie Callsen/ QMI Agency)

I have more photos from that day here if you're interested!

Miss L.

Story

I'll Lock Up
RACINE - A restored Ford Tri-Motor airplane built in the 1920s will be in Racine this spring for public viewing and flights. The plane will visit Racine's Batten International Airport, 3239 N. Green Bay Road, May 26 to 30 to kick off a spring and summer tour that includes 12 cities in five states. Racine is the only Wisconsin city on the tour, according to the Experimental Aircraft Association, which is organizing the tour and owns the plane, based at the EAA's Aviation Center in Oshkosh.

http://www.journaltimes.com/news/local/article_8e5b5498-69f1-11e0-8c7c-001cc4c03286.html

See also
http://museum.eaa.org/collection/aircraft/Ford TriMotor.asp

Summer tour dates for the MidWest
http://www.eaa.org/news/2011/2011-02-17_trimotor.asp

lord_k

One of the Regulars
Boeing Model 314

AirAd3.jpg

The Model 314 had a 3,500-mile range and made the first scheduled trans-Atlantic flight June 28, 1939. By the year's end, Clippers were routinely flying across the Pacific. Clipper passengers looked down at the sea from large windows and enjoyed the comforts of dressing rooms, a dining salon that could be turned into a lounge and a bridal suite. The Clipper's 74 seats converted into 40 bunks for overnight travelers. Four-star hotels catered gourmet meals served from its galley.
Boeing built 12 Model 314s between 1938 and 1941. (Read more)

lord_k

One of the Regulars
Lightning & Lodestar, 1941

Mid-Continent Airlines were actually the launch customer for the Lockheed Lodestar, putting three of them into service (on "The Plains Route" as their network was known) early in 1940. The machine was a natural enhancement from the earlier Lockheed 14 (Super Electra), which, in turn had been developed from the model 10A Electra. (Ed Coates)

Image via paul.malon @ Flickr

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Picture105.jpg

A Golden Era J-3 and a very young Atticus. This photo was taken in 1972 or thereabout, probably close to the time I soloed. Old 89 Hotel was one of two planes my father owned in the early 'seventies, the other being a 1959 model 172. But the J-3 was pretty much on permanent loan to me when I was learning to fly.

Dad believed that an aspiring pilot should learn to fly in an aircraft with conventional gear and as few modern conveniences as possible. “Modern conveniences” being things like flaps, radios, electrical systems, starters and anything other than the most basic instruments. He said that in such an aircraft, a person could learn to actually fly, and not just learn to drive an airplane. And he understood that there is a difference. I remember that he wouldn’t even let me use the paved portion of the runway at Beaufort Airport. He made me use the grass shoulder of the runway because he had learned to fly on a grass field and he wanted the same for me.

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner