Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Barware

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
The triangular vs rounded glass thing reminds me of another difference: Nobody these days is drinking champagne from flat champagne cups, because everybody know the notes, taste, volume, body, character of the stuff isn't brought to bear in a flat glass. Only boors don't know that - let us drink Woolworth's own-brand $1.99 in plastic flutes. (Look, strawberry is on special sale this week!)

I just love the open glasses; they make your regular suit white tie. :)

(Don't forget to tune in again next week, when we'll grump about malt whiskey glasses with stems and good old boorish tumblers…!)

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I don't see a whole lot of pix, so I'll share...
I collect cocktail shakers with recipes on them. Here are some, with some samples of the vintage glassware I have. The two glasses with the bluish tint (2nd & 3rd from right) are part of a set given to my grandmother as a wedding present in 1939. It didn't come across well in the photo, but the linen also has a cocktail-themed print.

100_2277.jpg

Geez, thanks for this thread. I was just thinking around the 4th that I needed more shakers to fix a few drinks ahead of time and keep them cold. I completely forgot about a set my grandmother had on her buffet. :eusa_doh: I have them in boxes somewhere. Maybe I can find them fairly quickly.
Then again it might be easier to buy a new vintage one. ;) I'll look tonight. I at least remember where the old perculator with the red bakelite handles is. :p

Regards,

J

P.S. Quite a collection Leilani. :eusa_clap I'll ask about how to get white stains out of a decanter later. ;)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Barware from 15+ years before the Golden Era, but what the heck.

Absinthe glasses from the early 1900s. These were made specifically to contain absinthe:

Weee-1.jpg

Absinthe spoons from the early 1900s. A domino-shaped sugar cube would be placed on top of the slotted spoon, and water was dripped over it drop by drop. The sugared water would then drip from the spoon down into the absinthe already in the glass. This diluted the absinthe's strength, while the sugar softened its somewhat bitter edge. It also made the clear yellowish-green absinthe go cloudy.

Hellooo3A.jpg

Waoo5KB.jpg

An absinthe fountain from the early 1900s. This fountain would be filled with ice water. Glasses would be placed under the four spigots, which would drip the water into the glasses.

Yuup18KB.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
The triangular vs rounded glass thing reminds me of another difference: Nobody these days is drinking champagne from flat champagne cups, because everybody know the notes, taste, volume, body, character of the stuff isn't brought to bear in a flat glass. Only boors don't know that - let us drink Woolworth's own-brand $1.99 in plastic flutes. (Look, strawberry is on special sale this week!)
Someone once explained to me that the British used to like their Champage flat, for some reason. That' s why the wide Champagne glass came into use. Gak!
May I just put in a seemingly off topic point, but one that I think is relevant: It's good to have a nice glass, but the GIN the VERMOUTH and the CRACKED ICE also have a certain importance in a Martini. (I won't even mention Vodka.)

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Vodka?

Did someone mention...hic...vodka? Yesssh, I'll hab anover.

Pictures, people...let's see those pictures of vintage barware! If I can figure out how to post pics here (albeit large ones), anyone can!

Not the Lulu

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Starius said:
Lulu, that Deco set is absolutely stunning!

Did you collect it piece by piece or as a whole set?

Definitely piece-by-piece (to avoid a second mortgage)! It represents many days of prowling in dusty antique stores, several cross-country trips to attend Deco shows, lots of networking. Ebay, too, is a wondrous thang!

Thanks, Starius.

Lulu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner