Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era cotton flannel

nigelewan

New in Town
I'm looking for information on flannel during the Golden Era. What kinds of colors and patterns were dominant? (solid, plaid, patterned, etc.) Can anyone give me any background on this?

Thanks!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
If you are referring to suiting they used wool flannel and it was mostly solids and pin/chalk stripes. Cotton flannel was used for shirts and pajamas.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Cotton flannel was used for shirts and pajamas.

I suspect that was what he was referring to.

And to the OP, you almost certainly can't go wrong with plaids, but when looking at fabric (if you're looking to buy some to make something, which I'm presuming you are), watch out for more trendy color combos. While I'm a fan of Brown and power blue, I'm pretty sure it wasn't used much in the 40's.

nigelewan

New in Town
Thanks for the info. I'm looking into it to make pajamas. (Sidenote: is there really such a thing as cotton flannel suiting? I don't think I've ever heard of that.)

What about polka dots? Was polka dot cotton flannel common during the Golden Era?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy