Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Planes of Fame

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yuu aar cerrekt ser!!!.....

Mojave Jack said:
Those are great aircraft! I think you're thinking of the S-38 and S-39, though. The S-37 was a biplane that could be fitted with floats.

And the ultimate exploration aircraft, as well! The S-38 was the twin engine version, while the S-39 was the single engine version:

One of each, in the form of Osa and Martin's Sikorskys, The Spirit of Africa (S-39) and Osa's Ark (S-38)

I swiped these from Holcomb's Aerodrome. Great pics and info!

That was a typo on my part. :eusa_doh: I shall correct it forthwith! I know my S's and that one I posted is certainly the S-38 (with two Wasp powerplants!). Thanks for noticing! ;)

All of those S's were beutiful birds. It is a shame that so very few are remaining. The Johnson Wax people had a complete flying replica constructed of "Carnuba" which flies today. There is also an airworthy S-43 still being flown; ostensibly previously owned by Mr. HRH himself! (If I remember correctly he ditched one of those in Lake Mead once too!)

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

Yep! there it is....

2a283500.jpg

Another example of a beautiful Golden Era flying boat.

-dixon cannon

Twitch

I believe the "2-piece" greenhouse of the Hughes H-1 was simply the windscreen, which had a compound curve and the canopy hinged to open to the right in one more piece.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Absinthe_1900 said:
The Gee Bee needed a careful touch to handle, it was one of the factors in Jimmy Doolittle quitting air racing. (Doolittle would try lobbying to ban air racing)

I know. But you gotta admit the Gee Bees were some of the coolest looking aircraft to ever fly!

Tony in Tarzana

There's just something about the Gee Bee. Take the biggest engine you can get your hands on, attach a wing, a tail, wheels, and a place for the pilot to sit, fair it all in, and bingo! Speed reduced to its pure essence.

Tony in Tarzana

Schneider2.jpg

Supermarine S6B, the Schneider Trophy, behind it what appears to be a Napier Lion engine (used in a few previous Supermarine Schneider Trophy racers) and on the right I would assume is a Rolls-Royce "R" engine as used in the S6B and which was the progenitor of the Griffon engine used in later marks of the Spitfire.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Robert Conway said:
Look at the lousy armholes on that suit!!!
:p

RC
I was watching the flying scenes from the Aviator again the other day, when it suddenly struck me what I didn't like about it. How the heck were Hughes and Hepburn supposed to have that conversation like they were riding in a sailplane?! Although I've never flown in an S-38, with two Pratt & Whitney Wasps sitting about two feet from their heads, I can't believe they could hear each other shouting, let alone an intimate conversation across the plane! Oh, well, Hollywood, I guess.

Robert Conway said:
I love the Electras, but I'm also a big fan of one of the main competitors, the Beach 18, and all the variants. I especially like the AT-11 Kansan (and the SNB-1). I'm not sure why, but something about that plane grabs me.

SNB-1%20ON%20RAMP.JPG

Another plane I've alwasy thought was cool is the Bellanca Airbus, the "Flying W."
PG-120.JPG

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Gee Bees

Delmar Benjamin's R2 spent a couple of nights in my hangar a number of years ago. Given that I daydreamed away most of my jr. high and high school years mentally piloting that plane in race after race, it was a real treat. Of course, actually faced with the beast, I'd have been afraid to even taxi the thing, much less fly it. However, Delmar says it's not hard to fly at all, other than for being blind in the landing flare, not unlike alot of other aircraft from that period. It makes me wonder if the guys who originally flew them didn't understand the concept of torque rolls. As I recall, many of the accidents involved take off. Feed the throttle in gradually and no problem. Drop the hammer, and you've got a handful.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I know it's a repost, and I don't care.

mc72-iaf.jpg

Macchi - Castoldi MC72, powered by a 3000 hp Fiat AS.6 V-24(essentially 2 AS.5 V-12s mounted back to back!). 440 mph and contra-rotating props in 1931, with huge drag-inducing floats!

FIAT_AS6.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I know I posted a pic of this plane on another thread, but it applies here too...

A contemporary of the beautiful DH88 Comet, and one of my all-time favourites is the DH89 Dragon Rapide. This one flies with Classic Wings out of Duxford, offering pleasure flights of varying duration.
RAPIDE1.jpg

Here's another one that I believe is operated by Air Atlantique.
DragonRapide.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24