Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era stars who died way before their time

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I could go on for days...

hehe ..... yes the list is long .... we could go on for months, years even :p... what the heck ...let me take out my little (well not so little) "Hollywood Celebrity Death Book" .... here we go... (only a few ok? there is too much!)[huh]

John Gilbert, .... lol

Mabel Normand? (has she been mentioned too? lol)

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Are my morbid interests showing? :eek:

Regarding Reeves, I highly suggest you read this. As always, form your own conclusions!

The author of the article does make some interesting statements. However, Reeves' ex-lover Toni Mannix admitted in an interview made just prior to her death, that she was responsible for Reeve's murder; he had left her, got engaged with someone else, and Mannix couldn't bear thinking of him with another woman. In addition, regarding the idea that Reeves was severely depressed about filming two more seasons of the show, he told close friends that he was looking forward to it, due to the fact that he would be directing some episodes (he had directed the last three Superman episodes made). Just some food for thought...

Oh, and has anyone mentioned Colin Clive and Dwight Frye, horror film icons, as well as Bud Jamison, who appeared in many 3 Stooges shorts?

Submitted for your approval. Two of television's most creative minds whose brainchild was a groundbreaking television show that would be destined to become a classic. But little did they know that both would take a premature journey into...

...The Mortality Zone

Rod Serling, 50 (heart attack, 1975)
Charles Beaumont, 38 (Alzheimers, 1967)
(Twilight Zone writer)

hehe ..... yes the list is long .... we could go on for months, years even :p... what the heck ...let me take out my little (well not so little) "Hollywood Celebrity Death Book" .... here we go... (only a few ok? there is too much!)[huh]

John Gilbert, .... lol

Mabel Normand? (has she been mentioned too? lol)

William Desmond Taylor, 49 (murder, 1922)

WilliamDesmondTaylor.jpg

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
hehe ..... yes the list is long .... we could go on for months, years even :p...

And enjoy it :D

The author of the article does make some interesting statements. However, Reeves' ex-lover Toni Mannix admitted in an interview made just prior to her death, that she was responsible for Reeve's murder; he had left her, got engaged with someone else, and Mannix couldn't bear thinking of him with another woman. In addition, regarding the idea that Reeves was severely depressed about filming two more seasons of the show, he told close friends that he was looking forward to it, due to the fact that he would be directing some episodes (he had directed the last three Superman episodes made). Just some food for thought...

I tend to be skeptical of these later admissions (For this I thank Peter Lawford.) Speaking of, Marilyn's death is much the same, though on a larger scale than Reeves'. There is so much conjecture and conflicting accounts and evidence involved that its eventually becomes up to the individual to decide what happened. No one will ever know for sure.

Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer, 31 (homicide)

Now that was an interesting one. Imagine being killed over fifty dollars and a dog.

I've got some more...

Diana Barrymore was 38 (heart failure brought on by the Barrymore Curse)

Peggie Castle was 45 (cirrhosis of the liver)

Bobby Darin was 37 (blood poisoning)

John Garfield was 39 (heart attack)

Betty Grable was 56 (lung cancer)

Judy Holliday was 43 (breast cancer)

Mildred Harris Chaplin was 42 (pneumonia)

Elissa Landi was 43 (cancer)

Vivien Leigh was 53 (tuberculosis)

Jules Munshin was 54 (heart attack)

Mabel Normand was 37 (tuberculosis)

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I had NO idea. Fascinating! I read her book(ish), Four Jills and a Jeep.

I've never read that one, I'll have to check it out!

Landis' story is indeed fascinating. At the time of her suicide, she was in dire straits financially, had just finished with her third divorce, and had begun a dalliance with the married Rex Harrison (himself married 8 times.) He was the last person to see her alive - Over dinner on July 4th, 1948, she had tried to talk about financial problems with Rex, but he was apparently non-attentive. The next day, when she wouldn't answer her phone, he went to her house and found her dead with her head resting on her jewelry box. Seconal (the powerful barbiturate prescribed by Hollywood doctors like air) and alcohol were to blame.

Harry Crosby, 31* (suicide, 1929)
Bobby Driscoll, 31 (drug overdose, 1968)
John Dillinger, 31 (shot while being apprehended by FBI, 1934)

*Lost Generation poet

Last edited:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
img231874c855d2106773.gif

Lucille Ricksen - 15 (TB)

3468067655_82b9ef6efa.jpg

Lya de Putti - 31 (Choked on a chicken bone)

2329514119_31fe2464f3_o.jpg

Marilyn Miller - 37 (Died after sinus surgery)

99vw5eq2w7m88m2.jpg

Clarine Seymour - 21 ("Strangulated intestines")

Karl_Dane-456x582.jpg

Karl Dane - 48 (Suicide, gun to the head)

9ux8ux25atrj52t8.jpg

Marjorie White - 30 (car accident)

FlorenceLaBadieJan15.jpg

Florence la Badie - 29 (car accident)

Gladys+Brockwell+by+Hartsook+Studio.jpg

Gladys Brockwell - 34 (car accident)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
tumblr_lila9z39co1qipotmo1_500.jpg

Lilyan Tashman - 34 or 39 (abdominal cancer)

4430738316_b0191c34ae_o.jpg

Dorothy Dell - 19 (car accident)

4764339936_99d30a4b13_o.jpg

Martha Mansfield - 24 (dress went up in flames from a careless smoker)

4430738478_a9318c9c38_o.jpg

Evelyn Hoey - 24 (found with a bullet hole in her head -- possible murder)

4430030999_8f156119e1_o.jpg

Gloria Dickson - 28 (house fire)

4429969775_3f41af7b9f_o.jpg

Dorothy Seastrom - 26 (TB)

4763701641_49d22f4b24_o.jpg

William Hinckley - 23 (1918 flu epidemic)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
1375361366_f6633094fe.jpg

Al Bowlly - 42 (door slammed into the back of his head from a bomb explosion during WW2)

4427762749_1526cf09c4_o.jpg

Harold Lockwood - 31 (1918 flu epidemic)

4429884334_f66b88d43c_o.jpg

Mary Thurman - 30 (TB)

bbkbdrgfd8nkrdfb.jpg

Gwili Andre - 51 (fire/suicide)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot