Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goldenberg Peanut Chew WW1 - WW2 candy bar rations

green papaya

One Too Many
I found a candy bar at the store called Goldenberg Peanut chews and the label on the back of the wrapper says these were used during WW1 as rations for US soldiers! These would also be popular as a candy bar during WWII

perfect to add to your WWI or WWII reenactment / living history rations

Peanut Chews were developed and, during most of their history, manufactured by the Goldenberg Candy Company, which was founded by David Goldenberg in 1890. Peanut Chews were first introduced in 1917. The candies were originally developed for use by the U.S. military as a ration bar during World War I. The high-energy, high-protein recipe and unique taste made it popular with the troops. In 1921 Harry Goldenberg introduced the first wrapped Peanut Chews candy for retail sales. In the 1930s the candy was converted from a full-size bar to small individual pieces.

Attachments

• 2011017goldenbergsstory.jpg
    2011017goldenbergsstory.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,813
  • CompressedPeanutChew3.3oz8pc.jpeg.jpg
    CompressedPeanutChew3.3oz8pc.jpeg.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 2,411

green papaya

One Too Many
Goldenberg's Peanut Chews

Goldenberg's Peanut Chew , it's one of my favorite WW1 - WW2 candy bars "The Original Doughboy's candy bar"

Attachments

• 2015-07-19_120322.jpg
    2015-07-19_120322.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 1,274

Feraud

Bartender
I grew up snacking on these. My parents used to sell Goldberg's in their deli. I find the taste a better balance of nuts and chocolate than Snickers. I don't like the heavy cloying chocolate taste of Snickers bars.

pawineguy

One Too Many
That's a Philadelphia product with deep, deep roots in that city, right up there with Tastykakes and Richie Ashburn. Inexplicably they've started showing up in stores around here in recent months.

Yes, the factory in Northeast Philly still produces them, but they are now owned by another local company that has been trying to take them national. (Peeps, Mike and Ike, Hot Tamales - it's actually a good fit as they are all niche brands)

They messed with the packaging which did not make the locals here in Philly happy, so they since returned to a more original look emphasizing the Goldenberg name. Being a fan of dark chocolate I like them much more than Snickers, although now they do sell a milk chocolate version. They had a good campaign recently about "chewin it old school", and if you've ever had one, yes, you know you really need to do some serious chewing.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
The factory buned down several years ago but the family chose to rebuilt in Philadelphia. Purchased by Just Born candies of Bethlehem PA who also chose to keep production in Philadelphia. At one point they were putting more emphasis on the Chewettes branding. I assume that had to do with international sales a good deal of which were in the middle east. The biggest change to the product in my lifetime was the introduction of a milk chocolate coating option. That was a big deal around here but the original is still the preferred.

Tom D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael