Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Fashion News~

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
On MSN today I read the following from this link:
http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctid=906,ptnrid=164,ptnrdata=300980&GT1=8189

Boy Story
DON'T limit yourself to only one solution to the dreaded panty-line problem. Thongs may well give you a smooth contour under this season’s white Bermudas or slim jeans, but they’re not the most elegant, or comfortable, underpinning anymore.
DO discover the newest undercover agents. Boy-shorts can be sleek and low-rise like a hipster panty or adorned with extravagant details that rival your fanciest lingerie. Best of all, they fit and flatter unlike any other brief encounter.

Great Lengths
DON'T sell yourself short. Belly-baring crop tops are completely pass?©, and for that we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief.
DO try warm weather wear that provides air-conditioning in an altogether more classy way. The new breed of tunic tops is perfect — they’re form-skimming without being too clingy, and made of soft cottons, summer-perfect linens, silks and sporty spandex blends. Nab a few in a spectrum of styles, too, from casual arm-baring versions for day, to semi-sheer baby-doll cuts abloom with prints for evening

On the Rise
DON'T risk a "muffin top." If even the skinniest models show a bit of flesh rising over the crest of their super low jeans, you and I are not going to be flattered by this unfortunate fad.
DO rejoice in the new change of directions. Daring designers and mass merchandisers alike are showing a definite upward trend in pant rises, and these are not only easier to wear, but actually more flattering both front and rear. Whisper thin teens don’t have a lock on the bottom-line anymore.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
well this is good news! the outfits I have been seeing , there is nothing classy at all about them! definetely time for a fashion change!

Amapola

Familiar Face
I agree it's time for a change! I've been looking for a dress to wear to a wedding, and everything I see looks like I should be hanging out on a corner. I've been looking for just the right vintage dress, and haven't found one to suit the occasion. (outdoor by a lake, June wedding)

And jeans--don't even get me started! I can't find jeans anymore, so maybe now that will change.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I keep hearing that high-waisted pants and jeans are back in style, but I still think the masses are resistant to change :rolleyes:

At least, I have not seen any high-waisted jeans (or even medium rise jeans) that cost less than $100 on the racks yet...

C

cherry_bomb

The high pant rise is so true!!

The design company I work for is looking for "new" styles to tap into. And right now we're playing w/ sailor style crackerjack pants!! i'm so excited.

The unfortunate part? I work for a maternity company... but at least I know I'll be fashionable and vintage when I'm expecting!!*

*which is hopefully not anytime soon- lol

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was in Ann Taylor Loft recently and they had a great pair of high waist (natural waist!) trousers with a nice wide leg. Unfortunately they fit me very strangely. I have a small waist proportionately to my hips (28-40), so it's very hard to get pants that don't gap at the waist when they fit my bum!

C

cherry_bomb

jitterbugdoll said:
Ooh, I hope they unveil some cute retro styles! Not that I am in that market myself, but I do think some of the maternity fashions popular these days are not exactly well-suited to expecting mothers:rolleyes:

I totally agree w/ you! Maternity clothes took a turn for the better when women stopped wearing tents, but w/ the revival of the 80's comes all those tent tops and leggings... *sigh* one day someone will learn!!

I'm trying to influence that market as much as i possibly can. Fortunately for me I work in the career styles as well as dresses. So I can add a bit of vintage flair to some. Unfortunately most of what makes vintage true is that natural waistline... which maternity clothing just can't have. But we have ALOT of flapper inspired clothing coming out for this fall as well as next spring! So I'm really thrilled!!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have to say, the flapper styles don't do it for me :( When you have an hourglass build, 1920s-styles simply do not flatter like 1940s and 50s styles do!

I love the maternity looks of the 1940s--and they were very practical too, in that they were adjustable, and they left your belly exposed (I hear the elastic panels they use nowadays are very itchy.)

Anyway, back to the real topic of this thread...let's hope the general public catches on sooner rather then later :eusa_clap

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
Ooh, I hope they unveil some cute retro styles! Not that I am in that market myself, but I do think some of the maternity fashions popular these days are not exactly well-suited to expecting mothers:rolleyes:
maternity clothes have come a long way! With my last girl I was able to be somewhat stylin, but with my first, it was like wearing a tent over yourself and calling it an outfit...was horrible.

Katydid

One of the Regulars
cherry_bomb said:
The high pant rise is so true!!

The design company I work for is looking for "new" styles to tap into. And right now we're playing w/ sailor style crackerjack pants!! i'm so excited.

Sailor pants, YEA! I was so happy to walk into Limited one day and see sailor type pants laying on the table. I think I'm going to make myself a pair as soon as I finish a couple dresses.

High waisted pants are definitely back in fashion this season but I think it will take a while for the fashion to trickle down to my budget level. So for now I enjoy my high waisted A-line and pencil skirts.

Naama

Practically Family
Well, yes, that sounds really good, but I think at least 99% of all the younger girls won't quit wearing there pants between there knees...... I heard it from my sisters and from my friends as well...... They even think that higher waistet pants look stupid... And, they don't even believe me that you don't wear your skirts as low as you (or they) wear there pants :eusa_doh: Well, you can't teach people style or class, can you.

Naama

Katydid

One of the Regulars
young girls are too concerned with what's trendy. They look at the displays in American Eagle *shudder* and take their fashion cues from that. Girls nowadays don't know how to dress themselves. Personally, I wear low cut jeans because I'm short (think 4'10) and low waisted jeans help elongate my torso. That way I can wear normal lenth shirts which on me are usually a little long and they hit my pants at the right place. It helps break up my shape and give me a waist. But my low waisted jeans aren't too tight unlike some people's, therefore the things that need hidden aren't bulging over the edge. Like I said, girls just don't know how to dress anymore. Less is definitely more. (Less skin that is)

Lauren

I agree. It's all about knowing your figure and what works best for you- and buying the right size.

I have nothing against modern fashion. I actually really like some of it. It's about taking it and adapting it to your figure and having the decency to still have decency. And this applies to vintage as well. I'm sure we've all seen scantily dressed girls trying to be "retro" or "vintage". But there's no way that gals in the golden era would have walked about the streets like that... and gals back then did just as bad of a job finding flattering styles. Look at photo albums! Man, some gals just look downright frumpy. Some of their skirts are worn way too tight! I guess it's just an eternal curse... but at least their fashions covered, even if they weren't flattering.

Sorry, went on tanget. Back to the regularly sceduled forum topic :D

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree, girls sure do not know how to dress nowadays. What do you expect when they are taking there cues from people like J. Lo and other MtV people.
As for jeans, I tend to spend the money on a good pair, for I am a tough fit. Being that I have 3 pretty big scars on my belly, the last thing I want is to show off my middle. Also, there is nothing worse than seeing a girl bend over, revealing the line of a thong, or walking behind someone who's handles are laying sloppily over either side of their pants. We need a change, I hope the designers can find a style that will bring us to an era gone, and bring some class back to us ladies.

Lauren

I spend a lot on jeans, too. I admit to having a designer jean fetish. But I can only afford about one pair a year unless I buy them from a resale shop. I'm going to go hide in a corner now...

Vanessa

One Too Many
Naama said:
Well, you can't teach people style or class, can you.

I think of this every time I see a nine year old girl in an inappropriately short skirt & heeled shoes. What are her parents thinking? They obviously are buying their children clothing if they are that young - so why wouldn't they try to instill a little more decorum.
On an :eek:fftopic: : my children will love their knickerbockers & jumpers or else.

Katydid

One of the Regulars
I so agree! Every time I'm at the mall I wonder if their parents even glanced at them when they walked out the door. I'm pretty sure my father would have shackled me to my bed had I attempted to wear a mini skirt at any age!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Tis true--children may be taking their cues from what the stars are wearing, but their parents are the ones buying the clothing. I distinctly remember my mother showing me what did and didn’t look good on my figure, and her drawing the line at too short of skirts and shorts! Had I been in my teens currently, I know she would have not allowed me to walk around sporting 'muffin top'--she would have instructed me to pick out the right size jeans :)

The interesting thing is that when flipping through a vintage magazine, you notice that a great many ads are devoted to improperly fitted girdles and dresses, showing proper fit and the improved posture and look after you fix this very important matter (yes, these ads are aimed at selling more underwear, but still.) I wish someone would start publishing those ads again, aimed at today’s fashions :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner