Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good light pomade for thinner hair?

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
Hey folks -
I've got a receding hairline and thin hair, and am sure to be bald soon enough, but until then... I'm going to live it up with what I've got.
I'm looking for a light pomade to hold my hair, keep a decent shine, and something that will be pretty easy to get out. I've tried'em all, and I was digging the smell of Royal Crown pomade, until I left it in my car in the Texas heat and the hold consistency was gone.
I've been using Layrite Super Hold but it's been drying my scalp out a bit, making it itchy, and not shiny, either... I like a little bit of hold, but most light pomades make my hair go limp immediately.
Here's how I style my hair, so you can get a decent idea:
IMG_1123-1.jpg

medk.jpg

Gene

Practically Family
I'm in the same boat as you buddy!

For my hair, which is a lot like yours although it's much much thinner on top, I use Madcats Pomade 65 WT. Unfortunately, after viewing their website, I just learned that they no longer make it! This really saddens me, it was great for my thin hair.

Although I'm not sure of the quality, you could check out either American Greaser 40 WT or High Life "Light."

http://www.daddyzero.com/index.php?...result&search_in_description=1&keyword=pomade

repeatclicks

Practically Family
If you can find it, get your hands on some stuff called Hairgum Legend Classic. Its a french brand, and its a perfect weight. I dont have thin hair nor thick hair, I fall somewhere down the middle, but Ive found stuff like Sweet Georgia Brown Blue to be too heavy and stuff like AGS 40wt, or Royal Crown to be too light.

Its not the cheapest stuff, but if Mr. Ducktail uses it in all his clients hair (lucky enough to be one myself!), then its got to be good. It provides good hold without being heavy, smells great too. The tin is small, but it should last you about 4-6 weeks.

http://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/haleclpo.html

Bert

New in Town
tylerevansokay said:
Anyone got any other tips? Thanks!

Bonjour à vous

Well...You should try different "light" versions of the most well known pomades. Murray's super light is great and (as far as I know) can be very easily to find. It holds alittle bit more than Royal crown and as a great shine. BTW, it contains aloe vera, lanolin and coconut oil, to help your hair to fight against time and stay on your hair a little bit longer.
Or else, try Black and white light ; Sweet georgia brown red is also always a good choice ; all the Murrays "hair treatments" in little plastic cans (tea trea, shea butter, carrot oil...) ; the dax "Pure lanolin"...

Hope it helped.

Amicalement, Bertrand, Québec City.

babs

A-List Customer
Good luck brother. I can tell ya from experience (check pic in my sig)...

Becoming folically challenged is good excuse for larger purchases than pomade.

Once one gives in to the hair cards they've been delt, I recommend headblade.com. :) I haven't had a haircut expense or a bad-hair-day in over a decade now. hehehe

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Two words: American Crew. I sold it to tons of guys with thinning hair in my shopgirl days.

By the way, has anyone ever told you that you look like Dick York? :)

OldSoul

Familiar Face
Is there a "I'm slowly losing my hair and thus my mind as well" social group I can join?? :(

I tried longer hair for awhile, but found I needed thick pomades (Murrays regular) to make it hold, and the products I required were thick enough to pull out my hair while I combed. I admited defeat, cut my hair short and moped for the past few months before sucking it up and getting my flat-top back.

Now, I don't work for any sort of hair products supplier, nor do I have any financial interest in any hair product producers...but I thought I would plug Nioxin products. I was refered to them my cousin who spent some time working for a hairdresser. Through her I found out my old boss used it (if it's good enough for Bob it's good enough for me!). It's designed to slow down the thinning of hair, as well as strengthen the hair you have (helps when using products like pomades I would imagine). I've been using the #2 system stuff (shampoo/conditioner) for 2 weeks and I can already tell my hair is stronger and healthier.

Again, not trying to sell anything to anyone...just thought I'd throw it out there for you guys :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
OldSoul said:
Now, I don't work for any sort of hair products supplier, nor do I have any financial interest in any hair product producers...but I thought I would plug Nioxin products.

Oh, yes! Nioxin is a tad on the expensive side, but it DOES work. They have shampoos and conditioners, scalp treatments, and intensive therapy. It has a very minty smell, which some people don't like, but it invigorates the scalp and makes it tingle. Since women's hair tends to thin all over, and men's in patches, it begins noticeably working for women faster - but results appear in 6 months for men.

I'm not in any way affiliated - I've just worked a lot in beauty supply, and I base my recommendations on what customer's have told me.

OldSoul

Familiar Face
Glad it's not all in my head! Now, please tell me that it will cause me to re-grow my hair and I'll die a happy man!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
It will regrow the hair you've got - but it won't bring about any drastic results for receding hairlines.

I'm sure you will die with a smile on, OldSoul! You may be losing some hair, but you'll always be a handsome man, if you believe it:)

OldSoul

Familiar Face
C-dot said:
It will regrow the hair you've got - but it won't bring about any drastic results for receding hairlines.

I'm sure you will die with a smile on, OldSoul! You may be losing some hair, but you'll always be a handsome man, if you believe it:)

I can believe I'm filthy stinking rich too, but it won't make it so... :p

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
Brylcreem and Royal Crown in all you need.

First, apply the Brylcreem to get the sheen, then hold it with a thin layer of RC to keep in place.

Brylcreem is perfect for thinning hair.

Mister Ducktail

New in Town
repeatclicks said:
If you can find it, get your hands on some stuff called Hairgum Legend Classic. Its a french brand, and its a perfect weight. I dont have thin hair nor thick hair, I fall somewhere down the middle, but Ive found stuff like Sweet Georgia Brown Blue to be too heavy and stuff like AGS 40wt, or Royal Crown to be too light.

Its not the cheapest stuff, but if Mr. Ducktail uses it in all his clients hair (lucky enough to be one myself!), then its got to be good. It provides good hold without being heavy, smells great too. The tin is small, but it should last you about 4-6 weeks.

http://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/haleclpo.html[/QUOT

Who ever you re thanks for this post , just let you know that the new Mr Ducktail grease by Hairgum is now out.
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=333788280&albumID=987826&imageID=15574425

Avaible for wholesale at njanvier@hairgum.com

Mr Badger

Practically Family
As someone who also has thinning hair, I sympathise.

On the occasions when I do 'lard-up', as we say on this side of the pond, I find that Sportin' Waves in the tan-coloured can gives a good hold and a slight sheen without the 'cripes, my hair is breaking off' or 'thinning' effect of more oily or waxy products. It washes out easily, too.

Rather than risk making my hair worse than it is, I now tend to wear hats all the time which, ironically, won't do anything for my hairline, either! That's the, ahem, rub!

CopperNY

A-List Customer
Grant's Golden Pomade:

http://www.grantsgoldenbrand.com/

i'm thin on the top/front. used to use Hold Fast, but they went under.

easily thinned in the hand, with a little water, to desired viscosity. love the fact that it comes out with just water.

i wear a "medium regulation" haircut, but use pomade to shape it into a flat top.

shortbow

Practically Family
The best stuff for my hair, which is thinner than yours and combed straight back is Alberto xtra hold styling gel. It drys on your hair so it's not a classic pomade, but it's the best for me out of many I've tried over many years. 0 stink'um as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS