Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good light pomade for thinner hair?

Jan

One of the Regulars
Personally, I've found DAX (red can) to be one of the more versatile pomades out there. I like it so much, I found one can locally and bought it. Even though I still had a new full can and about half of another, left over.

It's light enough for thinner hair, and has a decent enough hold for people with thick hair, like myself.

Check my blog, for a more descriptive review on Dax and some other pomades.

Also did a little review on Grant's Golden Brand, linked above.

www.therebelrouser.wordpress.com

Annixter

Practically Family
I've been on the hunt for about six months now for a good water based pomade. I recently started using a pomade made by Tres Flores, and I am very happy with the outcome.

I love Royal Crown, and I use it for more formal occasions, but I like a water based product for everyday use. Although I cannot speak for how Tres Flores pomade works on thin hair, it is not as heavy as Royal Crown, yet it has a good malleable hold to it that I think would work well with thinner hair. The only downside is that I cannot find it anywhere locally, even where their products are carried, so I had to purchase it online.

Memo

Familiar Face
I recommend Layrite pomade. It comes in original and super hold and you can get a huge 32oz tub of it.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
My hair is somewhat thin, I believe, and I use Dax Wave and Groom, which is supposedly designed for shorter hair, although mine is not very short. It has good hold, I'll say, but it may not be exactly what you're looking for, as I don't think it would be considered a light pomade. In addition to Dax though, I also use Brylcreem on most days, using the two often simultaneously. So far, I have limited experience with pomades and classic hair products in general, but I think I've found something that works just fine for me. Don't be afraid to experiment with the various pomades out there, many of them are actually very cheap. I personally wouldn't pay more than fifteen dollars, including shipping, for one.

Jan

One of the Regulars
Annixter said:
I've been on the hunt for about six months now for a good water based pomade. I recently started using a pomade made by Tres Flores, and I am very happy with the outcome.

I love Royal Crown, and I use it for more formal occasions, but I like a water based product for everyday use. Although I cannot speak for how Tres Flores pomade works on thin hair, it is not as heavy as Royal Crown, yet it has a good malleable hold to it that I think would work well with thinner hair. The only downside is that I cannot find it anywhere locally, even where their products are carried, so I had to purchase it online.

Memo said:
I recommend Layrite pomade. It comes in original and super hold and you can get a huge 32oz tub of it.

Since you are looking for a water based pomade so you can wash it out, I too would recommend Layrite. You won't be getting the same sheen you would be getting with Royal Crown, but if you can live with that, give Layrite a try. I don't know how well Layrite would hold up, if you put a lighter pomade on your hair to give it the sheen, IE Royal Crown, but it shouldn't break it down too much.

BTW, Layrite is actually a pretty strong pomade, but it is completely washable. It has really strong, gel like hold. So if you're looking for something that will move about freely, it might not be the one. This stuff is ideal for pompadours.

Sweet Georgia Brown makes a water based pomade, supposedly washable... But it isn't. It's pretty much just like Royal Crown, but with a different scent and pricepoint.

I'll be posting a "better buy" post on my blog in a few days. So it could help find what's better for the price and performance.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Jan said:
Since you are looking for a water based pomade so you can wash it out, I too would recommend Layrite. You won't be getting the same sheen you would be getting with Royal Crown, but if you can live with that, give Layrite a try. I don't know how well Layrite would hold up, if you put a lighter pomade on your hair to give it the sheen, IE Royal Crown, but it shouldn't break it down too much.

BTW, Layrite is actually a pretty strong pomade, but it is completely washable. It has really strong, gel like hold. So if you're looking for something that will move about freely, it might not be the one. This stuff is ideal for pompadours.

Sweet Georgia Brown makes a water based pomade, supposedly washable... But it isn't. It's pretty much just like Royal Crown, but with a different scent and pricepoint.

I'll be posting a "better buy" post on my blog in a few days. So it could help find what's better for the price and performance.

I have pretty good luck with washing out the sweet georgia brown from my hair. I use the purple can which has a more female friendly scent( I like it cause my husband doesn't dip into my can). I am not trying to wear a pomp though its usually to hold back the fly aways if pulling hair back so i am just using a fingertip full at a time.

My husband who wears a pomp uses the layrite. He likes it so much he sells it in his barber shop and highly recommends it.

Annixter

Practically Family
Thanks for the additional reviews of Layrite Jan and Land-O-LakesGal; I'm now prompted to give it a try, even though I like the Tres Flores.

Jan, do you purchase Layrite over the internet or locally? I see that Layrite has two distributors on Haight St., and I was wondering if that's where you get yours.

Jan

One of the Regulars
Where did you see that they have a Layrite stockist on Haight Street? Edit* Nevermind, through their site... I haven't checked the Wak Shack, it's probably a gimmick looking store that I pass by. Probably with random scarfs and shirts and what not. I'm surprised to see FTC would be considered a stockist, as it is a skate shop. Maybe they just said they were a stockist to get a whole bunch of pomade for themselves at whole sale prices? I'll try and check it out today.

I've walked up and down Haight trying to find any and all pomade, and none have had any.
Would be nice to find some locally.

I ordered mine from www.thegreaseshop.com

But you can also order through Amazon (I'm pretty sure,) ebay, and some other random websites.

Jan

One of the Regulars
Ok. So I just checked up on both stockists...

One shop, FTC, Ive shopped here years before and they do not carry any Layrite. I'm pretty sure they use bought stuff at wholesale for themselves.

The other place is a salon, and they carry it. But at $17, it's pretty expensive. I mean, I guess it's probably cheaper than having to order one thing at a time because of shipping and taxes... But for me, I do bulk buys and just order more than a couple to make shipping worth it.

But it's good to know that there's a local stockist.

motorpsycho67

Familiar Face
I've been using Krew Komb the last 15 years on my relatively thin hair. Discovered it at my barbershop when I lived in Phoenix. I think I was using Tres Flores before that. It's a medium hold with no shine (which is what I like), but you could probably mix it with a bit of something light and shiny if you need. I've tried a lot of other pomades/waxes, but I always return to Krew Komb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy