Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Vintage Reads...

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
If you like Ring Lardner, a contemporary of his was Dorothy Parker. The collection The Portable Dorothy Parker has just come out in a new edition -- I spotted it the other day at B & N. Incomparable short stories and fun poems, plus theatre reviews that define the term "snark."

I second and third the suggestions of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries. I reread the Wolfe stories every few years and get something new out of them each time. As P.G. Wodehouse said about Stout's work, you reread them even when you know who the murderer is: "That's writing."

And if you haven't tried him, there's John Dickson Carr, who learned from Ellery Queen and taught lots of other mystery writers how it's done. He specialized in the impossible crime/locked room puzzle for something like 40 years, and he pioneered a new (for its time) genre, the time-travel mystery, as well as blending the historical novel with the mystery. Try to find "The Three Coffins," "The Crooked Hinge," and "Hag's Nook."

ferula98

New in Town
'The Circus - 1870-1950 by Taschen' This is an amazing book for the colour photography included. I have a review and some gorgeous colour images of the showgirls on my blog if you care to take a read. I have quite a few book reviews and am soon to post a write up of 'the girls of murder city' a book telling the story of the young murderess's in 1920's chicago that the musical Chicago was based on.
:)

http://flairinaladysboudoir.blogspot.com/2011/05/day-at-fair.html

DNO

One Too Many
Not a mystery, but I always enjoy reading "Northwest Passage" by Kenneth Roberts. It was first published in 1937 and they made it into a film in 1940 starring Spencer Tracy and Robert Young.

Tommy

One of the Regulars
I second the F. Scott Fitzgerald short stories, and would add John Cheever's stories, along with James Cain (Mildred Pierce, Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity) and Theodore Dreiser's An American tragedy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran