Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodman Or Shaw?

Who is Your Favorite Clarinetist?

• Benny Goodman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Artie Shaw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
For the longest time my entire knowledge of Artie Shaw was 'begin the beguine' and 'frenesi,' leading me to believe he was pretty lame. The Goodman Orchestra's 1938 (it was '38, wasn't it?) Carnegie Hall show was what got me listening to Jazz/Swing in earnest back when I was around 18. Then along comes FL and the link to the 'Sweet and Hot' podcasts, which smacked me right upside the head with the likes of the Cafe Rouge recordings, and an introduction to the Gramercy 5.

I have a difficult time saying which one I think is 'better.' I prefer Goodman's renditions of some slow numbers over Shaw's, but Shaw's hot numbers swing quite a bit harder than most of Benny's up-tempo songs.

stillsparkling

New in Town
Funny, I always felt that it was Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman who were always being compared.

It's a tough call, because I like both of them for different reasons. But in the end, I think I'll have to go with Benny Goodman. I don't think it's a question of who is better, though, because they both had their own style and approach to a song. They were two different artists. Same genre, only different styles.

Chas

One Too Many
HodgePodge said:
For the longest time my entire knowledge of Artie Shaw was 'begin the beguine' and 'frenesi,' leading me to believe he was pretty lame. The Goodman Orchestra's 1938 (it was '38, wasn't it?) Carnegie Hall show was what got me listening to Jazz/Swing in earnest back when I was around 18. Then along comes FL and the link to the 'Sweet and Hot' podcasts, which smacked me right upside the head with the likes of the Cafe Rouge recordings, and an introduction to the Gramercy 5.

I have a difficult time saying which one I think is 'better.' I prefer Goodman's renditions of some slow numbers over Shaw's, but Shaw's hot numbers swing quite a bit harder than most of Benny's up-tempo songs.

Thanks for the feedback!

You may want to check out the Artie Shaw anniversary tribute show, if you haven't already. Always happy to hear from my listeners.:)

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
Shaw for me. Something about his music always just felt more dangerous to me. And that fire in the belly seems to drive all my choices when it comes to music, regardless of genre

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
StetsonHomburg said:
I'd have to go with Artie Shaw.... I am not that
familiar with either of there music but I have heard
a couple songs from each.
Actually scince this thread I have listened alot of both of them and I am now leaning twards Goodman but Artie still has some amazing hits, my favorite of which Begin the Beguine

davidraphael

Practically Family
I like Shaw, but I'm definitely going to have to go with Goodman, especially his trio stuff.

Just last week I was listening again to his complete Madhattan 1937 broadcasts (which I believe are not available commercially).

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
I really enjoy both clarinetists, but I think Shaw takes the cake for raw ability. His work on "Streamline" demonstrates an awesome level of technical fluency. I have yet to hear another clarinetist in his day that could spear notes as high as he could (he ends "Concerto for Clarinet" with an altissimo 'C' - most of the clarinet players I've heard won't go past a 'G').

Dapper Dave

Familiar Face
If you listen to Artie Shaw he has a nicer fuller tone compaired to Benny Goodman. If you get the CD or record On The Air Benny Goodman 1937-1938, you can hear the swing and crazyness of goodmans band. If I had to make a selection between the two, I would choose Benny Goodman. Goodman played songs that where hard to master while shaw went towards a full classical sounding orchestra.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Absolutely agree with you!

Shaw's sound is unique. Just perfect. As a player and as a musician.

But Goodman was great too - maybe not so great as Shaw - but his orchestra is better. Specially when we compare the fisrt Shaw's orch with the BG band. Or ever the 1941 BG with Eddie Sauter with the contemporary Shaw orch.

Dapper Dave

Familiar Face
Shaw changed out personell on a regular basis during the 1940s. He was not happy with the sound he was getting from jazz musicans, and got a string attachment to the orchestra. Goodman stuck to the trio and quintets. Krupa started his own band which sounds really good after 1945. Most of Goodmans personell where all stars Harry James, Ziggy Elman and Gene Krupa. Arthur Rollini was in Benny Goodmans band too, he was the younger brother of Adrian Rollini baratone saxophone player. Compaire that with Artie Shaw's Tony Pastor George Auld and Buddy Rich. Thats what gave Benny Goodman the title king of swing. I do Like Artie Shaw but I perfer Goodmans Band.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24