Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

got another

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Here's another coat I just got, on the great advise of Wildroot
late 40's
90_1_b.JPG

and one I couldn't pass for $20 not sure of age, really don't think 30's maybe 40's

3e_1_b.JPG

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh, so you got them! GooOOD JOB! The Tux coat I'm thinking 30's! Look at the shoulders how somewhat narrow they appear. Also, the cut of the lapels are some what curved and styled. It may even be earlier then the 30's! Never know till you get it and take a close look!

Congrats!

=WR=

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I concur... that's gotta be thirties. I've seen some dated forties tux with that cut... but I'm thinking it's thirties. Keep sharing Nick. You're getting some great pieces!

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Upon further investigation I am convinced it is earlier thirties.

Not saying that all styles are limited to this piece of paper but this pic was THE standard from about 1938 to 1942.

1940:

1940atux2dc.jpg

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
sorry to double post but I have mention that I have a tux from 1941 that is cut exactly like the double breasted in the illustration, but I've seen NRA tagged tux jackets that look exactly like Mr. Charles here.

I have a few more pics. I'm going through my archive trying to locate them.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
pic of the double

Here's a bad pic of me in the double.

dbl1ux.jpg

The jacket , tie, and hat are vintage. Need to get the sleeves adjusted and looks like I should have button the inside button, the lapel looks droopy.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Say, you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re looking real slick Nick!

Looks to fit right! But, one little thing, did you not button the inside button on the coat? Kind of looks as one lapel is crowding the button!

Other then that, its super choice! Nothing like a vintage suit coat to make a guy feel good!

=WR=

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Tux jacket came today and boy does it look blue to me. Midnight blue medium weight wool, the only tag on it is the name of the shop and the inside pocket is side loading not top. Its really nice, I'll throw it on Thurday morning with my tux pants and get a picture.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh, so it's a midnight job! Sweeet! You know, that's really much better then black! At night, it will appear more as being black then blue! In the evening, it's known that midnight blue takes on more of a black color at night then black does.

Well, so it doesn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t have a date. No worries, that just means you could wear it for a 30's event or a 40's event and no one would be the wiser! Say, are your tux pants midnight blue? You can find vintage ones ever so often and they're way easier to find then the coats!

=WR=

Nick Charles

Practically Family
No the pants are black. I got them earlier this year for $5. so I thought why not. They are lighter weight than the Jacket. I'll keep my eyes open for a pair.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Nick, I'm really surprised at the fact that you're finding vintage. I'm not trying to offend you in any way, but, you're size is a tough one to find in vintage. Might I ask what size you are? I ask this because I may know of a large sized dark brown D/B late 40's suit over here that's really cheap that might fit ya!

Any way, good luck with the tux pant search! I know you'll find some!

Regards,
=WR

Nick Charles

Practically Family
You can't offend me, people think I'm crazy. It can't get worse than that. I'm about a 46 between a short and regular. That double you said to buy was listed as a 44R but the measure ments were 20 shoulders, 25 sleeve and 46 chest. I figured if the chest was too tight I could move the buttons. But it fits fine. I like a 40 waist and 29-30 inseam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner