Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got blocked by Simmons Bilt Instagram because my comment

I know it's not as legit as the stuff you BBQ studs are discussing, but when we do road-trips or just traveling in general, we always pickup bottles of local sauces. I have a good collection, and don't eat nearly enough meat to use them all, but it's that and coffee and beer that I get a kick out of trying from all over. Just when you think you found "the one" (*hmm, sounds familiar) you find more. I'm amazed I'm not a crack addict ;)

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I know it's not as legit as the stuff you BBQ studs are discussing, but when we do road-trips or just traveling in general, we always pickup bottles of local sauces. I have a good collection, and don't eat nearly enough meat to use them all, but it's that and coffee and beer that I get a kick out of trying from all over. Just when you think you found "the one" (*hmm, sounds familiar) you find more. I'm amazed I'm not a crack addict ;)
That's a great idea.

I've only had "southern" bbq in Missouri so I don't have much experience unfortunately. I need to go to more southern states and stop vacationing in New York :p

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Some nice ideas there fellas!

@The Bunk, awesome! Yes, please share!

@Fanch, great idea! Memphis? You think they'll deliver jelly and peanut butter sandwiches too?

@the Seal Brown Knight, yes! Kickstarter or something! Y'all gotta get that BBQ pork out to me post haste! LOLZ!

@Butte, y'know, you're right. There's a great selection of sauces out there that can make most meats taste awesome without any time or effort, and it's a great little hobby for those of us that have got a lot going on, and just don't have the time to cook slow and low every week. I did that all the time when my girls were small.

Now that I'm semi-retired, I want to get more quality time with my BBQ. I got a simple recipe for dry ribs that I always use; salt, pepper, garlic rub and smoke with hickory wood chips soaked overnight in apple vinegar with a splash of Camp Coffee. Nice and smokey flavor.

My wife makes Chinese style wet ribs with a mixture of tomato sauce, honey, ginger, garlic, and star anise. Tastes great.

I've made ribs a load of times, but I just want to do something a little different.
How about some chicken or seafood ideas?

What about beef? I reckon stewing steak would slow cook nice, but I never tried it.

Otter

One Too Many
I do a slow roast ribeye joint. Rub it in mustard powder, garlic, seasalt and pepper. Sear the sides in a very hot dry pan to seal them then pop onto a roasting tray, cover with foil and roast at the lowest setting on you oven for about two and a half hours. Take the foil off for the last half hour to allow the meat to colour up. Great results every time. I usually reduce down some red wine and use the roasting juices to make a gravy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner