Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got my Michael Shayne DVDs today

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
My Michael Shayne Mysteries DVD set arrived in the mail, today. I just watched The Man Who Wouldn't Die and I enjoyed it immensely. This is the type of light humor I enjoy. (I should have known it'd be humorous, since Lloyd Nolan co-starred with Bob Hope in The Lemon Drop Kid. :D)

I also watched the special feature on Robert McGinnis and his art. (My avatar is his depiction of Richard S. Prather's detective, Shell Scott.) McGinnis did the art work for, apparently, all of the Michael Shayne books, and now the DVD covers.

Thank you, Atomic Glee, for introducing me to this series of movies. I'm looking forward to the next three in this set and to the many others I'll order in the future. I'll also look for some of the books. I can see they'll be the hard case mysteries I also like.

Lee

Now if only The Lemon Drop Kid would arrive!

Sunny

One Too Many
Lee, my local used bookstore has maybe half a dozen Michael Shayne books, mostly from the late 1950s. I bought one myself, and when I later posted it on PaperBackSwap it went immediately. Really surprised me!

Mark G

A-List Customer
As a Bond fan from the sixties he did a lot of the posters. The sardonic illustration of Connery in the jet pack from Thunderball is his. (McGinnis did the men and action and Frank Macarthy did the women)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Sunny said:
Lee, my local used bookstore has maybe half a dozen Michael Shayne books, mostly from the late 1950s. I bought one myself, and when I later posted it on PaperBackSwap it went immediately. Really surprised me!

Thank you, Sunny. I'll look there. And then I'll look at some of the local used book stores near me. There's one in Whittier that has always given me good luck. :)

Mark G said:
As a Bond fan from the sixties he did a lot of the posters. The sardonic illustration of Connery in the jet pack from Thunderball is his. (McGinnis did the men and action and Frank Macarthy did the women)

In the special features on the Shayne Dvd, McGinnis say that he's done about 1400 illustrations, and that he always painted the women. Maybe it's the other way round on the Bond poster?

I'd like to see a book of McGinnis's art. It'd be fascinating. I love pulp art and pin-ups.

Lee

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
So far, I've seen 3 of the 4 movies on the DVD. They have a nice balance of humor and mystery, and they look nice for their modest budgets.

Mark G

A-List Customer
MrNewport, You're right, I got my info from a poster book, and it did say he focused on the women. He did however, do all the artwork for "Diamonds are Forever" and the next two by himself so that's where I got confused.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
GeniusInTheLamp said:
So far, I've seen 3 of the 4 movies on the DVD. They have a nice balance of humor and mystery, and they look nice for their modest budgets.

Same here, Genius: 3 of the 4. I watched the third during a slow period at work, today! But then it was time to load the trucks and go home. lol

Mark G said:
MrNewport, You're right, I got my info from a poster book, and it did say he focused on the women. He did however, do all the artwork for "Diamonds are Forever" and the next two by himself so that's where I got confused.

He also did the poster for Gator, with Burt Reynolds. Quite the prolific artist, he is. Everything from women to full western scenery. I like his style

Lee

Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at the moment. - Robert Benchley

Sunny

One Too Many
MrNewportCustom said:
Thank you, Sunny. I'll look there. And then I'll look at some of the local used book stores near me. There's one in Whittier that has always given me good luck. :)

Good hunting! If you clean them out and need more, let me know. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24