Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got my new Stetson Temple, need to tighten it up a shade

PRW94

New in Town
Am making this a new thread since my "big headed newbie" one got so long. The Stetson Temple I ordered from the HatCo outlet arrived today, tried it on before letting the Mrs. wrap it up until 12/25 ... she loved it BTW, and I'll post pictures after Christmas.

I got a 7 3/4 because after multiple measures my head measured out at 24.25 inches and a tick over 62 cm. The hat is a little looser than I'd like right now, at this point in time. Not so much that it's going to fall or blow off my head in normal wear, just noticeably a bit loose. However, I'm not sending it back because if there's any shrinkage at all, it's probably going to be "just right," where if I got a 7 5/8 and there was any shrinkage, the hat probably would be unwearable.

In the "here and now," however, I'd like to tighten the hat up a bit, and I know the accepted way of doing that is the felt strips I've heard about in researching this purchase. What's a good source for those? And when you use them, do you have to put them all the way around the inside of the sweatband, do you just stick a couple of pieces in strategic places or what? Or is there another method you'd recommend to temporarily tighten the hat up a bit? Thanks in advance for any help!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
3m foam weather stripping from your local hardware store, with the adhesive backing, works well. If you don't want to stick something in, rolled up paper towel works too. Or you can buy these: http://www.thefedorastore.com/FedoraFelt-Sizing-Strip-p/strips.htm

Alternatively, if you have a lamp with an incandescent bulb still, dampen the inside of the sweatband with a moist towel, and plop the hat on the lampshade for a bit. The heat will gently tighten up the leather. This might work with the new CFL bulbs, but I haven't had the need to try it as of late.

If you're going for padding, how much and where depends on your own head shape.

Also, for future reference, this is the perfect question for the "ask a question, get an answer" thread stickied at the top of the forum.

lauro13

One of the Regulars
I recently go a new akubra and had the same problem. I sprayed the outside perimeter and moistened the sweatband a bit and then placed it in my oven. I DIDN'T TURN THE OVEN ON! but due to the pilot light being on at all times it's always warm inside. The hat dried overnight and shrunk to just the right size.

PRW94

New in Town
Hi, just now revisiting this, wouldn't mind at all for mods to move to the "questions" sticky that I overlooked ... did a search before asking and I still haven't gotten a handle on the search function, was having trouble narrowing down multiple hits so I just cast another line, sorry for repetition.

What I do have is the "jones" for another hat or two or three or four, LOL! ;)

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Send me an IM with your contact info and we at DelMonico Hatter will send you some sizing strips.

Jeff
Living the dream at
DelMonicohatter.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy