Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got my Top Hat...

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
:eek:
BTW what exactly consitutes "Cheap Suit" from Men's Warehouse.

donknotts_threescompany.jpg

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tony in Tarzana said:
Thanks, guys! Now to work up the nerve to wear it out of the house.

Tony, does your occupation allow you to wear different kinds of hats to and from work, or just on your off-time? I could picture you in black or white turtle neck with that hat, or an Arrow Collar style shirt and tie and khaki slacks or jeans. Of course, it's a very formal hat, but sometimes eclecticism works, especially in area of the country other than where I live in middle America. These suggestions are of course purely speculative, and perhaps if you try them, you'll find them ill-conceived, but you I think you'll make it work for a wear around somehow!

Dean

Tony in Tarzana

I can wear pretty much whatever I want at work. I've worn my bowler, my Homburgs and of course any number of fedoras. I go in a suit and tie sometimes just for the heck of it.

People are used to my hats at work, but I'm afraid the topper might be, well, over the top. I might just bring it along in its box and wear it and see if anybody notices. :)

Tony in Tarzana

funneman said:
I must concur with the others on this thread, you look great in the hat!

BTW what exactly consitutes "Cheap Suit" from Men's Warehouse.

Just a generic black two-button single breasted. It's all wool, made in Canada, under 200 bucks. Presentable, but nothing special.

Tony in Tarzana

Here's the tag inside the hat. The hat body doesn't look like felt, rather it seems to be made of a stiff fiberboard like material.

SingewaldTopHat11.jpg

It really doesn't look old at all. Maybe they still make nice top hats in Germany?

Topper

Vendor
Tony in Tarzana said:
Here's the tag inside the hat. The hat body doesn't look like felt, rather it seems to be made of a stiff fiberboard like material.
It really doesn't look old at all. Maybe they still make nice top hats in Germany?

What- o!

Spiffing Hat Tony !

As to the Shell ( Called a "gossamer") traditionally they are made from shallacked callico. The age can be deceptive, if you can find a mint one, very uncommon and hard to find, as have not be made for the public in decades....even in Germany.

If you dont mind me asking - how much did it cost? ( PM me or email if you don't wish to say pubically)

Pip-Pip

Doug

www.ascot-tophats.co.uk

Tony in Tarzana

Topper said:
What- o!

Spiffing Hat Tony !

As to the Shell ( Called a "gossamer") traditionally they are made from shallacked callico. The age can be deceptive, if you can find a mint one, very uncommon and hard to find, as have not be made for the public in decades....even in Germany.

If you dont mind me asking - how much did it cost? ( PM me or email if you don't wish to say pubically)

Pip-Pip

Doug

www.ascot-tophats.co.uk

Just thinking about how much I paid gives me a headache, and you need to get to 15 posts before I can PM you.

You're the expert, but I just can't see any evidence of age in my topper. It really looks brand new. It's a grand hat, I just need a grand occasion to wear it. I also need a proper evening suit to go with it, which I've wanted ever since I saw "Titanic."

I've pretty much resigned myself to bachelorhood, but if I ever do get married, I'll most likely be wearing this hat. :)

Now, if you're blue
And you don't know where to go to
Why don't you go where fashion sits
Puttin' on the Ritz
Different types who wear a daycoat
Pants with stripes and cutaway coat
Perfect fits
Puttin' on the Ritz

- Irving Berlin

Topper

Vendor
Topper said:
Thinking - You could always email me direct

2 to go....

1 to go - Ah well, made the quota now :lol:

Email is doug@ascot-tophats.co.uk

Or just go the the website! www.ascot-tophats.co.uk Has some useful bits on history.

Anyway, As to the date of your's - Silk Plush is no longer commercially manufactured. the exact date stopped is unconfirmed ( present thinking about 1956) Hatters still made Silk toppers for a few years afterwards until stock all went dry. So the exact date is depends on th hatter. Looking at the design shape likely to be anything form 1920's onwards. But looking at the label, the ink looks fresh so say about 1960 onwards, could even be up to the 1980ies.

Have to do some researdh on the old manufacturer if wanted exact date, to see when /if they went out of business.

Have you checked under the leather sweatband on the actual shell gossamer itself? Sometimes the Hatter will mark in pencil the date was made. ( not actual label, mearly scribbled)

Cheers
Doug

Topper

Vendor
Tony in Tarzana said:
And so I have. I love your website, by the way. Now which walking stick should I get? :)

Depends on what you want! hehe

All are sterling silver and new. I'm putting up new pictures soon for the one I recommend for engraving of initials on the top.

Unfortunately my web site is not set up for international orders yet for 'postage' so have to email me direct for quote. Anyway best if you email me direct with a request as I prefer not to do transactions on the forum / board. :eek:

PipPip

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou