Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grapes of Wrath - The Art of Cinematography

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I just saw The Grapes of Wrath for the first time in about fifteen years. I last saw it in a cinema and the print was not great, the dvd is much better (though it has that harsh break between tones that I see on most dvds and not the continuous gradation that you see on film). The movie, as I'm sure all would agree, is an absolute masterpiece, an almost perfect (ah hell, it is perfect) American classic. Ford is in perfect control of the material, Nunnally Johnson's screenplay is one of the best adaptations there have been, and unusually truthful to the material (if not always 100% accurate). Henry Fonda, an actor I don't love, is pefect as Tom Joad, his sour expression passing for bitter experience, and that nasally, donkey tone put to great effect.

grapes.jpeg

The real reason for this post though is to say that the cinematography was the real revelation in this viewing. Grapes is probably the most beautifully photgraphed film in American Cinema. Greg Toland puts poetry in every frame, even the material shot on sets. It's honest, as true-looking as a documentary, but perfectly composed throughout, a delicate balance of light and shadow that reflects the material of the film itself. All I can say is wow, and I thought his work on Citizen Kane was great. He also shot the criminally underrated and underseen Mad Love, which prefigures much of his work in Kane.

vno1.jpg

Film is a visual medium, but also an hypnotic one, and we often forget, or fail to notice the work of the cinematographer. James Wong Howe is another great one, whose work on Body and Soul and Sweet Smell of Success is also perfectly suited to the material, though also beautiful in its own right.

sweet_smell_of_success.jpg

Haskell Wexler is another great one. He imbued American Graffitti with a life I don't think it otherwise would have had, and his work on Bound for Glory picks up where Toland's work on Grapes leaves off. He also shot Matewan. All wonderful pieces of work.

bound_for_glory.jpg

Bert Glennon, who shot a couple of films with Josef von Sternberg is also worht mentioning. He gave the films that deep shimmer that we think of when (and if) we think of Sternberg.

scarletempress.jpg

That's a lot of blab. Thanks for hanging in. Anything you have to say about Grapes of Wrath or cinematography would be welcome.

:cheers1:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
No time for a long post, but two quick points:

Don't forget Gregg Toland's brilliant work for Sam Goldwyn - Dead End, Wuthering Heights, The Best Years of Our Lives, etc. An amazing artist. Not only was his work always gorgeous, but it always served the story absolutely appropriately.

Have you seen Haskell Wexler's son's recent film, a feature-length series of interviews with Haskell called "Tell Them Who You Are"? It's fascinating, and Haskell comes off as a brilliant iconoclast - and a helluva mean S.O.B.

No time to post about other great cinematographers now, but I'll try to later on - there are so many wonderful ones...

PS - Essential viewing for anyone interested in cinematography: "Visions of Light"! See its Internet Movie Database page:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0105764/

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Toland was a genius. Two others of the period that always seemed to stand out were John Alton, especially those great cheapie crime pics he did with Anthony Mann (fantastic stuff), and James Wong Howe who could even make a light comedy like MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE visually stunning.

Harry Lime

Suspended
And lest we forget...

The late, great Conrad Hall, Sr. A genius and a truly wonderful man. I had the privilege of meeting him once and he was everything you could hope; a humble and incredibly interesting gentleman. He was famous for saying once, in an overly intellectualized discussion about lighting (conducted by pointy-headed amateurs who bored him), "Lighting? There's only three kinds of lighting - front light, back light, and top light. Let's move on." That's what an artist does - eliminates all that is not necessary.

Harry Lime

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Conrad Hall was definitely a master - right up to his last films, American Beauty and Road to Perdition! And how could I not love James Wong Howe's work?

Okay, here are some of my other favorites, in no particular order:

Jack Cardiff - A Technicolor genius! Powell and Pressburger's A Matter of Life and Death (aka Stairway to Heaven), Black Narcissus, and The Red Shoes. John Huston's The African Queen, lots of others.

Guy Green - The masterful dark b/w of David Lean's Dickens films, Great Expectations and Oliver Twist. (He later directed some good stuff too.)

John Mescall - The great b/w of James Whale's 30s films, The Invisible Man, Bride of Frankenstein, Show Boat.

Joseph Walker - Frank Capra's favorite DP, who shot most of his famous films, including It's A Wonderful Life (along with Joseph Biroc, another prolific genius cinematographer). Also notable for being the primary inventor of the zoom lens.

Arthur Edeson - One of the all-time greats, starting in the silent era. All Quiet On The Western Front, Frankenstein, The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca...

Boris Kaufman - On the Waterfront, most of Sidney Lumet's early films (Twelve Angry Men, Long Day's Journey Into Night, The Pawnbroker, etc.)

Geoffrey Unsworth - 2001, Cabaret, Superman I and II (The great John Alcott also worked on 2001, then went on to shoot Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, and The Shining)

Gordon Willis - A modern master! All three Godfather films, Woody Allen's films from Annie Hall through The Purple Rose of Cairo (including the amzing b/w of Manhattan and the seamless effects work of Zelig)

Robert Burks - Hitchcock's masterful DP on Rear Window, Vertigo, North By Northwest, The Birds, etc.

There are so many more, and not just from Hollywood and Britain, but from all over the world...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80