Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grease

rue

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Am I the only one who's never really cared for the *message* of Grease? "To get your fella, you've got to act like a tramp." Not the most empowering message for little girls, I don't think.

(My favorite character in the movie is the one played by Eve Arden, if you haven't guessed.)

Thanks.... now I'll have that song in my head all day lol

You're right it IS one of those songs you can't get out of your head! lol

We went bowling in the arcade
We went strolling, drank lemonade
We made out under the dock
We stayed out till ten o'clock

Summer days drifting away
To, oh oh, those summer nights

See what I mean? [huh]

Last edited:
Well put, Lizzie!

Am I the only one who's never really cared for the *message* of Grease? "To get your fella, you've got to act like a tramp." Not the most empowering message for little girls, I don't think.

(My favorite character in the movie is the one played by Eve Arden, if you haven't guessed.)

Edward

Bartender

That's the big reason I love it - it's so hideously wrong (just like pretty much every teen romance flick, it has to be said). what horrifies me is how many people just don't see that and think it's a nice kids' / family film. A Rocky Horror bunch I used to be involved in did Grease as a one-of once (yeah, full shadow cast... it kinda worked). The audience that arrived were mostly families - parents my own age or a few years older, and very young kids (we're talking five, six, seven year olds). I can only assume said parents weren't bright enough to actually understand the story??

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Lizzie, I felt that way when I first saw the touring company of the Broadway musical years before the film was made. Of course, then the movie was vastly worse, because it had even more attractive stars and was seen by millions of kids. (And the movie, which added contemporary songs, also had much less to do the with the alleged good-natured nostalgia for the 50s/early 60s that was the show's initial schtick.)

Anyway, I completely agree that Grease's message - give up your uniqueness and conform to sexual stereotypes - is HIDEOUS, and the film's defacto position as a "great musical for kids" had probably created countless instances of people who handled the romances of their teen years (and beyond) poorly, hurting themselves and the people in their orbit.

Edward

Bartender
The opening number is quite a shrewd depiction of the differences between the sexes. I've not managed to see it on stage yet, but I gather the film was considerably toned down in terms of overt sexuality. Certainly, though, it is not the innocent film for kids that so many seem to think.

Edward

Bartender
Much better:

[video=youtube;JiRa7qrL5rY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiRa7qrL5rY[/video]

Course, this seems to have found its intended audience.

R.G. White

One of the Regulars

The thing is, I don't think many people actually take the message seriously, or even into consideration. It's just a fun movie, with fun songs.

Mae Croft

Familiar Face
I don't think that necessarily was the initial message, it always seemed to lean more towards do what you have to do to be with the one you want. Not too fond of that message, either, but Danny was in the same boat (albeit he already acted/dressed like a tramp - I don't hate it, lol), ready to give up the person he was and live a life he didn't want for the person he loved. I'm not really a romantic, so that doesn't appeal to me much and I mostly love the film for the jokes and songs. Sexism is definitely in the movie (see: Beauty School Drop Out) but it seems to all be tongue in cheek and self aware, though I could be wrong about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn