Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Photo of Original Flight Jackets

HPA Rep

Vendor
In my searching to discover the combat history of an Aleutian vet whose flight suit I now own, I stumbled upon this amazing photo with a plethora of flight jackets.

https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/oralhistory/images/interviews/Aleutian.jpg

Also this great photo of a fellow in a life vest

http://www.imgrum.net/media/1362211720152355697_1728229752

There are several unfinished, pre-1938 B-3's among the airmen in the first link.

That USN life vest would fetch some serious cash today; I couldn't get the money out of my bank fast enough!

kowalski

Practically Family
How can you discern the manufacturer when the jackets are sooooooo very small in the pic?
I guess :cool:, from left; stand-up airman nr 6 / 10 /14 and 17 .
It is simple . All jackets are black, these jackets are white (nubuck /suede only natural sheepskin )certainly it B3

Area\ place the photo was taken it Aleuty
They most often occur there + Arctic

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
I guess :cool:, from left; stand-up airman nr 6 / 10 /14 and 17 .
It is simple . All jackets are black, these jackets are white (nubuck /suede only natural sheepskin ) sure it B3

Area\ place the photo was taken it Aleuty . too, were commonly Called Arctic jacket

Yes, it is easy to discern the color differences so as to distinguish those made of the off-white, unfinished skins from what would be "redskin" B-3 and B-6 jackets in this photo, but there is absolutely no way for us to determine if these same unfinished, early B-3's were manufactured by SFAD. Several manufacturers produced this type of B-3 such as Werber Leather Coat Co., Phillips Tanning, etc., not just the USAC's SFAD. I believe you are erroneously using the manufacturing source of SFAD to designate this overall type of B-3, when SFAD only designates an air depot within the USAC Materiel Command and not a jacket type (except in the range of Original-Maker repro jackets by Eastman).

I have never encountered any vintage documents that refer to the unfinished B-3's as "Arctic jackets," nor would I expect to so encounter such documents or even hear of such a verbal reference simply because they were intended for use in any high-altitude, cold environment and can even be seen being worn in WWII in the VIII Bomber Command in England, among other locales that were not in Arctic regions.

Last edited:

Xopher

A-List Customer
Is there any collective resource available that lists and dates B-3 contract numbers and manufacturers? I would very much love a book or print out or some kind of document that has this information in it. I am absolutely infatuated by them.

Xopher

A-List Customer
Great picture, thanks for sharing! How is your Steven McColgan a2 so far? I want put a trigger on this jacket but not sure the quality

Hammerklavier- I am really loving my Steve McColgan A2. Ive had it 3 or 4 years now and its beginning to develop some really nice natural patina. I really like the quality and weight much better than the US Authentic A-2 that I had briefly. I think if you are on a budget, it really is IMHO the best product in that price range. If you'd like I can send you some photos of it now.

kowalski

Practically Family
Yes, it is easy to discern the color differences so as to distinguish those made of the off-white, unfinished skins from what would be "redskin" B-3 and B-6 jackets in this photo, but there is absolutely no way for us to determine if these same unfinished, early B-3's were manufactured by SFAD. Several manufacturers produced this type of B-3 such as Werber Leather Coat Co., Phillips Tanning, etc., not just the USAC's SFAD. I believe you are erroneously using the manufacturing source of SFAD to designate this overall type of B-3, when SFAD only designates an air depot within the USAC Materiel Command and not a jacket type (except in the range of Original-Maker repro jackets by Eastman).

I have never encountered any vintage documents that refer to the unfinished B-3's as "Arctic jackets," nor would I expect to so encounter such documents or even hear of such a verbal reference simply because they were intended for use in any high-altitude, cold environment and can even be seen being worn in WWII in the VIII Bomber Command in England, among other locales that were not in Arctic regions.

This is very helpful for my what You write, very sorry for the targeting type name SFAD
Just when I see white(suede) B3 i think SFAD

kowalski

Practically Family

i think/write arctic because that was my benchmark
example
USAAF TYPE B3 ARCTIC

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=73

unfortunately does not have historical documents confirming the correct name,maybe it was a common name/ in the jargon or slang
maybe ...

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
This is very helpful for my what You write, very sorry for the targeting type name SFAD
Just when I see white(suede) B3 i think SFAD

No need to apologize at all. You are learning, and when in learning mode, errors get made. I've been studying this stuff since I was a child and I am still learning, and I'll never stop learning. And so will my errors continue. I just try to research as much as I can before I open my mouth so as not to mislead others and embarrass myself. You're off to a good start because you have an obvious eye for detail. :)

HPA Rep

Vendor
i think/write arctic because that was my benchmark
example
USAAF TYPE B3 ARCTIC

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=73

unfortunately does not have historical documents confirming the correct name,maybe it was a common name/ in the jargon or slang
maybe ...

"Arctic" has been used by manufactures and sellers of this style for some years, and some collectors/enthusiasts have also used the term. It's easy to understand how or why the term came to be used, but any dedicated research will reveal that the term is just something contrived in order to describe, differentiate, sell, and/or explain the item. It's not the first nor the last item to be given an erroneous name, but we, as enthusiasts of the style, have some obligation to operate with precision and adopt proper terminology that doesn't misstate or mislead, at least that's my own opinion.

So it's an unfinished, early B-3. The B-3's produced from the test samples in 1933 up to the beginning of the dyed-and-core-sealed versions in 1938 were produced like this and had nothing to do with the Arctic. During WWII, some of these older B-3's were shipped to the Aleutians, but as I stated previously, they also ended up in England, and you can see them stateside (a friend's dad wore one in training), and in the Pacific, too, and I've seen them in Germany during the postwar Berlin Airlift.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Is there any collective resource available that lists and dates B-3 contract numbers and manufacturers? I would very much love a book or print out or some kind of document that has this information in it. I am absolutely infatuated by them.

There is no solitary, comprehensive, dedicated study yet published that relies on original source material. I have what is surely the overwhelming majority of original-source documents on the subject, which were obtained when I pulled the A-2 data out of the archives in '94-'98, the overwhelming majority of which was unearthed in '94.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
It looks like two of the guys kneeling in the first row are wearing civilian flat caps. Am I seeing that right?

Neat pre- or early war picture. The B-18 is a cool-looking airplane.

Xopher

A-List Customer
There is no solitary, comprehensive, dedicated study yet published that relies on original source material. I have what is surely the overwhelming majority of original-source documents on the subject, which were obtained when I pulled the A-2 data out of the archives in '94-'98, the overwhelming majority of which was unearthed in '94.
Think maybe we can talk you into writing a book? ;)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Honest question: Are you infatuated with B-3 jackets, or B-3 contract numbers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21