Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

greatest movie ever made?????

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
oh hell...i guess i'll throw pulp fiction out there...it's like #2 in my book...all of James Cagney's 1930s roles get lumped into #1...with that you have: public enemy, lady killer, roaring 20s, g'men, taxi...and of course the thin man is a runner up to both of these positions...

then for more recent you got shaun of the dead and hot fuzz...ugh...just too many to name...

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
For me Hitchcock's "Vertigo" is a masterpiece. Everything about it makes it the perfect movie - the plot, the music, the sets and of course the acting - Jimmy Stewart's tortured Scotty is a fabulous performance - one of his best.

I went to San Francisco as part of our honeymoon this Summer and we did our own Hitchcock Tour - we visited most of the locations in the movie which have pretty much remained unchanged.

Although I have to say that Breakfast at Tiffany's is my favourite movie of all time. ;)

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
Ladies and Gentlemen;

For "Greatest Movie Ever Made", I submit for your consideration Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings", parts 1-3, screened back to back as they were meant to be viewed. Long? Without a doubt. Brilliant? ABSOLUTELY!!

LOTR is SO great that we may be able to forgive Peter Jackson for his "King Kong" remake.......

B

BAZ

As most on here, I can't pick just ONE!!
So, here's a selection:
King Kong (the RKO original)
Star Wars
Bride Of Frankenstein
Wizard Of Oz
All Quiet On The Western Front
The Hill

Ok I better stop..........

celtic

A-List Customer
dr greg said:
As an ex-film reviewer and serious film buff, I gotta say Apocalypse Now, it's flawed but that just makes it greater, runner-up would be Wages of Fear.

<-----
:eusa_clap

It's in my top 5. Which changes with my mood.

My FAVORITE movies aren't necessarily the "greatest ever made", though...
It's just so subjective. I like certain movies because of how BAD they are.

And I know I'm a heretic, but some movies that people consider GREAT bore the Dickens out of me. Citizen Kane, for one. :eek:

but here are some I love: Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, Leon (The Professional), Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, To Kill a Mockingbird, 12 Angry Men, Boogie Nights, Rosemary's Baby, The Omen 1-2, Godfather Triology...

and of course, one of the, if not THE best movies:

It's a Wonderful Life

WH1

Practically Family
BAZ said:
As most on here, I can't pick just ONE!!
So, here's a selection:
King Kong (the RKO original)
Star Wars
Bride Of Frankenstein
Wizard Of Oz
All Quiet On The Western Front
The Hill

Ok I better stop..........

The Hill,
Is that the Sean Connery movie from the early 60's about the british military?

I would add Kubricks Paths of Glory with Kirk Douglas and Adolphe Menjou. For those who have never seen this movie it is one of his best.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Where is HappyFilmLuvGuy? I may miss him.

Every time one of these polls pops up there is an overwhelming number of responses for films made in the USA. It would be interesting to know what the non-US members of the Lounge believe to be the [subjective] best films of all time. Some of the finest work ever by actors, directors, cinematographers, and other disciplines has come from France, Italy, Sweden, Japan, Germany, Great Britain, and other nations.

Are we cognizant of the societal influences on and of truly great films? To fail to recognize and at least attempt to understand the milieu from which a great film arises is akin to viewing with one eye closed. Depth perception is lost. Perepherial vision is halved. We see but do not comprehend. We seek to be entertained rather than enlightened. We deny ourselves the bounty that is offered by the truly great practicioners of the cinematic art form.

Reading some of our responses, by and large, I'd say an appreciation for the art of the cinema is rapidly disappearing from the USA. Where is the appreciation for nuance, texture, shade, layering, and the infinite possibilities of the medium? For those who attend institutions of higher learning, does anyone even take film appreciation classes anymore? Are they offered? Or have we finally become the great cultural wasteland so often spoken of and written about for decades?

Some of the films mentioned are or will become classics. Others are dreck. Of course, this is just my humble opinion.
:)

Subvet642

A-List Customer
carter said:
Every time one of these polls pops up there is an overwhelming number of responses for films made in the USA. It would be interesting to know what the non-US members of the Lounge believe to be the [subjective] best films of all time. Some of the finest work ever by actors, directors, cinematographers, and other disciplines has come from France, Italy, Sweden, Japan, Germany, Great Britain, and other nations.

Are we cognizant of the societal influences on and of truly great films? To fail to recognize and at least attempt to understand the milieu from which a great film arises is akin to viewing with one eye closed. Depth perception is lost. Perepherial vision is halved. We see but do not comprehend. We seek to be entertained rather than enlightened. We deny ourselves the bounty that is offered by the truly great practicioners of the cinematic art form.
:)

You are, of course absolutely right. While most of my favorite films are American, one notable film from Great Britain that has to be ranked among the greatest is Mrs. Miniver. It was hoped that if the American people could see the valiant struggle of the British people during the Blitz, that it might persuade America to enter the war sooner rather than later.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Z
North by Northwest
And the Ship Sails On
and
modern-times-chaplin.jpg

just_me

Practically Family
carter said:
For those who attend institutions of higher learning, does anyone even take film appreciation classes anymore? Are they offered? Or have we finally become the great cultural wasteland so often spoken of and written about for decades?
I'm way past the institutions of higher learning phase of my life lol , but my daughter took two film classes last year - French Cinema and Russian Cinema.

Imahomer

Practically Family
It's a Wonderful Life!

Nothing better than a movie that shows the worth of a human life. I can watch it right now and I'll be in tears at the end.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I second Lawrence of Arabia. It has epic scope, yet an intimate story. But what makes it The Greatest Film of All Time in my book is the cinematography. The color and lighting and camera placement are astonishing. There are shots in that movie that will never be duplicated. This is the movie that captured an actual mirage on screen. It is an astounding achievement in film craft. Yes, I said FILM, not digital-highdef-RED-broughhaha. Real film that had to kept dirt free in the friggi'n desert. No green screens and post production tricks for David Lean and F.A. Young, just the epitome of optical film making that still stands as a triumph today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany